Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2009, 17:30   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_DoN View Post
Thanks Rjvora.. I'd be calling you for another favor soon !!
Yes DoN bhai how can I help you now?
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:08   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
You must DON. On same lines I was also thinking. Do that.
Going the insurance ombudsman is surely a good idea. Moreover you should also take up this issue with with the higher ups in maruti udyog you will surely get a resolution . It shall not out of place to mention here that my friends swift dezire was facing engine and steering trouble.The local MASS guys were not giving him a satisfactory reply or doing much to resolve the issue. Only when the higher ups were sounded, did the issue resolve, with the Mass guys changing his steering stablizers as well as all four injectors , the two things together costing a whooping 1.15Khad it not been for his constant hounding of the maruti guys this would surely have burnt a huge hole in his pocket

Last edited by sanjz : 22nd December 2009 at 11:14.
Old 22nd December 2009, 21:26   #138
BHPian

I just happened to read this thread by pure chance.

RJ Vora/..
We are really proud and honored to have a selfless BHPian like you amongst us.
Wishing you all the very best in everything you do.

Don.,,
I for sure would never go with RSundaram ever again..
And i will try to persuade my friends too..
Old 23rd December 2009, 08:54   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIAN_VAGABOND View Post
RJ Vora/..
We are really proud and honored to have a selfless BHPian like you amongst us.
Wishing you all the very best in everything you do.
Thank you sirji for the compliments and the good wishes.
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:42   #140
Senior - BHPian

Hi friends,

It is the condition of my car after a bang by a truck/lorry last night. Now I have to take it to MSM.Mine is maruti insurance with New India. I heard that they don't have the tie up with New India for cashless claim. It is heard only, but not confirmed. So if that is the case what should I do. The damage is not for plastic, rubber or glass parts but for the body only.Experts please give your opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift Dzrie Vdi Rightful Insurance claim denied - Beware of Royal Sundaram CHEATERS !-23122009061.jpg  

Last edited by navan49 : 23rd December 2009 at 10:43.
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:49   #141
BHPian

^^
Right Rear Door would need denting / painting work.
The panel between the bumper and the door has actually been torn / broken. This will need replacement.
+ Misc Stuff

Insurance should be pretty straightforward here I guess.
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:00   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
The panel between the bumper and the door has actually been torn / broken. This will need replacement.
Isn't this an integral part of the one-piece body shell? Renewing this would mean welding on a new piece. Is that advisable?
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:52   #143
Team-BHP Support

Yes it can be repaired, different section of the the body outer shells are available for all vehicles which can be replaced without any issue. The structural integrity will not change since its the inner sections that matter in a chassis design. Only thing to take care is to do a proper job with welding and a good antirust treatment to avoid any issue's in future, especially in coastal chennai climate.

Maruti Insurance at a dealership should have cashless facility, only if its private company like Tata AIG you will have an issue if its a small dealer.

If its not covered under cashless, you will have to pay cash and then collect the cheque from insurance company. Rest of the process is all same.
Old 23rd December 2009, 15:27   #144
BHPian

Damn too sad don. I promise will never get any insurance done from Royal sundaram ever in my life though i havent heard of them in my part of the country. I request all who have sympathy with this matter to give their promise here in form of a post never to deal with them. You can send this thread to their Customer care.
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:01   #145
Senior - BHPian

Be careful,

If there is no cashless then you need to be careful for the expenses which is approved by the surveyor. Make sure that whatever he is approving, you are making payment for those items only and not anything extra. Labor charges will also have the difference please make payment according to that only. Surveyor report will be available to you if you ask them, make sure you check it properly and then give green signal to work to start.
Old 4th January 2010, 01:10   #146
Senior - BHPian

Ritz Is Back In Good New Shape

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your moral support. The Ritz has come back after a week's time in the good old new shape minus the rear graphics. Her is she in new avatar like me. Being it is cashless insurance I shelled out just 1000 Rs.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift Dzrie Vdi Rightful Insurance claim denied - Beware of Royal Sundaram CHEATERS !-ritz-midway.jpg  

Old 1st December 2010, 19:10   #147
BHPian

Got a mail from The don- asking for comments on the case of a broken camshaft in his DDIS.

Though he has closed the issue- well for what its worth (apologies for a lecture on basic schoolboy Physics):

The camshaft broke as a result of “THERMAL SHOCK”—it is not a very uncommon occurrence- and can happen to any part of an engine (Cast metal parts suffer easily), not necessarily the Camshafts. Late 90’s VW turbo diesels were, however, particularly susceptible to only camshafts cracking as a result of thermal shock. I have seen hundreds of cracked engine blocks, camshafts, crankshafts etc., in the course of my career: I have also subjected various engines and components to this in development and testing laboratories .

To understand this phenomenon: Take a piece of Glass- put it into a pan of water- boil it – when its very hot put the Glass into a bowl of room temperature water. You will see that the glass will CRACK (it may just crack from air). This is due to “Thermal Shock”.

In this case one could say that the crack has occurred not because of OVERHEATING of the glass but because of “OVERCOOLING” (though rapid cooling would be more technically correct.)

Some years ago, a colleague of mine cracked his own engine into two halves.
His radiator cap was defective. Whilst waiting for a new cap to arrive, he carried on driving to work and back, keeping an eye on the temp. gauge to make sure it wasn’t overheating. He was losing about 2 litres of coolent a day- and refilling every morning before starting off. The radiator cap arrived, he went to the shop, stopped his car- which was now at full operating temperature- outside, put two litres of coolent in fitted the cap, started the car- before he could even put it in gear—the engine seized.
His engine had not cooled down enough for the ambient temperature coolent not to cause a Thermal Shock!

In the DDIS’s case- the question might be asked: Then why only the Camshaft and not other parts of the engine?
It is because of the phenomenon of “HOT SPOTS”.—it would take too long to explain this here, but if anyone is interested, please Google It.
Basically, the architecture of the Internal Combustion Engine is such that try as hard as engine designers may- it is impossible to totally do away with hot spots developing. As the description implies- basically hot spots are parts of the engine which are hotter than others- this occurs for a variety of reasons, and over the period of an engines life can also change location, for example with the buildup of sludge in the oil circuit, where it might slow down the circulation of oil in a particular location or speed it up in another. The hot spot mostly is not more than a few degrees hotter than the rest----- but this is enough for it to be the first to suffer from Stress- Shock.

Generally, the first stress- shock event dissipates the Shock energy from everything else—so that the damage only occurs there.-------- however multiple fractures in different parts have been known to happen, and I have seen camshafts broken in two places (The VW TDi’s).

An engine has three cooling systems: no1. Oil- (Thickest), No2. Water/Coolent,- (Thinner) No3. Atmospheric Air.- (Thinnest)
Oil takes the heat from the engine and passes it to the Coolent Water which then passes it into the air(through the radiator).

It follows, therefore, :
that if there is a sudden loss of coolent ( and the engine is still running) there will be Overheating - because there is nothing for the Oil to pass the heat to.
If there is a sudden loss of Oil- and the engine immediately switched off i.e. the source of heat is stopped- there will be rapid cooling----- leading to a Thermal Shock Event.

When an engine overheats- Driven whils’t starved of oil- multiple damages will occur: Bearings, bores, Rings even Cracks etc..
When a Thermal Shock Event happens- it will mostly (depending on the specific engine architecture) happen in one place. This can be anywhere from engine block to camshafts, crankshaft etc…

Clearly in Mr. Don’s case:

1. the engine did not overheat.

2. The engine was not started until the SA had replaced the oil sump etc.. And the SA immediately shut down the engine upon detecting DETONATION (knocking)- For this, must actually pat the SA on the back. You obviously have a very competent SA.
These engines run extremely lean. The timing is not adjustable- and is effectively locked into place. So the minutest variation from the Inlet Camshaft will induce Detonation. (from the pictures I notice this is the inlet cam.)

3. The camshaft broke due to a Thermal Shock event- which occurred due to a rapid loss of Oil together with a switching off of the engine. Unfortunately a Double edged sword: Had Mr. Don not shut down the engine immediately- he would have had far greater damage due to overheating!!!

I suggest you approach a University/ reknown engineering college which has a metallurgy dept. Take the Broken camshaft and I’m sure they will be able to verify that the it is caused by a Thermal Shock event.
With this- approach the insurance company again, and if necessary take it further.
kulvinder singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2010, 19:25   #148
Senior - BHPian

^^
I wish my teachers in college were as good at explaining things as this!
Its rare to come across such informative posts.

Last edited by amitoj : 1st December 2010 at 19:27.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:35   #149
BHPian

Mr. Kulvinder Singh - Hats off to you Sir..

Your post was the best explanation I have received since the accident - More than 21 months have passed!

Although, high on theory it did make perfect sense to me. All this while i was looking for a reason why such a thing could happen wherein I did the best possible thing to shut off the engine asap to avoid damage.

Even Maruti engineers who had come twice to visit the car at the workshop concluded that the damage could only happen if the cam ran without oil - which i knew was false.

Maybe it could be the case that they or Royal Sundaram cheaters knew of this fact but obviously did not say since then they would be liable to compensate me for the damage.

Either ways I am content of knowing the reason now and I thank you whole-heartedly for you time and knowledge.

You are truly a gem for this forum !
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:09   #150
BHPian

One piece of advice from my part.Always go for government insurance.I had a bad experience with Bajaj insurance.But by saying this I am not meaning all private insurances are bad i am just expressing my point of view.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks