Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2020, 22:47   #4696
BHPian

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi Folks,

I have a question about my Scorpio's upcoming insurance renewal. Although the vehicle is in my wife's name, I am the one who always drives the car. So, when I asked for and received a quote from Digit Insurance, the sales advisor suggested skipping the PA cover for the owner driver, as my wife can't drive. I can understand skipping the paid driver cover, but is skipping PA cover for owner driver advisable? Or am I better off opting for it?

Cheers,
Vikram
You are not going to get any clear answer. Even if everyone here says 'no need', insurance authorities or your insurance company may/can create unnecessary loops during a claim.
Do you want these trouble just to save 600-700 rupees?
JohnyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 09:25   #4697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagann13 View Post
1. Is this wise considering the NCB loss?
What is the current NCB?
What kind of policy do you have? I'm guessing it's a bumper-to-bumper as you mentioned 1500. If that's true, your repair cost would be 1500 + cost of consumables =~ 2000. Without insurance, you'd be paying 6500 + cost of consumables + labour cost. I guess that should be somewhere around 8000. Compare this with the NCB you would get for next year if you do not make the claim and pick the one that's more cost effective. Also remember that NCB has a cascading effect every year. So, it's not just next years' NCB that matters.

Quote:
2. My insurance reads 1 year own damage + 3 years liability.
1st Party (comprehensive or B2B) is covered for 1 year and 3rd party for 3 years.
Vysakh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 09:48   #4698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Or am I better off opting for it?
If your wife doesn't drive, you can skip the PA cover but I'd say make sure that the person who drives has a PA cover from any other source to be on the safer side. For this, you may have to purchase a separate PA cover as the one that comes bundled along with the insurance policy will be in your wife's name.

I have also skipped it in my current policy as the (on paper) car owner doesn't have a driving licence and the person who drives has a PA cover from insurance policy of the second car in the house.

PA cover is not mandatory in these cases:

Quote:
1. If the owner of the vehicle doesn't hold an effective / valid driving license.

2. If the vehicle is owned by a company , partnership firm , corporate body and / or any organization - in short where the vehicle is not owned by a person holding valid driving license.

3. Where a person owns more than one vehicle , compulsory PA cover can be granted for only one vehicle as opted by him / her. So for the second vehicle's insurance PA cover premium will not be applicable.
In my case, both points 1 and 3 were applicable.

Last edited by self_driven : 22nd February 2020 at 09:49.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 12:36   #4699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
You are not going to get any clear answer. Even if everyone here says 'no need', insurance authorities or your insurance company may/can create unnecessary loops during a claim.
Do you want these trouble just to save 600-700 rupees?
Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
If your wife doesn't drive, you can skip the PA cover but I'd say make sure that the person who drives has a PA cover from any other source to be on the safer side. For this, you may have to purchase a separate PA cover as the one that comes bundled along with the insurance policy will be in your wife's name..
Thank you both for your replies. Eventually I skipped the paid driver cover, but opted for the PA owner driver cover, as you never know when she might take it into her head to start driving. Total premium was Rs.11,243 for an IDV of Rs.2.60 lakhs.
Old 22nd February 2020, 13:39   #4700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
What is the current NCB?
What kind of policy do you have?
Thanks for helping me out with this. This is the first year. So my NCB will be close to Rs.2300 which is 20%.

Another doubt following what you said, will the NCB be taken into account if I'm upgrading the remaining 2 years to B2B from third party?

Mine is 1 year B2B and 3 years third party as you said!

I really appreciate it!
Old 22nd February 2020, 14:13   #4701
BHPian

Quote:
will the NCB be taken into account if I'm upgrading the remaining 2 years to B2B from third party?
NCB is not applicable on the third party liability. You'll get NCB on the first party component though, when you upgrade, if you haven't made any claims.
Old 26th February 2020, 11:44   #4702
BHPian

My wife owns a 2003 Maruti 800 and the RC and insurance policy are in her maiden name. We intend to sell this vehicle and transfer the 50% NCB to a new vehicle that we plan to buy.

Accordingly, we approached Tata AIG,the insurer, with a request to change the name in the insurance policy to her name after marriage. We received a email informing us that the change can be done only after the name in the RC has been updated.

We visited the local RTA earlier this week and met with the RTO. Whilst he was agreeable, in principle to do the needful, the junior officials explained that there is no provision for altering the name.

According the the provisions regarding NCB, the benefit accrues to the insured, per se, and not the vehicle. To illustrate, if we sell the car the new owner will not receive the NCB and will have to pay additional premium if he wants OD cover.

Under the circumstances, can Tata AIG refuse to transfer the accrued NCB to a new vehicle that will necessarily have to be purchased in my wife's name after marriage, since all her records including D/L, PAN and Aadhaar are in this name?
Old 26th February 2020, 11:48   #4703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
Accordingly, we approached Tata AIG,the insurer, with a request to change the name in the insurance policy to her name after marriage. We received a email informing us that the change can be done only after the name in the RC has been updated.
If you have any document eg a passport in her maiden name that has her married name endorsed on it, you can take that to Tata and show them.

Or take it to a new insurer along with an ncb letter from Tata and they'll mostly be more cooperative.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 12:00   #4704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If you have any document eg a passport in her maiden name that has her married name endorsed on it, you can take that to Tata and show them.

Or take it to a new insurer along with an ncb letter from Tata and they'll mostly be more cooperative.
Only document available is the marriage certificate. I guess along with other documents that should suffice, since it was used to change the name in the D/L and PAN. Will visit the Tata AIG local office.
Old 27th February 2020, 20:44   #4705
BHPian

Team,

I need help to on the renewal of my pre owned Tata Hexa XTA 2017 model. The Insurance is still on previous owner name as the vehicle ownership got transferred in Dec 2019. The insurance is due in March 2020.

1. I am told that NCB from existing Insurance can't be transferred. Is is correct?
2. Secondly, I am being quoted more than 35 K for the IDV of 11.5 lacs, which I feel is very high. Please advise.

Should I get the name change done of existing Insurance from Tata AIG ( don't know why it is from Royal Sundaram) to my name and then ask for a quote ?
Or Shall I look for a fresh insurance ? To add here, there is no claim on the existing insurance by previous owner.

Further what could be best quote for a zero dep insurance for an IDV of 11/12 lakhs?

Any other advice is also welcomed.

Thanks

Manish

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th February 2020 at 11:49. Reason: typo
Old 27th February 2020, 22:45   #4706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNishi View Post

1. I am told that NCB from existing Insurance can't be transferred. Is is correct?
2. Secondly, I am being quoted more than 35 K for the IDV of 11.5 lacs, which I feel is very high.
#1 is correct.
#2. Note 3rd party (mandatory) insurance premium has increased quite a lot. Since you won't get any any NCB discount on IDV and add to that 18% GST. Amount looks about right to me. However no harm calling up and negotiating down for own damage part.

-BJ
Old 28th February 2020, 08:31   #4707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNishi View Post
2. Secondly, I am being quoted more than 35 K for the IDV of 11.5 lacs, which I feel is very high. Please advise.
Yesterday, I got my Fortuner (2013) Insurance renewed at 11.2 Lakhs IDV for comprehensive policy + few additional covers like Additional Towing and no named passengers cover of 1 Lakh. I got the policy at 22,213 INR at Royal Sundaram. (Current Policy is expiring in March)

However, during my search for best quote provider, Tata AIG and Reliance, I got a quote of around 34 K, which I felt was too high. Suggest you try in Royal Sundaram once before closing on Tata AIG. From the reviews in this thread, I heard, even Royal Sundaram is a good company while processing the claims.

PS: I directly purchased the policy at http://royalsundaram.in. Did not go through Coverfox or policybazaar

Last edited by gkveda : 28th February 2020 at 08:35.
Old 28th February 2020, 11:20   #4708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Yesterday, I got my Fortuner (2013) Insurance renewed at 11.2 Lakhs IDV for comprehensive policy + few additional covers like Additional Towing and no named passengers cover of 1 Lakh. I got the policy at 22,213 INR at Royal Sundaram. (Current Policy is expiring in March)
I suppose your insurance quote is for comprehensive policy and the OP is looking for Zero Dep policy. Please correct me, if I am wrong. Zero Dep for 11 lakhs is normally above 30k, as per my experience.
Old 28th February 2020, 18:48   #4709
BHPian

Hello
My car is 8 years old Swift VDi 2012 Model and planning to sell next year. Currently I have Acko insurance, purchased last year with IDV 287500. This year Acko is only offering 205000 as maximum available IDV. Obviously that is much lower than IDV I was planning to take this year. So now evaluating the below offers:

1. Godigit: IDV 2.46L Premium 6.2K (Max IDV offered)
2. HDFC Ergo/Royal Sundaram/Iffco Tokio: IDV 2.72L Premium 7K (Option to further increase IDV)

I have read here that IDV should be reasonably reduced 10% every year. But I am inclined to keep the IDV near last year IDV, even same at 2.87L, as I am planning to sell car next year, so substantially lower IDV has some psychological impact on the buyer, or he may use it to negotiate hard.

Kindly give suggestions, as to what should be the ideal IDV and then which insurer to go with?

TIA

Last edited by ontheway : 28th February 2020 at 19:01. Reason: More information and clarification
Old 28th February 2020, 19:00   #4710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
I have read here that IDV should be reasonably reduced 10% every year....
Kindly give suggestions, as to what should be the ideal IDV and then which insurer to go with?
When it's time for a Claims inspector to step in and assess one's insured car in the event of an accident, or maybe if it's stolen, he will straightaway seek the last policy term papers and set the current price at 90% of the IDV that was declared in the previous policy term. With the thus calculated current IDV (and not the IDV that you've set), he will settle the claim. Let's say that the car was stolen; it will be settled after investigation as a total loss. The IDV is everything here; it is the very basis for the claim settlement that you'll receive.

Anyway, coming back to the issue at hand -what this means is that even if you set the current term's IDV at anything greater than 90% of the prior term's IDV, you'll pay extra premiums for that IDV, but when it's time to settle a claim, that extra premium that you paid will amount to nothing!

I find it frustrating that the IRDA doesn't regulate this unfair bit of the business so that the IDV cannot be overstated by the customer unknowingly...
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks