Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2018, 17:58   #4261
BHPian

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_dominator View Post
Hi Dhananjay,

AFAIK Hyundai Assured Program has just started unlimited zero dep claims for all the partner companies.
Hello sir,

Thank you for this hot tip! I enquired about this with the ASS and they have confirmed that from this financial year onwards, all the HAP policies that have zero dep in the policy have unlimited claims. I got this in an email from them. Basically they check the policy date for this and it should be after April 1st. Mine was May first week so I went for insurance claim hopping like a bunny. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijanto4 View Post
I went through pretty much the same situation as yours two months back, i.e., confused whether to claim or not, losing NCB if claimed, pending annual service with oil change, etc., in two weeks after the accident.
Whatever you have said makes perfect sense sir. I too did the math and that works out way better than paying from my pocket. So I finally claimed the insurance and I'm glad I did! Saved 12-13k overall. Thank you for your advice. I'm sure this will also help other people who are in this dilemma.

A big shout out to all the T-BHP family members for the valuable advice.

Regards,
Dhananjay
Dhananjay_Desai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 13:22   #4262
BHPian

Hello guys,

I need a help with some information relating to NCB.
Currently I have a car insurance from New India Assurance and there is nothing written on it with regards to NCB. This insurance will end in a couple of weeks and I have not made a claim this year.

So, when I renew my insurance, what should be my NCB? Will it be 0 or 20%?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,
A.
Old 24th May 2018, 13:44   #4263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayankm View Post
Hello guys,

I need a help with some information relating to NCB.
Currently I have a car insurance from New India Assurance and there is nothing written on it with regards to NCB. This insurance will end in a couple of weeks and I have not made a claim this year.
Is this a new car? If this is the first renewal and you don't have a claim in the year, the NCB discount will be 20%.

Table on this link shows how NCB stacks up over the years.

https://www.policybazaar.com/motor-i...aim-bonus-ncb/
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 13:57   #4264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is this a new car? If this is the first renewal and you don't have a claim in the year, the NCB discount will be 20%.
Thanks for the link.
The car was registered in 2016.
So in the first year I had 1 claim and has renewed the insurance with New India with 0 NCB.
The second year, I had no claims (policy was from New India) and have just renewed the insurance with Royal Sundaram. This will be active from mid June.

2016-17 - New India - 1 claim
2017-18 - New India - No claim
2018-19 - Royal Sundaram - What should be the NCB?

My confusion is whether I should have 20% NCB or 25%.
Old 24th May 2018, 13:59   #4265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayankm View Post
My confusion is whether I should have 20% NCB or 25%.
20%, since this is the first year without claims. The moment you have a claim, the counter is reset.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 14:02   #4266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
20%, since this is the first year without claims. The moment you have a claim, the counter is reset.
This is what I thought too.
Unfortunately the customer care agent at policybazaar confused me and renewed the policy with 25% NCB. Now I have to get this changed.

Thanks once again.
Old 25th May 2018, 15:03   #4267
BHPian

A quick query.

MY Car insurance policy expired on 6th of May this month. It had a 45% NCB. Now the surveyor came and submitted the report to the insurance provider (Tata AIG) that the car is not fit for insurance (it's an 8 year old car with multiple signs of dents/plastic part breakage on the outside only. Mechanicals and engine are all as good as new). When I called the customer care, I was told that I can get only basic 3rd party insurance.

1. Should I contact some other insurer too or go for the basic 3rd party insurance? I don't intend to keep the car for more than 2 years more at max.

2. What will happen to the NCB? can I ask for NCB certificate if I am switching to basic 3rd party Insurance?

3. Anything that I am missing here?
Old 25th May 2018, 16:06   #4268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
1. Should I contact some other insurer too or go for the basic 3rd party insurance? I don't intend to keep the car for more than 2 years more at max.
Yes, you should contact other insurers too irrespective of the no of years you are intending to keep the car. Please note you can use the 45% NCB accumulated only on the comprehensive insurance only. May be this is the reason Tata AIG backed out.

Quote:
2. What will happen to the NCB? can I ask for NCB certificate if I am switching to basic 3rd party Insurance?
NCB certificate will be provided only if you sell the car. If you opt for the TPL insurance only, then you will lose NCB accumulated.

Quote:
3. Anything that I am missing here?
Time to pre-pone that car buying.
Old 25th May 2018, 16:38   #4269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Yes, you should contact other insurers too irrespective of the no of years you are intending to keep the car. Please note you can use the 45% NCB accumulated only on the comprehensive insurance only. May be this is the reason Tata AIG backed out.

NCB certificate will be provided only if you sell the car. If you opt for the TPL insurance only, then you will lose NCB accumulated.

Time to pre-pone that car buying.
But, If I am buying a new policy after the lapse of old policy, can't I get the NCB certificate on old policy. As I understand, NCB bonus is attached to the person, not the car. Hence, If I want, I can buy a new policy without claiming NCB benefits and get NCB certificate to buy a new insurance for new car (for example, if I want to retain my old car and buy a new one too).
Old 27th May 2018, 12:01   #4270
BHPian

Quote:
But, If I am buying a new policy after the lapse of old policy, can't I get the NCB certificate on old policy. As I understand, NCB bonus is attached to the person, not the car. Hence, If I want, I can buy a new policy without claiming NCB benefits and get NCB certificate to buy a new insurance for new car (for example, if I want to retain my old car and buy a new one too).
Yes, you can very well do that, but you should get hold of your NCB certificate within 90 days from the expiry of your policy. After 90 days from policy expiry, the accumulated NCB will be lost. Also, you are free to use this NCB certificate any time within three years from the date of its issue. Thanks.

Last edited by shijanto4 : 27th May 2018 at 12:02.
Old 28th May 2018, 20:46   #4271
BHPian

Hi guys,

We "sold off" our 15 year old santro to my sister in law a few months back. We had signed off on all transfer docs but they were never submitted to the RTO by them and the car is still on my wife's name. Now the insurance has lapsed and my SIL wants my wife's docs to renew. We're insisting on getting the transfer done first and then they go for a new TPL.

The questions are:

1. Can a transfer of ownership be done for a 16 year old car w/o an insurance?
2. Does my SIL need my wifes PAN and aadhar details to renew TPL as the car is more than 15 years old?
3. What other options do we have, if any.

We're really not comfortable with my SIL renewing the insurance on my wife's name for multiple reasons. I do realize there were multiple lapses on our side as well, we should have followed up and also sent a letter to the RTO about the transfer of ownership, but whats the way forward now?
Old 29th May 2018, 08:37   #4272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are getting confused between NCB certificate and NCB endorsement/eligibility. NCB certificate can be obtained only when the car is sold & ownership is transferred. NCB endorsement is to be used when you change Insurance cos. You need to get the NCB endorsed (on a simple application) and buy a new insurance policy from different insurer and continue to the use the NCB on a comprehensive policy. No Insurance co will provide you with NCB certificate on the existing car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijanto4 View Post
Yes, you can very well do that, but you should get hold of your NCB certificate within 90 days from the expiry of your policy. After 90 days from policy expiry, the accumulated NCB will be lost. Also, you are free to use this NCB certificate any time within three years from the date of its issue. Thanks.
Can't do that Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
1. Can a transfer of ownership be done for a 16 year old car w/o an insurance? - NO.
2. Does my SIL need my wifes PAN and aadhar details to renew TPL as the car is more than 15 years old? - NO. Your SIL's PAN & Aadhar is sufficient to buy a new policy.
3. What other options do we have, if any. Get the car ownership transferred ASAP. Then apply for change of ownership on Insurance policy. Till then the car should stay off roads if your SIL is a true follower of rules and regulations. You too could initiate the ownership transfer if your SIL in unwilling or doesn't have time to do so. Once you apply for ownership transfer, submit the copy of receipt to the Insurance co to change the ownership, they do it on case to case basis.
See response in bold.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 09:43   #4273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
1. Can a transfer of ownership be done for a 16 year old car w/o an insurance?
No, as 'ghodlur' has already clarified. Valid insurance is must for vehicle ownership transfer.
Hope that Santro's registration has been renewed post 15 years. Don't want to add to your woes, just that it shouldn't have been overlooked.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 10:31   #4274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Hope that Santro's registration has been renewed post 15 years. Don't want to add to your woes, just that it shouldn't have been overlooked.
Thanks for the response. Yes, registration was renewed. Everything was in order and the car was in pretty good shape till we sold it off. I'm appalled by the change of its condition in the past 6 months. It's heart breaking
Shome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 10:33   #4275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
You are getting confused between NCB certificate and NCB endorsement/eligibility. NCB certificate can be obtained only when the car is sold & ownership is transferred. NCB endorsement is to be used when you change Insurance cos. You need to get the NCB endorsed (on a simple application) and buy a new insurance policy from different insurer and continue to the use the NCB on a comprehensive policy. No Insurance co will provide you with NCB certificate on the existing car.

Can't do that Sir.

Hi ghodlur,

What I meant is if a policy of a car is already expired before renewal, one can choose to renew that expired policy with or without NCB. If the same owner is buying a new car, he can very much request transfer of NCB from that expired car policy to the new car policy, provided both the policies are in same owner's name. However, as I have detailed below, insurance company would either ask proof of an active policy on the old car or its sale proof while issuing the NCB retention letter, so the owner should be renewing the expired policy, at least as a TP insurance, until the car is actually sold.

My BIL handled a similar situation in July 2017. Now, before writing this, I again called him to confirm the process. The scenario was - he had a Zen for 8 years with 50% NCB accumulated. Insurance on this Zen was due for renewal in July 2017, and the delivery of his new car (Jazz) was also in July 2017. When he contacted the insurance company saying he wanted his NCB transferred to his new car and that Zen would be sold once the new car arrives, they suggested him to either renew the Zen policy by paying full premium (without NCB) before policy expiry or let the comprehensive policy expire and just buy a TP insurance if the car was to be sold soon. Also, they made it clear that they would need proof of an active insurance policy on Zen while NCB retention letter is issued. When specifically asked what if he doesn't renew the policy until the car is sold and then the buyer would buy a new insurance in his/her name, they mentioned within 90 days of policy expiry he can request for NCB retention letter by submitting a copy of new Zen policy in the buyer's name along with its sale proof. Sensing that would be a tedious process, he just bought a TP policy on Zen (as premium for a comprehensive policy without NCB was quite high) and got his NCB retention letter in hand in about five working days, which he used it for the Jazz policy. So, in all probability, an owner can own two cars simultaneously and choose on which he wants his NCB included, and I assume all insurance companies adopt the same rule. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2018 at 10:53. Reason: fixed quote tag
shijanto4 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks