Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2009, 12:48   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Saar?? What Saar??

Well, what i meant was "since you've seen a open swift Ldi / Vdi engine, you could contribute better"

But guess you did not get it
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...s/Shockked.gif
Old 8th June 2009, 13:01   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Well, what i meant was "since you've seen a open swift Ldi / Vdi engine, you could contribute better"

But guess you did not get it
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...s/Shockked.gif
Oh ok. Sorry.

Right i didnt get it. Apologies.

Yeah, i did see an open engine being worked upon. It was in for another total loss of oil. But the camshafts did not have any visible damage and were reused in the rebuild engine. Not sure whether thats the right way to go about it. The engine had seized immediately and the owner did try cranking and push starting the car after the sieze.

Bills were in the region of 90k parts plus labour. Not sure whether insurance paid for the bills. The owner did not heed the warning light even after it stayed on for a couple of days.

This was at an authorised Maruti Garage in Bangalore. They do not sell cars only servicing and repair.

I have taken printouts of the pics above will show them to the mechanic who was working on the engine.
Old 8th June 2009, 13:23   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was in for another total loss of oil. But the camshafts did not have any visible damage and were reused in the rebuild engine. Not sure whether thats the right way to go about it. The engine had seized immediately and the owner did try cranking and push starting the car after the sieze.
........ owner did not heed the warning light even after it stayed on for a couple of days.
What this goes to show is that crankshaft bearings will seize MUCH before the camshaft bearings.
So how did the camshaft shear in this case? Simply not making sense!
Particularly if the engine can still be manually turned, suggesting it has not seized.
Old 8th June 2009, 13:53   #64
BHPian

Quote:

Yeah, i did see an open engine being worked upon. It was in for another total loss of oil. But the camshafts did not have any visible damage and were reused in the rebuild engine. Not sure whether thats the right way to go about it. The engine had seized immediately and the owner did try cranking and push starting the car after the sieze.

Bills were in the region of 90k parts plus labour. Not sure whether insurance paid for the bills. The owner did not heed the warning light even after it stayed on for a couple of days.

This was at an authorised Maruti Garage in Bangalore. They do not sell cars only servicing and repair.

I have taken printouts of the pics above will show them to the mechanic who was working on the engine.
Thanks for the same. Also, if you have a word with someone could you also their expectations regarding the damage done and the expected expenses for the same. Thanks a lot again.. By the way in the above mentioned case I am 100% sure the insurance must have rejected the claim. They have a right to reject even if you start the car so much as to move it to the side of the road. It has to be compulsorily hand pushed or towed from the SPOT of the accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
What this goes to show is that crankshaft bearings will seize MUCH before the camshaft bearings.
So how did the camshaft shear in this case? Simply not making sense!
Particularly if the engine can still be manually turned, suggesting it has not seized.
I sincerely believe that my engine has not seized (melted parts). The lack of oil has damaged the cam which inturn has lead to broken/bent/damaged valves and maybe pistons. Also, like someone mentioned earlier as to why the internals of the cam are damage free even after the cam rod breakage - This is because the car was shut off immediately. I still can't believe my luck for suck a thing to happen :(

Last edited by ThE_DoN : 8th June 2009 at 14:00.
Old 8th June 2009, 14:56   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_DoN View Post
The lack of oil has damaged the cam which inturn has lead to broken/bent/damaged valves and maybe pistons.
Sir, thats Impossible. Is your valve damaged or piston cracked / broken? Guess not, then its a case of malpractise at the service station. Camshaft stoppage will lead to a mechanical loud noise when the valve and piston collide physically.

You have not mentioned a loud noise while engine was switched off.

Quote:

Also, like someone mentioned earlier as to why the internals of the cam are damage free even after the cam rod breakage - This is because the car was shut off immediately. I still can't believe my luck for suck a thing to happen :(
Maybe you ought to step up the matter to a GM or higher level in that organisation. Sounds very fishy

Old 8th June 2009, 15:05   #66
Team-BHP Support

Damage should be limited to one set of valves, but if the cylinder is scared, you will have to replace the while cylinder block, but yes only the required valves needs to be replaced. Ensure valve seating is proper before the new build.
Old 8th June 2009, 15:06   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir, thats Impossible. Is your valve damaged or piston cracked / broken? Guess not, then its a case of malpractise at the service station. Camshaft stoppage will lead to a mechanical loud noise when the valve and piston collide physically.

You have not mentioned a loud noise while engine was switched off.

Maybe you ought to step up the matter to a GM or higher level in that organisation. Sounds very fishy

I yet don't have an update on the condition of the valves and the piston since the head has not been opened up as yet. We are awaiting foe Royal Sundaram's reply tomorrow on the case and will then take a call. I am going to be present at Spectra when they open the head for sure.
Old 8th June 2009, 15:10   #68
Senior - BHPian

Sir, please ask them to rotate the engine manually to ensure smooth movement of the valve as well as piston. This is a rudimentary inspection method.
Old 8th June 2009, 15:29   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I had a visit to Spectra today along with 'rjvora_2000' (Thw man has a gem of a heart - Sincere thanks for accompanying me today sir)

Awaiting Royal Sundarams official reply on Tuesday! A hearty thanks to rjvora once again !!

This is what our forum is all about! Kudos to you rjvora_2000!!
Old 10th June 2009, 09:28   #70
Senior - BHPian

ThE DoN: Any update from insurance company as they were to call you right?
Old 10th June 2009, 11:29   #71
BHPian

@All : There has been further delay from Royal Sundaram. Now they have asked to open the complete engine and see the overall damages before deciding on the claim. In addition, they have refused to give approval for opening the engine an have put the onus/liability on me. Their reasoning is they gave is since they need more information of the damages to take a call on the claim.

The engine is expected to be opened today or tomorrow and I will be present there during that time. Rjvora will be kind enough to accompany me as well.

Thanks
Old 10th June 2009, 11:42   #72
Senior - BHPian

Don, take as many pictures as you can. Of the valves, the head, the pistons, the bolts, the bore. Also check camshaft bearing clearances.

Looks like if the claim is high, they are trying to wiggle out of it. How can they decide validity of claim based on amount of claim?
Old 10th June 2009, 13:11   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
they have asked to open the complete engine and see the overall damages before deciding on the claim. In addition, they have refused to give approval for opening the engine an have put the onus/liability on me. Their reasoning is they gave is since they need more information of the damages to take a call on the claim.
Sir, if they need information, they need to pay for it. They are looking for more information and cannot expect you, who is already weakened in avatar now, to foot the bill for engine opening. You must push them to consumer court or the local ombudsman if they refuse to cooperate or want to charge all labour on to you.

All the best
Old 10th June 2009, 13:36   #74
BHPian

Delay Tactics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Don, take as many pictures as you can. Of the valves, the head, the pistons, the bolts, the bore. Also check camshaft bearing clearances.

Looks like if the claim is high, they are trying to wiggle out of it. How can they decide validity of claim based on amount of claim?
I had the same discussion with them yesterday. I told them that the validity of the claim will lie on the fact that how the accident happened. The damages are a result of it and even they will consider only the situation of accident to decide on the claim.

He said that only after seeing the damages can they decide whether the car was driven after the accident etc.. He is like if we accept the claim then we will pay for everything and if we dont then its anyways payable by you. He said this is just a procedural step.

This is the last thing I am doing from my end. I am goin today evening for the "engine opening ceremony" !!
Old 10th June 2009, 14:39   #75
BHPian

@the_DON,

Right step would be to issue a notice from the consumer court and they will automatically start responding to all your questions. They are just trying to frustrate you so that you give up at the end. Teach them a lesson and we are all with you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks