Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2018, 18:34   #4186

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Paint cost will be covered 50% as a plastic component.
Labour (including painting labour component) will be covered 100%.

However, what you should contemplate is:
Would you be looking at preserving and transferring this 50% in buying new car?
Only in that case, it will be immensely useful to you.

Otherwise, weigh various factors:
1. cost of total repairs
2. using this 50% NCB for new car, if plan in future
3. buying a new car insurance for your 10 year old car, maybe only TPT, when you do transfer the NCB
4. NCB loss if availed now on present car only
We intend to keep the car for 2 or max 3 more years. No plans for new car purchase (at least in my name) so NCB transfer is not an issue in the immediate future. NCB currently is 2.2K so over 2 years it would be about 4K only approx. I'll check the costs tomorrow and weigh the factors. Thanks a lot for your inputs.
Old 26th January 2018, 22:21   #4187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshekm View Post
We intend to keep the car for 2 or max 3 more years. No plans for new car purchase (at least in my name) so NCB transfer is not an issue in the immediate future. NCB currently is 2.2K so over 2 years it would be about 4K only approx. I'll check the costs tomorrow and weigh the factors. Thanks a lot for your inputs.
Even so, if you use insurance now, you will be down to 0% NCB which will be useless on any new or renewal insurance and it will take quite a time (5 years) to build up that 50%. So if you do plan to upgrade in future and can take repairs hit, weigh it properly and decide.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:35   #4188
BHPian

Guys I’ve had 2 accidents on my car, unfortunately on 2 different sides (one on left side of the bumper and another on the rear right side door). How can I claim insurance for both the sides in a single claim? Please help!
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:46   #4189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
How can I claim insurance for both the sides in a single claim?
I had claimed once this way saying I was caught in between like a sandwich collision. It was approved after some reasoning with the surveyor. I had three side damage but he approved front and back alone.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 20:56   #4190
BHPian

Will it affect the Zero Dep policy, if Regular service done at local workshop?

I have a Zero Dep policy from Bajaj Allianz for my VW Vento. As the warranty period is over, I am planning to get it serviced at a garage of my choice which is not a VW service center. Will this affect my Zero Dep insurance policy?
Old 6th February 2018, 20:59   #4191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
I am planning to get it serviced at a garage of my choice which is not a VW service center. Will this affect my Zero Dep insurance policy?

I do not think that it will affect the insurance. However I would recommend that you maintain the service bills and a service history file for the car. In the event of any dispute, which is highly unlikely, the records will come of use.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 21:18   #4192
BHPian

Under what amount is it better to go with self repair instead of insurance? While backing up, didn't notice a tree and hit a tree. Rear bumper of Jazz dented. would it be worth it going with insurance or paying out of pocket? Any idea whether bumper needs to be replaced or can be repaired? Minor dent to the rear right door too. Can the dents in door be remove cleanly? I have zero-dep insurance

Also, I have already paid for the renewal premium which starts next month which includes NCB. If I make a claim now, will they charge me for the NCB amount?
Old 7th February 2018, 07:58   #4193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
Under what amount is it better to go with self repair instead of insurance? While backing up, didn't notice a tree and hit a tree. Rear bumper of Jazz dented. would it be worth it going with insurance or paying out of pocket? Any idea whether bumper needs to be replaced or can be repaired? Minor dent to the rear right door too. Can the dents in door be remove cleanly? I have zero-dep insurance

Also, I have already paid for the renewal premium which starts next month which includes NCB. If I make a claim now, will they charge me for the NCB amount?
If the amount of repair is less than the NCB amount applicable during the policy, then its worth to repair from own pocket instead of claiming Insurance. Other wise Insurance claim is always beneficial.

If the bumper is cracked completely then it will need replacement. If not and there are minor scratches, then it can be repaired.

Since the Insurance is claimed during the existing policy period but the NCB claimed during renewal, you will have to return back the NCB amount (ideally). Let Insurance co ask for it. Till then no need to mention the same. In any case your next renewal should reflect the zero NCB.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 13:12   #4194
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Couple of days back, while on a highway, I had to stop at an intersection due to halted vehicles in front of me. After about half a minute of stopping, I heard a huge noise at the rear of my vehicle. I got down and saw that two guys in a bike had rammed into my car (Baleno). The rear bumper was severely dented and there was also a minor hole on the bumper, hitting some metal inside. Also, the bike's headlamp/handle had managed to touch the right bottom corner of my car dicky, which left a small dent there with paint peeled off.

Here's my confusion now. My car has not even completed one year from its purchase, so no plans of getting this repaired at any outside local shop. So, I went to Maruti authorized service center (same place where all services on my car are being carried out). They inspected the vehicle and quoted a cost of approximately 10-11K (around Rs. 6500 for rear bumper replacement and around Rs. 3500 for dicky denting/painting plus taxes). Mine is ICICI Lombard insurance with 50% NCB available that was carried over from my previous car insurance. The NCB amount is around Rs. 5812 in my existing policy, and my car insurance is due for its second-year renewal on April 12, 2018 (about 1.5 months from now). Though the service center is advising me to get this done through insurance, I am confused what to do. Obviously, the repair cost quoted is higher than my current NCB amount, so does it mean I should blindly go ahead with claiming insurance now or will I stand to lose more in future premiums because of this claim. Another question in my mind is - why am I paying premiums for 12 years now, without making a claim when necessary! Planning to leave the car tomorrow for repair. Any practical advice here will be of great help. Thanks.

Last edited by shijanto4 : 18th February 2018 at 13:18.
Old 18th February 2018, 15:19   #4195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijanto4 View Post
Hi Friends,
... I am confused what to do. Obviously, the repair cost quoted is higher than my current NCB amount, so does it mean I should blindly go ahead with claiming insurance now or will I stand to lose more in future premiums because of this claim. Another question in my mind is - why am I paying premiums for 12 years now, without making a claim when necessary! Planning to leave the car tomorrow for repair. Any practical advice here will be of great help. Thanks.
Go for the claim. Insurance is exactly for this purpose.
Yes, after 'kitna deti hein', saving NCB is the next popular thing among us Indian car owners.

Let's assume everyone just claims all accident repair costs. What's going to happen? Most of us lose NCB, so premium increases in the future years. Also number of claims increases overall and the insurance companies will increase the premium overall. So yes, there will be an increase in how much we have to spend for insurance.

On the other hand, there won't be any fights and arguments when an accident happens - no 'it's not my fault', 'you pay for my damage', no angry crowds to handle. Also no need to tackle the insurance surveyors. In fact drivers/owners need not 'figure out' how to repair the car. Insurance companies will 'fight' among themselves and do it.

This is the way it happens in most other countries.
JohnyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 18:17   #4196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
Let's assume everyone just claims all accident repair costs. What's going to happen? Most of us lose NCB, so premium increases in the future years. Also number of claims increases overall and the insurance companies will increase the premium overall. So yes, there will be an increase in how much we have to spend for insurance.
3rd party claim is so tough here and everyone wants to save their own NCB so the it’s your fault you pay me fight is still there.
Old 19th February 2018, 08:00   #4197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijanto4 View Post
Another question in my mind is - why am I paying premiums for 12 years now, without making a claim when necessary! Planning to leave the car tomorrow for repair. Any practical advice here will be of great help. Thanks.
The amount you quoted for repairs is roughly equivalent to 2 years NCB amount which practically means is that you save the NCB for 2 years and then get your car repaired. Are you willing to do that? I suppose not, hence getting the repairs done through insurance claim is the most practical way to go about it.

I would still suggest to get the repairs estimate from a FNG, not the road side ones. The repairs may cost less than 10K. If you are worried about the paint quality even MASS wont be able to restore to the factory paint quality.
Old 19th February 2018, 08:55   #4198

I have claimed an insurance in the current cycle and would like to get suggestions on the best options to take for Insurance renewal plan post a claim. Since the NCB amount is quite high, in case I make a claim for the next 2 years I would lose the NCB discount.

Background
My current plan (Tata AIG Pearl Choice for Corolla Altis (March 2015) has the following main features
1) NCB protection
2) RTI
3) Zero Dep
4) Additional features like RSA, Key replacement, Hotel stay etc.

Cost highlights
Premium - 39k
IDV 11.5 Lakhs
NCB - 50% and approx. Rs 8000

New plan offered
The agent has offered me 2 packages
1) Continue with the all the existing options except NCB protection (Rs 31k)
2) Go in for only the minimum required (Rs 20K) i.e. Basic insurance + 3rd party.

My Questions
1) Which plan should I go in for based on the assumption that I will not be able to make a claim in case the insurance value does not exceed Rs 45k (assuming this on a simplistic calculation of the NCB value * 6 years - some reduction in premium due to IDV going down)

2) Ideally I would like to be only protected for RTI and major accidental damage, but RTI does not seem to be available as a stand alone option for a car which is 3+ years old.

3) My experience during my last claim with TATA AIG and the agent has been really positive, so would like to stick with them only.

Sujoy
Old 19th February 2018, 10:01   #4199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
3rd party claim is so tough here and everyone wants to save their own NCB so the it’s your fault you pay me fight is still there.
Yes. I think it's time for us to push for easier 3rd party claims. Now because of 'NCB Protection', the insurance companies are gaining.
Think, how much time and effort can be saved if there is no need for 'it's your fault' fighting. And the peace of mind.
Old 19th February 2018, 11:25   #4200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujoy Mukherjee View Post
My Questions
1) Which plan should I go in for based on the assumption that I will not be able to make a claim in case the insurance value does not exceed Rs 45k (assuming this on a simplistic calculation of the NCB value * 6 years - some reduction in premium due to IDV going down)

2) Ideally I would like to be only protected for RTI and major accidental damage, but RTI does not seem to be available as a stand alone option for a car which is 3+ years old.

3) My experience during my last claim with TATA AIG and the agent has been really positive, so would like to stick with them only.

Sujoy
Sujoy,
Simple thumb rule is if the car repair cost in case of any damage is more than the NCB amount claimed during renewal, then getting the repairs done though insurance claim is the only practical way. Limiting oneself to a certain amount in order to save NCB is not at all practical.

Coming to your query: Amongst the two options which you have mentioned, I would suggest to opt for option B and add only zero dep add on cover cost to the premium. This way you still be will be covered against any major repairs without burning a big hole in the pocket.

Return to Invoice is generally offered by Insurance co for the first two years of ownership and is helpful only in case of Total loss or car getting stolen.

I would also suggest you to look for competitive rates instead of sticking to Tata AIG. Agreed you had a good experience, next Insurance co may have an even better one.

Most Viewed