Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2009, 12:26   #121
BHPian

Just read this thread in full. My two cents worth

1. The cam shaft can't break like that. It requires an enormous torsional force to cause a damage like that. There will be damages to the bearing surfaces if such a thing has happened.

2. There could have been a prior crack or defect which would have caused the camshaft
to break. In such a case warranty should be available.

3. There is no point in blaming RS since the damage can't be directly linked to accident. A stone hitting the oil sump can't break the cam shaft.

4. Since RS has refused the claim ask Maruthi for warranty replacement. If they refuse , ask them give the reasons for refusal in writing. Ask Maruthi to prove that damage was due to the accident. With this you can sue RS for refusing the claim.

5. Either Maruthi should give warranty replacement or RS should pay the claim.

6. Its almost two months and I request the OP give an update on the issue.
Old 29th August 2009, 09:50   #122
Senior - BHPian

@The_DON any update how much you spent on your car and did you go to any court to fight the insurance claim.
Old 18th December 2009, 21:11   #123
BHPian

Closure... One more time - Beware of Royal Sundaram

Its been quite a while I posted an update here.. I just did not want to come back to this post since the entire episode has left a very bad taste for me regarding insurance companies in general and "Royal Sundaram' in particular. I was robbed of rightful claim together with huge delays in response and eventual denial.

These guys are the worst agents to reason with once you have a claim. They ultimately REJECTED my claim and I had to bear the entire cost of making up the engine back in shape.

Its been around 5000kms since the accident and I am glad about one thing - the car behaves like a new car should. Things like engine noise, turbo kick, clatter etc seem to be like before. I am getting a mileage of around 15kmpl with 90% AC usage which I think is on the lower side although reduced performance if any is not perceivable.

I posted here since I came across another thread on Swift Cam failure. Though both the cases seems to be different I though of giving my thread a closure it deserved. So after around 100 days of car lying at Spectra, 40000 rupees in damages, shattered experience of driving a new car, having a first hand experience of horrible behavior by Royal Sundaram I think I am finally over the ordeal (that's why i could come back to this thread)

FYI, the insurance claim was denied citing damages due to driving post the accident. The proof from their side was damage to the cam casing which they claimed is due to engine ridden without oil. I have no explanation for this except the fact that I did not keep the engine on for more than 3-5 seconds (time taken to stop the car post impact)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1343643

I know a lot of guys wanted me to pursue this case in the court of law but personally i did not have the time or the inclination to follow up. Rjvora was with me during almost all the crucial meets at Spectra and I don't think I would have done well without his continued support. The eventual outcome was sadly bad.

Please be careful dealing with Royal Sundaram - they might say they are associated with Maruti insurance blah blah but they are utterly unprofessional and cheaters when it comes to claim settlement.

Well.. As all of us, I too have learnt some things in life the hard way and am never looking back to the incident. If you guys want any more info/clarification etc please feel free..

Adios..
Old 19th December 2009, 07:52   #124
Senior - BHPian

Hey Don, well thats pretty bad for Royal Sundaram to ditch you. But from what i've heard, almost all insurance companies are similar when it comes to claims.

I too have a fight ON with an insurance company!
Old 19th December 2009, 08:48   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Details please if we can help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_DoN View Post
Rjvora was with me during almost all the crucial meets at Spectra and I don't think I would have done well without his continued support.
Thank you for such a kind word's.
I respect your decision.
Old 20th December 2009, 02:49   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hey Don, well thats pretty bad for Royal Sundaram to ditch you. But from what i've heard, almost all insurance companies are similar when it comes to claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
Details please if we can help?

Thank you for such a kind word's.
I respect your decision.
Thanks Rjvora.. I'd be calling you for another favor soon !!
@headers: Do you have a post up with details reg. your case? If not, let us know - I'm sure we might be able to give ya a few tips !!
I hope its not a major amount thou !!
Old 20th December 2009, 04:05   #127
Senior - BHPian

It is so sad to know the denial of the claim. They make call after call, with many honey coated sweet words, like the promises to the poor man. When it comes for a claim they turn down with many excuses.
Old 20th December 2009, 07:51   #128
Senior - BHPian

@Don, let the bad taste dissolve itself. You have the car back, everyone is fine and safe- that is more important. The lesson learnt, the cost of the lesson - monetary and otherwise is valuable to all of us, Thanks for sharing.

I for one have made it clear to at least 5 of my friends not to go for Royal Sundaram when they asked for an opinion. I hope eventually they learn a lesson...
Old 20th December 2009, 18:55   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
Thank you for your kind words. That's reason why I am hear on TEAM-BHP to help member's and make new friends like you.

My fingers are crossed and I am hoping that your claim will be payable full.
Have gone through the entire thread , and have read all the technical detailing provided by one and all in here . Some even went to the extreme of saying that it was case of broad day light robbery and our good friend don was being made to pay for some ones broken cam shaft. But what i fail to understand here, is that why does not everybody realize here that this damage was entirely due to an accident and that all insurance policies would obviously cover this. Suppose you where traveling on the Pune express way and one hits a stone at 120 kmph even if one is very alert and technically aware the mere process of stopping the car pulling to the kerb and killing the engine is surely going to take some time as well as distance. Can the insurance company say that they will not entertain the claim and treat it a consequential damage .Its just that the surveyor in Dons case why trying to act smart with an intention to knock of some money from him and some tough talking would have solved the problem. Just a question to DON did the insurance company communicate to you in writing that they would not compensate the damage to your car
Old 20th December 2009, 19:59   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
@Don, let the bad taste dissolve itself. You have the car back, everyone is fine and safe- that is more important. The lesson learnt, the cost of the lesson - monetary and otherwise is valuable to all of us, Thanks for sharing.

I for one have made it clear to at least 5 of my friends not to go for Royal Sundaram when they asked for an opinion. I hope eventually they learn a lesson...
Well trust me on this one - I am sharing my experience at home, office, friends etc.. Must have made sure Rotal Sundaram at least loses 100 customers (for my 100 days of agony).
The loss in terms of annual premiums for the company would far outweigh their cheap decision to deny my claim. Frankly, I dont know which is a good insurance company to go for but I surely will make sure to always avoid Royal Sundaram (life ins., motor ins., MF's etc) for my life ! The brand name just evokes anger & disgust to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjz View Post
Have gone through the entire thread , and have read all the technical detailing provided by one and all in here . Some even went to the extreme of saying that it was case of broad day light robbery and our good friend don was being made to pay for some ones broken cam shaft. But what i fail to understand here, is that why does not everybody realize here that this damage was entirely due to an accident and that all insurance policies would obviously cover this. Suppose you where traveling on the Pune express way and one hits a stone at 120 kmph even if one is very alert and technically aware the mere process of stopping the car pulling to the kerb and killing the engine is surely going to take some time as well as distance. Can the insurance company say that they will not entertain the claim and treat it a consequential damage .Its just that the surveyor in Dons case why trying to act smart with an intention to knock of some money from him and some tough talking would have solved the problem. Just a question to DON did the insurance company communicate to you in writing that they would not compensate the damage to your car
Exactly, also the accident never happens at idle engine speed. I wanted a written analysis from Maruti as to what they think is the reason of the damage.

Everyone: FYI the reason why Maruti pulled its hands up was - They said that the extensive damage to the engine is related to variety of scenarios 1)Engine RPM 2)Engine temperature 3)Rate of engine oil loss 4)Couple of other things that I don't recollect. They said that "normally" the damage to the cam casing should not happen in case of few seconds of oil loss, however it depends on the above factors !!!

They just pulled up their hands saying that it is definitely not a manufacturing fault and the decision is between the customer and insurance company. They also denied to give anything in writing as to what they think could have been the reason of damage citing it dependence on the above factors. I spoke extensively to the regional head regarding this to no avail. In the end, he gave me a small discount though ~10% on parts and ~50% on labour. This saved me around 10k and I am satisfied that Maruti proved its worth.

Reg. communication - After repeated calls and threats they finally sent me a 'scanned' copy of the denial letter (I STILL have not received the hard-copy of the same). Frankly, I don't care about the same right now.

Do you guys think I should send across the link to this thread to all the Royal Sundaram mail-ids i have?

Last edited by ThE_DoN : 20th December 2009 at 20:02.
Old 20th December 2009, 20:11   #131
Senior - BHPian

Hey,

Why don't you visit insurance Ombudsman at Sanatcruz east. It might not solve the problem but it wont take more than 3 - 4 hours to meet and explain the issue and to find out if they can do anything.

It helped me to get ICICI to pay a mediclaim that they were sitting on for 7 months.
Old 21st December 2009, 09:17   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you guys think I should send across the link to this thread to all the Royal Sundaram mail-ids i have?
You must DON. On same lines I was also thinking. Do that.
Old 21st December 2009, 09:34   #133
BHPian

Please post the detailed expenses that you incured to get your Dzire back on Road.

Personally, I would want you to pursue a Case with the consumer forum and followup with insurance Ombudsmanas pointed by "NetfreakBombay".

I fail to understand as to why Maruti declined the written reply. You owe one. Please write to all officials of Maruti seeking a written reply which can act in your favour if at you decide to go ahead with a case.

Had you been through the second service?

I understand, its pain to go through this process of Consumer forum. But its worth it. Thugs, need to be shown there place.

On a lighter note, you need to ask the insurance guys to stop the vehicle moving @ 100 Kmph within 3 seconds to Zero..
Old 21st December 2009, 09:44   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know a lot of guys wanted me to pursue this case in the court of law but personally i did not have the time or the inclination to follow up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Why don't you visit insurance Ombudsman at Sanatcruz east. It might not solve the problem but it wont take more than 3 - 4 hours to meet and explain the issue and to find out if they can do anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Personally, I would want you to pursue a Case with the consumer forum and followup with insurance Ombudsmanas pointed by "NetfreakBombay".
I think he has already given the reason why not to go for consumer forum or insurance ombudsman.
Old 21st December 2009, 10:39   #135
Senior - BHPian

Going to consumer forum is a lengthy process and not everyone has time to do that.

However, ombudsman office is very aprochable and you would know in a few hours if they can help or not.

Most Viewed