Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2022, 13:45   #5296

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

It is always better to give separate invoices of accessories at the time of policy issuance and get them added in the policy schedule. An inspection also triggers by insurer on adding such accessories However in normal practice it does not happen, however be aware to produce inspection and accessories invoice details during claims process.
Old 25th September 2022, 13:50   #5297

RTI cover gets triggered at the time of theft or total loss cases (CTL) wherein normally the invoice price or the current ex-showroom price whichever is lower is taken apart from other additions under RTI - depends on insurer to insurer.
IDV is majorly considerable on partial loss cases and without RTI cover add ons where claim settlement happens basis IDV value.
Old 26th September 2022, 15:34   #5298

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a used Jeep Compass(2018 model) and it's policy is about to expire on 11th October. Need your advice in renewing the policy. Below are the details of the current policy.

Provider: The New India Assurance
IDV - 14,62,459.
Nil Dep Cover - Yes; Loss of contents cover - yes; engine protection - yes etc.

Need your advice in which company to choose now, what should be the idv and add on covers and I want cashless facility in PPS jeep or Bangalore jeep service centres and peace of mind.

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th September 2022, 09:41   #5299
BHPian

Hi
I have a strange situation. My comprehensive insurance is valid till Oct 19, 2022, but my Third party ends on September 30. My office had given my insurance for renewal. However, HDFC has given an insurance period starting from October 19. As a result there would be a lapse of about 20 days where my car would not be having a third party but a valid B2B comprehensive policy. Normally I would manage this by limiting usage of the car but here I am due for a long trip. I did check out with HDFC but they say I will have to purchase a new insurance and then cancel this one. The refund would take about 15 days. Is there anything I can do such as taking a short term third party insurance for a month or something like that? Would appreciate quick responses.... Thank you
Old 7th October 2022, 18:55   #5300

Insurance company is irrespective. May be you can chose basis the claim settlement ratio of different insurance companies as published by regulator.
As your vehicle is in 5th Year renewal so you may get add on coverages from all insurers that you mentioned.
Cashless facility is dealer prerogative and depends on dealer relations with respective insurance companies. So check with Jeep pps or your other preferred dealer before chosing insurer.
Old 7th October 2022, 19:00   #5301

You could have chosen the period of comprehensive insurance from Oct 1st only.
This is a common problem coming after 1+3 insurance at the time of vehicle where a break in happens on own damage insurance coverages. One has to be observant and vigilant while choosing the period of own damage/comprehensive cover.
Old 8th October 2022, 16:03   #5302

Had a general query on renewing the car insurance. The dealer has sent a quote for the renewal which is the same as what I am getting online from the insurance provider. Is there a benefit to renewing the insurance from the dealer vs renewing it online?
Old 8th October 2022, 16:44   #5303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikva View Post
Had a general query on renewing the car insurance. The dealer has sent a quote for the renewal which is the same as what I am getting online from the insurance provider. Is there a benefit to renewing the insurance from the dealer vs renewing it online?
The only advantage here would be improving the relationship with the dealer/workshop which could come of help during any claim processing. Otherwise nothing stops you from buying online from the Insurance provider, the policy would be delivered instantly.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 18:14   #5304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikva View Post
During a claim, the dealer tie up insurance might help in faster paperwork and priority work at the workshop.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 8th October 2022 at 18:16.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 22:37   #5305
Distinguished - BHPian

I renew my HDFC policy on line every year. The guy who sold it to me still get his cut. Maybe dealers do too?
Old 9th October 2022, 13:29   #5306

I went with the dealer for renewing the insurance based on the suggestions given above. In addition, the agent from the dealer side was following up very patiently with clarifications from my side. So it made sense to go with the dealer. In addition, the dealers do have room for a discount (not much) over what the online portal had quoted for the exact same coverage.
raikva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 15:17   #5307

Hello,
If you buy online directly from insurance company website, then there is no intermediary in between so no cut goes to any one as it is directly done by insurer.
If you do it through aggregators (policy bazaar, etc) or through dealers then there are commercials involved. Thanks
khanwasif1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 18:26   #5308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanwasif1 View Post
If you buy online directly from insurance company website, then there is no intermediary in between so no cut goes to any one as it is directly done by insurer. ...
If you buy the original policy from an insurance agent, then he gets a cut on online renewals. My agent told me this. He calls me every year to remind me to renew, online.
Old 9th October 2022, 18:42   #5309
BHPian

Hi everyone, I have some questions regarding insurance renewal. I bought honda city from Whitefield honda bengaluru last year and after negotiation showroom people matched my insurance quote. I wanted to go with Honda assure as it will be easier with claim process, so they provided me with Universal sompo insurance.

Now problem is I moved to warangal and here Honda people doesn’t have tie up with universal sompo in honda assure. Last time I had a small accident with car and wanted to claim insurance and ASC was like it wont be done quickly as we don’t have tie up with above insurance here and it may take week or 10 days to get approval, as it was small incident I didn’t claim it in insurance but now as i have to renew my insurance i am confused. I have to stay here another year or two so should i go for universal sompo only or should get same insurance what they have tie up with here. What about NCB and 3 year 3rd party cover if I change to other insurance provider. Please advise fellow BHPians.
Thank you
Old 9th October 2022, 22:08   #5310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurodoc View Post
Hi everyone, I have some questions regarding insurance renewal. I bought honda city from Whitefield honda bengaluru last year and after negotiation showroom people matched my insurance quote. I wanted to go with Honda assure as it will be easier with claim process, so they provided me with Universal sompo insurance.

Now problem is I moved to warangal and here Honda people doesn’t have tie up with universal sompo in honda assure. Last time I had a small accident with car and wanted to claim insurance and ASC was like it wont be done quickly as we don’t have tie up with above insurance here and it may take week or 10 days to get approval, as it was small incident I didn’t claim it in insurance but now as i have to renew my insurance i am confused. I have to stay here another year or two so should i go for universal sompo only or should get same insurance what they have tie up with here. What about NCB and 3 year 3rd party cover if I change to other insurance provider. Please advise fellow BHPians.
Thank you
It is not necessary to continue with the same insurance company if you are not comfortable or you find a better option. The three year insurance which you purchased at the time of buying new car is called third party insurance which will remain active for the duration of three years from purchase. The other portion of insurance valid only for one year is called own damage (OD) insurance which you need to renew every year. This is what you will be renewing now. You can go for any company of your choice for the OD insurance. Take the one which has tie up with the workshops in your area and it can be different than Universal Sompo. While renewing you can mention the NCB you are eligible for and the new company would provide the same NCB so you will not lose any NCB even if you change the insurance company.

Just remember to carry both third party and OD insurance papers in the car with you all the time.

Please remember that third party insurance will need to be renewed once your car turns 3 years old and again you'll have a choice to opt for the insurance company you like.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 9th October 2022 at 22:16.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed