Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2009, 11:47   #16
BHPian

Tell me something

Airbags, if inflated during an accident has to be replaced? Or can it be pushed back into place?
Old 6th January 2009, 11:54   #17
BHPian

Good question I also want to know why we need to change dash board etc. Cant be repaired. Is it common across all car vendors or just with Skoda.
Old 6th January 2009, 17:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
Tell me something

Airbags, if inflated during an accident has to be replaced? Or can it be pushed back into place?
I am glad to answer this because I my self was not knowing this and got it from the automobile expert.

No it can not be pushed back into place.

What happens then???

When ever there is a accident in the car and air bag comes out They will break the dashboard and blow up then the hole dashboard along with the air bags has to be replaced with the new one.
Old 27th August 2009, 08:54   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
Airbags are covered only up to 50% of the cost.
tata aig now has an add-on value called 'depreciation reimbursement'. You pay more premium but it covers all kind plastic, rubber,glass and airbag depreciation.

Other insurance companies are also coming up with similar plans.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:07   #20
BHPian

Somewhat off-topic - but the tata's are asking for development of low cost (but still effective) airbags to go with the nano.

Remember reading a whole article about it. I think those are supposed to cost around 10$.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
tata aig now has an add-on value called 'depreciation reimbursement'. You pay more premium but it covers all kind plastic, rubber,glass and airbag depreciation.

Other insurance companies are also coming up with similar plans.
Yes, there is a different thread for this topic.

There is one more company Cholamandalam has already launch that kind of product.
Old 6th September 2010, 15:01   #22

Hi All:

I hope this is the right forum to bring this up.

I had left my car with my my mechanicfor a steering Rack job and was parked at his garage for over two weeks. While handing over the car he tells me that while the car was on Jack and parked at the garage, the airbag got deployed.

Is this possible?
I suspect not but if yes, what is my liability here?
Old 7th September 2010, 11:39   #23
BHPian

What about the default insurance that the companies like Maruti/Hyundai offers - the one that the dealership offers by default. Would that also not cover damages if airbags are deployed?
Old 16th September 2010, 10:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvaan View Post
I had left my car with my my mechanicfor a steering Rack job and was parked at his garage for over two weeks. While handing over the car he tells me that while the car was on Jack and parked at the garage, the airbag got deployed.

Is this possible?
I suspect not but if yes, what is my liability here?
I think this is carelessness of the the garage and insurance will not help on this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
What about the default insurance that the companies like Maruti/Hyundai offers - the one that the dealership offers by default. Would that also not cover damages if airbags are deployed?
If there is an accident then only insurance company will help getting the claim by 50% as this goes under the plastic and rubber part.
Old 16th September 2010, 10:25   #25
Team-BHP Support

AFAIK, Airbags don't get deployed if seat belts are not worn. Car on Jack will not have had its seat belts engaged. You may want to consider this point as well.

Also check for any damage to the bumper and bonnet.
That might prove if the car met with an accident or not.
Old 16th September 2010, 10:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
When ever there is a accident in the car and air bag comes out They will break the dashboard and blow up then the hole dashboard along with the air bags has to be replaced with the new one.
I doubt whether the Airbag has to break the dashboard to come out, because that would be more dangerous for the passenger (flying splinters). There should be a 'slot' in the dashboard (or steering wheel) for the airbag to shoot out. In that case, why do you need to replace the whole dashboard and the steering? Why can't they replace just the covering of the 'slot' ? I think this is fleecing.
Old 16th September 2010, 10:39   #27
Team-BHP Support

This is not fleecing, that is how airbags are designed.
They are able to deploy at such highspeed because of a small explosive charge that is ignited.
Once deployed an airbag cannot be reused. It also ends up destroying the dashboard and the entire thing needs to be replaced.
Old 29th June 2011, 20:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: Are air bags covered by insurance?

Very old thread, but I guess the only appropriate one.

If I take the zero-depreciation rider in the insurance, does that cover airbags 100% then?

Also what if airbags deploy etc. - I take the car for repairs but then told them not to fix new airbags (e.g. Figo titanium airbags deploy, later at the time or repair I tell them to install ZXI dashboard etc. without airbags).

Unlike many BHPians I'm not a big fan of airbags (I'm fanatic about seatbelts and safe driving) and bought a Titanium mainly for its ABS - so sometimes I worry about the airbags (though I know fully well that if I'm ever in an accident where the airbags deploy, airbags will be the least of my concerns).
Old 17th December 2011, 00:20   #29
BHPian

I personally don't understand the whole point of airbags especially when I see those WRC crashes where cars flip, crash, burn and disintegrate in the most spectacular fashion leaving the drivers without as much as a scratch!!
If cars can protect the drivers in such extreme crashes without airbags, then why put them there in the first place and charge an enormous amount of money for the same?
Old 17th December 2011, 01:19   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_m5 View Post
I personally don't understand the whole point of airbags especially when I see those WRC crashes where cars flip, crash, burn and disintegrate in the most spectacular fashion leaving the drivers without as much as a scratch!!
If cars can protect the drivers in such extreme crashes without airbags, then why put them there in the first place and charge an enormous amount of money for the same?
WRC cars are built for a purpose. The body, chassis, etc are heavily strengthened in order to tolerate a great deal of force. The car is made a whole lot more rigid. WRC cars are equipped with roll-cages that ensure that body-parts and pillars don't cave-in, in the event of a crash such as a roll-over.

We cannot compare the structural rigidity and integrity of a WRC car to that of a car that's built for daily commuting. The shell may be similar, but that's where the similarities end.

By the way, you're going completely

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th December 2011 at 01:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks