Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2016, 08:19   #3796
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I bought a bike recently, but the insurance policy they gave me had the wrong engine number - i returned it to them for correction.
They have now given me the original policy document (with the wrong engine no) and another printout with the correct engine no (but with IDV and premium fields showing 0)

The dealership says that as long as i have both documents, thats enough - is this true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
No. That's not true. Insurance policy document should always reflect the correct engine no. Please do not accept two policy papers, ask the Insurance co to provide one single document with all correct details. If required you may give them a copy of the RC which has the correct information about the bike.
Check the document issued with correct Engine No.

It is not necessary to have a single document to reflect all correct details. There is a provision of Endorsement on an existing/issued policy for many reasons including correction in data.

Does the title or any statement thereof say Endorsement in any form on top of the policy already issued, with correct policy number referred? If so, that is a valid document to carry alongwith the policy already issued. If not, get it clarified from the issuer on its validity and enact accordingly.
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 19:12   #3797
Senior - BHPian

Went with HDFC Ergo. Superior web and mobile presence, and better customer experience. Paying a little more is ok, but as someone who is into digital strategy, marketing and commerce, I find it difficult to go with companies whose digital presence and IT systems are suboptimal. Inexcusable, in 2016.

ICICI Lombard, Royal Sundaram, Tata AIG, Reliance, Oriental - FYI, if you are reading. I did go through your sites and online quotation calculators. Your approach of taking customers' contact info, but having a crappy system (e.g. doesn't work properly with Chrome) for capturing other details and coming up with a quote - which leads to the prospect leaving midway - and then following up by calling and disturbing at all odd hours - doesn't work for some of us.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 28th September 2016 at 19:16.
nilanjanray is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2016, 23:28   #3798
BHPian

It was a bad day and my I went to a village side area in western UP with my brother to see a plot that he has bought. It was a kachhi road and I was trying to turn the car and I miscalculated the edge and slop and the car staarted rolling down into the field. The engine had stalled (as it happens sometimes in first gear) so the breaks didn't work and I was so nervous in that moment that I even forgot to apply handbrake. I am still feeling so stupid about it. :( Anyway. There were some bricks put down there and they just damaged the front bumper and left fender. The worse was yet to come. We asked help from a nearby farmer who had a tractor there, to pull the car back to road. He said that the back bumper may also get damaged if he tries to pull with the tractor. He advised me to get a crane which is available 2 km. away. I also thought it would be better to spend some more money and get it done by a crane. That was a very very bad decision. The crane guys were total morons they put a 'fibre patta' kind of thing around the car and tried to pull it. I feel I am more stupid than those guys that I didn't foresee what was going to happen. Since it was the first time I was getting a car pulled up or towed and I though these crane guys must be knowing what they are doing. But this is what happened when they pulled the car up. both side doors got huge dents. Now what story do you think I should tell the insurance guys? Should I tell them the true incident? I have zero dep. policy and have already 1 out of 2 claims. Do you think I should tell them the whole incident? I think that the whole thing was part of an accident and they should accept the claim. But you know, they look for excuses to deny claims. They may just say that the damage on doors was caused intentionally or due to ignorance after the incident and so they will not be covered.
Attached Thumbnails
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-p_20161002_170322-copy.jpg  

Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-p_20161002_170307.jpg  

Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-p_20161002_170337.jpg  

Old 3rd October 2016, 08:52   #3799
Senior - BHPian

My Polo 1.2 MPi is up for its first insurance renewal. Bajaj Allianz are quoting approximately 15k excluding add on covers. I've made no claims yet. The IDV is just over five lakh.

Any advice if this is a good deal or should I consider switching providers?
Old 3rd October 2016, 16:52   #3800
BHPian

@chandra1, I can't answer about insurance but can offer you a tip. Most cars have a tow hook as standard accessory and provision in front and rear bumper for fixing. It is also available on Amazon. A tow hook would have avoided all that mess.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 18:25   #3801
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I was looking to renew my policy last week, After a whole lot of teeth pulling to get a proper quote and talking about all the clauses, I have decided to go with Royal Sundaram against Future generali.

The Clincher as expected was the continuation of the Zero dep policy from Royal as I was their existing customer.

I called a few service centers randomly and both are accepted as cashless claims by fiat service center.

There are some differences in the services they provide but not enough difference warranted for me to switch providers at this moment.

@Ghodlur Special thanks for providing your insight into this matter.

Now on to better things in life..
Old 3rd October 2016, 20:22   #3802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandra1 View Post
Now what story do you think I should tell the insurance guys? Should I tell them the true incident? I have zero dep. policy and have already 1 out of 2 claims. Do you think I should tell them the whole incident?
The Insurance co cannot deny your claim for insurance. So go ahead and tell the truth. Its an accident and as per Insurance policy caused by external means. Unless you were drunk while driving or do not have a valid driver licence. One thing for sure, the Insurance co is going to view you as a high risk customer so expect a huge bump in your next year's premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Any advice if this is a good deal or should I consider switching providers?
Try getting quotes on comparator websites like Policybazaar, coverfox etc. Then check with which Insurance co does VW workshop have cashless tie up. Get the quotes online from those Insurance websites and compare line to line. Take an informed decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMind View Post
@Ghodlur Special thanks for providing your insight into this matter.
Welcome Prasant.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 23:26   #3803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The Insurance co cannot deny your claim for insurance. So go ahead and tell the truth.
In theory that is correct but we know practically many clams are rejected everyday giving excuses like - 'all the damages have not been caused in a single incidents so we can't cover all' or 'we can't cover damages on both sides of the car' and so on.

Service adviser at Maruti told me that Insurance companies do not cover any damages caused during towing or bringing the vehicle to ASS after an accident.
Old 5th October 2016, 10:41   #3804

My car insurance for my Oct-2015 Honda City is due to expire in 10 days. I have received quote from Honda Assure of around Rs30k for a zero depreciation comprehensive policy from Universal Sompo (IDV ~Rs940k).

On coverfox, I can get similar zero depreciation policy with higher IDV (Rs 10,50,000) for Rs20-26k from various other insurers.

My question is, is it worth going with an online marketplace for insurance to save about 4-8k. I am a safe driver with no claims made in the past 4 years. Key things to consider are ease of claims, claim acceptance process and cashless. Would appreciate your suggestions.
Old 5th October 2016, 11:05   #3805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAP View Post
My car insurance for my Oct-2015 Honda City is due to expire in 10 days. I have received quote from Honda Assure of around Rs30k for a zero depreciation comprehensive policy from Universal Sompo (IDV ~Rs940k).

On coverfox, I can get similar zero depreciation policy with higher IDV (Rs 10,50,000) for Rs20-26k from various other insurers.

My question is, is it worth going with an online marketplace for insurance to save about 4-8k. I am a safe driver with no claims made in the past 4 years. Key things to consider are ease of claims, claim acceptance process and cashless. Would appreciate your suggestions.
All insurers have information on their tieups with major automobile service centres for cashless insurance process. If you get a lower quote from an Insurer online, then go ahead with it.
There is little difference between dealer/manufacturer offered insurance, the process is the same.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 16:32   #3806
BHPian

Is it a good choice to go with National Insurance for a new car? They are offering me a good rate compared to the dealer's standard provider.
How good are the services, claims process of NIC compared to private players?
Old 5th October 2016, 16:39   #3807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Went with HDFC Ergo. Superior web and mobile presence, and better customer experience. Paying a little more is ok, but as someone who is into digital strategy, marketing and commerce, I find it difficult to go with companies whose digital presence and IT systems are suboptimal. Inexcusable, in 2016.
Will this in any way impact the core service provided - viz. claim settlement, road side assistance etc.?
How does HDFC Ergo fare in these?
Old 5th October 2016, 17:23   #3808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
Is it a good choice to go with National Insurance for a new car? They are offering me a good rate compared to the dealer's standard provider.
How good are the services, claims process of NIC compared to private players?
Public sector companies do not normally have tie-up with service centres for cashless claim. Inspection and assessment also takes longer time.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 16:28   #3809
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Public sector companies do not normally have tie-up with service centres for cashless claim. Inspection and assessment also takes longer time.
You are wrong here. Public sector insurance companies are having tie-ups and they provide cashless service. Haven't experienced any lag in the inspection times, till now.
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 17:32   #3810
BHPian

Guys, need help in deciding!

Ciaz 2nd year insurance, and foll are the quotes:

National : 14198
Maruti insurance: 16360

Both are zero dep policies.
Maruti Ins is cashless, National is reimbursement based.
Another difference being told to me is compulsory deductable by National is 3500, Maruti is NIL.

Which one to choose ?

Last edited by ptaneja : 6th October 2016 at 17:41.

Most Viewed