Team-BHP - RC card lost!! what to do? HELP!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Indian Car Loans & Insurance (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/)
-   -   RC card lost!! what to do? HELP! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/51484-rc-card-lost-what-do-help.html)

few months ago i was keeping my car's papers neatly and found that there was no RC card.after a lot of searching and calling here and there the result was RC lost!

i've got my RC done from PCMC RTO when the car was registered in my name.

my queries are:
1.whats the procedure or procuring a duplicate one?
2.in how many days will i get another one?
3.is it OK if i go to the PMC RTO for procuring a duplicate or i have to stick to PCMC RTO compulsarily?

paddy you will have to go to PCMC RTO only. you will need a FIR from your local Police Station, ID proof, insurance and some form (i dont remember the form number) that you get from the RTO for issuing a duplicate RC. thats what i can recall from when i got mine around 6 years back.
also there will some fees for the same and will take around 3 weeks.

Get it touch with Motor training guy's they will help you. I had lost it for my bike and had took 1 and a half month for a copy.

I can't find my RC book too! Searched everywhere... I guess its lost. Now do I file an FIR first or go to the RTO and get a form?

Be extra careful if you lose the RC. Do the FIR at once. May be you have to inform the insurance as well. In case it is not an accidental loss then the risk of theft is very high. However, if you think it was lost some time back and nothing has happened then you may breathe easy.

Lodge a police complaint & get a FIR.

Ok... so today I went to the R.T.Nagar Police station to file the FIR. The inside of this place is so dirty, it will make you sick! I ask around to find out what needs to be done so that the FIR can be filed. The first question was "Sir, where do you work?" (what the hell for?) - I guess this was to evaluate the depth of my pocket. So he starts of by telling me that I will need to go to the court and file an affidavit saying I have lost the RC book and then bring it to the station. As I was standing there scratching my head, (this was not what I heard - I thought it would be simpler) he even showed me a sample. Before I could read it completely, he put it back in the drawer. I had taken a copy of the RC book and insurance with me.

THEN he gives me the OR you could do this solution.... :)

He said he would type out a letter and I could sign it and then he would go and get the inspector's signature. I would of course have to give them their 'something' for their 'effort'. Please note that at no point of time do they actually tell you how much!

So on my nod, he goes ahead, pulls up a 'template' (in Kannada) makes the changes and takes a couple of print outs. I then put my signature and he seals the doc and the 'chalan' and then gets his 'superiors' signature on it. When done, I tried pushing a 50 buck note into his hands - his reaction was worth the money! I had to fork out another 50 bucks and show him my purse in the process before he would allow me to scoot with the FIR. 100 bucks for less than 10 minutes of work! That too tax free :) Shame on these people! Funniest part is at no point of time did he check the copy of the RC book! Frightening isn't it? So at the end of the day without any affidavit, no xerox copies, or anything else, just 100 bucks got me an FIR for my vehicle. I could have given him any registration number and he would have done the same!

OT - (What is more shameless is when I see Hoysala police stop can collect pocket money - sometimes even 10 bucks - from hotels and street vendors!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by triedeverything (Post 1381970)
Ok... so today I went to the R.T.Nagar Police station to file the FIR. The inside of this place is so dirty, it will make you sick! I ask around to find out what needs to be done so that the FIR can be filed. The first question was "Sir, where do you work?" (what the hell for?) - I guess this was to evaluate the depth of my pocket. So he starts of by telling me that I will need to go to the court and file an affidavit saying I have lost the RC book and then bring it to the station. As I was standing there scratching my head, (this was not what I heard - I thought it would be simpler) he even showed me a sample. Before I could read it completely, he put it back in the drawer. I had taken a copy of the RC book and insurance with me.

THEN he gives me the OR you could do this solution.... :)

He said he would type out a letter and I could sign it and then he would go and get the inspector's signature. I would of course have to give them their 'something' for their 'effort'. Please note that at no point of time do they actually tell you how much!

So on my nod, he goes ahead, pulls up a 'template' (in Kannada) makes the changes and takes a couple of print outs. I then put my signature and he seals the doc and the 'chalan' and then gets his 'superiors' signature on it. When done, I tried pushing a 50 buck note into his hands - his reaction was worth the money! I had to fork out another 50 bucks and show him my purse in the process before he would allow me to scoot with the FIR. 100 bucks for less than 10 minutes of work! That too tax free :) Shame on these people! Funniest part is at no point of time did he check the copy of the RC book! Frightening isn't it? So at the end of the day without any affidavit, no xerox copies, or anything else, just 100 bucks got me an FIR for my vehicle. I could have given him any registration number and he would have done the same!

OT - (What is more shameless is when I see Hoysala police stop can collect pocket money - sometimes even 10 bucks - from hotels and street vendors!)

You must have seen beggers in the signal but these are the powerfull beggers in our country.

The story doesn't end here. I went to the RTO along with the FIR, emission certificate copy and insurance copy. I ask 'inquiry' on what the procedure is and he tells me to collect the form to be filled from the 2nd floor. So I huff and puff my way upstairs and get the form, pay the fees and THEN he tells me to get a file from downstairs for the whole mess! Back I go, get the file and try to submit it again. This time, he chucks it aside saying he wants it in order! In addition to the duplicate RC book, I also wanted the hypothecation removed. So I have paid the fees for this too. So the order is like this, the DRC form, the receipt for the fees, the FIR, the emission certificate copy, the Hypothecation removal application, the fees and the copy of the letter from the bank. So he finally accepts this and I wait some more time as the ARTO (Saaab) is busy chit chatting with someone. Once the file reaches him, he looks through and throws it back saying I need the affidavit! I'm a little disgusted by this point and take the file and walk away. I get in touch with a notary and he charges me 130 rupees for the document (from scratch). I go back to the RTO the next day and to my bad luck - I'm early! I'm waiting from 10 am while they 'officially' open only at 10.30 a.m. The guy who looks at this stuff comes strolling in after 10.45. Long story short, I get to see the Saab at 11.45. The Saab looks through the file, looks at the affidavit and asks me where is your photo?? Why didn't some one tell me the affidavit needs to have my photo?? There are no rules in place! By this time I looked so depressed that he asked me for an ID. I showed him my driving licence. I was asked to sign the application in front of him, he counter signed it and I was told to return in 3 days time.

Moral of the story - Never EVER lose your RC book. If you do lose it, then read this post again and make sure you have done all this exactly as described for a 'first time fix'.
OR
If you wanted an easier life, you could look for a job in the RTO :)

Sad to read this, and all that you had to go through for a duplicate RC book (the best part during such hazzles is that one fine day the thing you thought you lost will pop up as if innocently, and make you feel like splitting your hair apart. Happened with me twice, but thankfully not an RC, haha).

Anyways, true to your screen name you seem to have tried everything by now, hehe.

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by triedeverything (Post 1397272)
Moral of the story - Never EVER lose your RC book. If you do lose it, then read this post again and make sure you have done all this exactly as described for a 'first time fix'.
OR
If you wanted an easier life, you could look for a job in the RTO :)

One solution which I noticed is that the persons who raise pretty issues like file in order or not may be requiring mamool [ aorry about the term , but couldnt help it ]. I noticed it when I went once to RTO office wherein to get a DL on the spot, a person slipped a INR 50 note with the receipt and hey presto, got the DL before my eyes. No one could have noticed it though.

PS; I am not encouraging corruption in here, Just stating my experience. Use your own judgement before making any decisions.

A bit unrelated, though related: I had moved to Pune from Chennai a few years back and got my bike along without any NOC. Now I have lost the RC book. I want to sell off the bike either in Pune or Chennai. What would be the best way to do it -
1. Get RC duplicate and NOC and sell in Pune or
2. Get RC duplicate and sell the bike back in Chennai?

Pros and Cons anybody? Cost, procedures, details appreciated

What happens when you car is met with a accident and you can't find the RC? Is a FIR for the lost RC sufficient for a insurance claim?

Well, here is story from Noida. So I lost my RC (btw is it necessary to carry original RC everywhere?) and now I am in the process of getting Duplicate. Story goes like this:

My car is registered to Delhi and now I am living in Noida. Lost my RC yesterday and after lot of searching, decided to go with duplicate RC. Thanks to the earlier posts which made me very very strong in terms of what to expect. First step was to get FIR, which I filed in Noida. As you might expect, it was still a easier job (than whats going to be ahead). I have written FIR application (they accepted in English) and attached copy of RC. First I met sardar ji, who asked me to get it xrox. By the time I was back, he was gone and new man was there. He looked at the application and RC copy and then asked Shapathpatra kaha hai (where is affidavit)? I was not sure what is going to be in that, so I asked him instead What for I have to get that and where would I find a person to do it. He smiled and replied, how do we know that you have not submitted RC for something (like chalan).

He had a valid point, but I was not in mood for going anywhere for that affidavit. I gave him that curious glance (how much do you want?) and then he shake his head and told me Or you can pay for that affidavit here.. I asked how much and he replied "110". I immediately paid him, did not ask for any receipt and got the FIR. I was infact amazed with the thought that at that time, I actually considered that as a favor while he pocketed the bribe (note the specific 110 demand, not 100).

Anyway, I have got the FIR and ready to go to RTO. I have few questions though:
a) Is it necessary to take my car at RTO office, I am planning to go via bike since it would be easier to navigate through traffic and park in Delhi.
b) I can dedicate a day for RTO work (but no more), would that be sufficient or should I consider hiring an Agent?

Thanks and I will put next part of story when job is done :Frustrati

Hi All,
Here is next part of story. After I got FIR from Noida police, I went to Vasant Vihar RTO to apply for duplicate RC and here are my observations:

1) No Agents there. No one approaches you for anything and you can basically check what to get where. No problems here.
2) Documents which they need:
a) Two forms 26 (even if there's no loan etc)
b) RC copy
c) Address proof from Delhi (this is mandatory). If you dont have address proof from Delhi then you have to either get a NOC and get your car register in other state. Also bank account passbook or statement does not count as address proof.
d) PUC and Insurance copy
e) FIR copy (Please note that they need Diary number as well in the FIR, not just the acknowledgment), they also accept FIR which are registered online at Delhi Police (http://www.delhipolice.nic.in/register.html)
3) All documents (except one Form 26, RC copy and FIR) has to be attested at Notary. They charge around INR 100 and are available just opposite to RTO office.
4) You have to first get to counter where they make entries in the computer and then to the payment part. Both counters are next to each other but have different lines. Fee is INR 300.
5) No need for the registered owner to be present there for submission of application, also car is not required there physically.
6) RTO closes all customer interaction by 1 PM, so be there well before time so that you are not 'that last person' in the queue.

They take around 25 days to process and RC has to be collected physically from RTO office. My case is little dicey since my FIR does not have diary no (but I have made the request and lets hope it goes well without any issues).

Hope these inputs will be helpful to all, and one last suggestion (which I am also doing now): Put a medical tape at the back of each of your important document with your mobile no written on it. You never know when you will find a good samaritan who can send that missing doc back.