Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2009, 00:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
@Greenie --- No idea about the 2 tubeless and 2 tubetype. However, he did replace only two tyres at our place.

@Ravveendrra --- I wish I could get you these details. But this customer is gone for good. He just shouted at us for half an hour this morning. We even told himt ot wait for the Apollo company people who were on their way. He blamed us and held us responsible and stormed away.

You can imagine how this makes me feel. For no fault of ours, we lost a customer.
Sorry to hear that Nikhil. Without those basic details, there is nothing one can do. One could however write to the IRDA (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority) about this issue and ask them to give a directive to all insurance companies.

Cheers,
Old 16th June 2009, 00:12   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
@Greenie --- No idea about the 2 tubeless and 2 tubetype. However, he did replace only two tyres at our place.

@Ravveendrra --- I wish I could get you these details. But this customer is gone for good. He just shouted at us for half an hour this morning. We even told himt ot wait for the Apollo company people who were on their way. He blamed us and held us responsible and stormed away.

You can imagine how this makes me feel. For no fault of ours, we lost a customer.
Nikhil, I still feel you should arm yourself with sufficient knowledge to avoid repeat of this incident ever again. Let me see if I can find a contract online (too lazy to go down 3 flights of stairs and a few meters to check my car insurance contract). Otherwise, will post back tomorrow.
Old 16th June 2009, 09:50   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Nikhil, I still feel you should arm yourself with sufficient knowledge to avoid repeat of this incident ever again. Let me see if I can find a contract online (too lazy to go down 3 flights of stairs and a few meters to check my car insurance contract). Otherwise, will post back tomorrow.
Exactly my thoughts too. Which is why I posted it on TBHP. The sad thing is, if it's true, then it's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.
Old 16th June 2009, 10:02   #19
BANNED

Does using a tyre with a different tread pattern amount to modification?

Sorry, changing to tubeless tyres is not a modification. Concept of a "standard" car, "standard" fittings, and "modifications" is a a well known concept in the industry.

The insurer is liable, IMHO. If he dallies, take him to court; not the IRDA. AFAIK, IRDA has no mechanism for this kind of disputes. (correct me if I am wrong).

But in any other country, it is the tyre manufacturer who would be sued, not the insurer.
Old 16th June 2009, 10:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

I am very sure insurance company with which he insured his car is ICICI Lombard. ICICI Lombard is one of the worst insurance company when making claim.

I have sympathy for car owner. Hope court can understand his pain.
Old 16th June 2009, 10:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I am very sure insurance company with which he insured his car is ICICI Lombard. ICICI Lombard is one of the worst insurance company when making claim. I have sympathy for car owner. Hope court can understand his pain.
Exactly. Has to be ICICI Lombard or Reliance. They are well known for cheating customers.
Old 16th June 2009, 10:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
........The insurer is liable, IMHO. If he dallies, take him to court; not the IRDA. AFAIK, IRDA has no mechanism for this kind of disputes. (correct me if I am wrong).

But in any other country, it is the tyre manufacturer who would be sued, not the insurer.
1. I suggested the IRDA as Nikhil has lost contact with the customer (victim of Insurance fraud), therefore there is little we can do to help this particular customer. The insurance companies are scared witless of the IRDA, perhaps due to the fact that IRDA can cancel their license. IRDA too issues guidelines, notes etc. from time to time to protect the consumers and keep the insurance companies in line. A guideline might help others like Nikhils customer.

2. I fail to see the logic behind the tyre compay being sued. Is it their fault that they spend millions to develop new and better products? Are they to be blamed for giving consumers safer products? Unless it can be shown that the tyre was defective, causing the accident, it makes no sense to sue the tyre company. In any case it is the duty of the insurance company to settle the claim first. It may be open to the insurance company to recover the amount from the tyre manufacturer.

Cheers,
Old 16th June 2009, 11:13   #23
BHPian

This is wierd! A friend drove my M800 into a rock a couple of years ago The car was running Goodyear tubeless tyres, that too 155/70R12 (upsize).

I had a Tata AIG policy and they paid (repairs were quoted at Rs 54K) the final bill of close to Rs 40K. The front left tyre was replaced as part of the claim (though they only paid for a 145/70R12 size tyre).
Old 16th June 2009, 12:30   #24
BANNED

What if a tubeless tyre has a tube?
Old 16th June 2009, 12:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm, this really is a new one for me. Damn these insurance cos for coming up with the lamest of excuses to not pay up. Sometimes I wonder if I should just take a Third Party Insurance Policy instead of a comprehensive policy.

Anyways, this thread has me worried. I've upgraded the stock Bridgestone on my Santro from 155 to 165mm. Everything else such as size, tube type, brand remains the same.

Can they refuse payment in my case also, claiming the same excuse that I've changed the stock tyres and hence violated the terms and conditions of the Insurance policy?
Old 16th June 2009, 13:25   #26
BHPian

My two paisa worth - for all insurance related greivances, one doesn't have to go to court. IRDA has appointed ombudsman. The process is very quick and efficient. I strongly believe (going by the facts as presented) that the customer will surely get the claim money. Fixing an after market ICE and having your car burnt due to a short circuit can make things difficult if the insurer was not informed about the fitment. So all who have done this, please ensure that your insurer is informed and the ICE is also insured.
Old 16th June 2009, 13:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Going by this argument - If I replace Swift steel wheels with a more safer Alloys and change Swift standard JK tyres 165/80/R14 with 185/70/R14 then the insurance will reject a claim if there is an accident on the car.
Old 16th June 2009, 14:28   #28
BHPian

If this is the case then we will have to update the insurer every time we do some thing to our car like I changed the wheels & tyres, I installed ICE, I have changed the air filter, I have put new seat & steering cover, Spoiler, Sunfilm, fog lamps and the list goes on...
Old 16th June 2009, 15:42   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Firstly, he should be thanking God that he walked away without serious injury / fatality.

About the insurance company : Tell him to go FIGHT. Complain first to the higher-ups and watch the incompetent officer squirm.

BTW, which insurance company is it? We'll know whom to avoid.
Old 16th June 2009, 15:52   #30
BHPian

I dont like the sound of this customer. He just came and yelled at the OP, refused to listen to any suggestions / solutions and left in a huff. I wonder what he is going to do about his car, without insurance.

Most Viewed