Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2018, 16:57   #61
BHPian

Re: Smart Card instead of RTO RC book

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Has Pune RTO started issuing smart cards again ? Can someone from Pune confirm ?
I guess they have started issuing the smart cards again.

Have read in some news paper, All it said was log in to https://parivahan.gov.in/ and apply for the smart card. Fees mentioned was 200 INR.

If anybody knows the procedure to get the paper RC changed to smart card then, share the info here.

Cheers
Josh
Old 21st January 2018, 17:43   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuakeys View Post

Have read in some news paper, All it said was log in to https://parivahan.gov.in/ and apply for the smart card. Fees mentioned was 200 INR.

If anybody knows the procedure to get the paper RC changed to smart card then, share the info here.

Cheers
Josh
Would like to know if anyone has similar info for Tamil Nadu Chennai West (TN 09).
Old 21st January 2018, 18:28   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuakeys View Post

Cheers
Josh
I got my new RC in October and I simply got a A4 printout with RTO stamp on it. Smart card is not available yet.
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:31   #64
Senior - BHPian

I didn't receive my RC book Smart card even after 3 months of my car purchase. I had to walk down to local RTO to inquire about it. They apologized and asked for some of my Identity proof. After verifying my identity, they immediately printed it and handed over to me.

In Gujarat, RC book smart cards are issued for almost more than 10 years (as far as I know). However, the irony is that traffic cops don't have those smart card reader with them on duty. This is something strange. If they come across a private car with a roof-mounted cargo carrier, they wouldn't be able to check that its RTO approved/ registered.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 14:33   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

I have applied for re-registration of my 15 year old Zen recently. Among the other fees & taxes payable, I paid for the smart card fee as well. The original RC of the car was in the A4 paper sheet format. I shall however receive the RC in about 3 weeks.

JH RTO is issuing smart cards since more than 10 years now.
In my view, any change in vehicle RC details will be followed by replacement of paper RC to smart card now. This also ensures that the records of even older vehicles are slowly being digitised for the Vaahan database. This is the trend in all RTOs across India.

Regards,
Saket
Old 22nd January 2018, 14:36   #66
Senior - BHPian

Got a smart card for a 2 wheeler i bought last month here in Mumbai, However received an easy to spoil A4 size paper as the RC of my bmw few months before that, I gave a call to a RTO agent here to know the things to be done to transfer the A4 size paper to smart card, He shall get back to me by tomorrow will post an update then.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 14:40   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Smart card issued by Pune RTO in 15 days flat!

Just wanted to update everyone:

I bought a new car in Jan 2018 in Pune. The number was issued on 15th and received the smart card by regular post on 31st!

Isn't it nice when system just works?

Note: No fancy number or pre-booking or anything like that. Just a regular number.
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 11:50   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

I am buying a used car here in Chennai. The seller seems to have the smart card RC alone and he hasn't yet found a paper RC for the car. I will need to transfer the registration to my name in the same city but at a different RTO. Is the smart card alone enough? Please advise!
Old 6th September 2018, 11:56   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I am buying a used car here in Chennai. The seller seems to have the smart card RC alone and he hasn't yet found a paper RC for the car. I will need to transfer the registration to my name in the same city but at a different RTO. Is the smart card alone enough? Please advise!
Chennai is yet to catch up on the smart card RC system unlike rest of Indian states who are already there.
I think only Thirvanmiyur RTO issues smart card RC. If you are transferring the car to another RTO which still has not subscribed to the smart card RC, they may give you the "big two-pager" RC.
There will be no issue in transferring, if your papers and vehicle papers are in order.
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 12:07   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I have applied for re-registration of my 15 year old Zen recently.

change in vehicle RC details will be followed by replacement of paper RC to smart card now. This also ensures that the records of even older vehicles are slowly being digitised for the Vaahan database. This is the trend in all RTOs across India.
Registration of a 2003 Corolla was renewed a few months back in Gujarat; the old RC book gave way to a smart card RC. Till the book was around, the details weren't reflecting in Parivahan. Now the details are there on the Site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
TN07 is the only RTO in TN that introduced this card system with the added nuisance of an RC paper extract. RC Card plus paper extract are both needed for ownership transfer. The registered owner has to get the paper extract from TN07 RTO; one day's job if one goes through a reliable agent there.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 09:13   #71
BHPian

Our dealer said that the RC Smart Card takes up to 45 days, excluding non working days to be delivered via post.

Any idea how long it ideally takes in Mumbai?

Also no issues in travelling to another state without the Smart Card right?
TROOPER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 09:23   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Our dealer said that the RC Smart Card takes up to 45 days, excluding non working days to be delivered via post.
Yea; it can take that long. Surprisingly, the RC comes real quick when a new one is issued after hypothecation removal.

If you intend to travel inter-city/state, get the RC Extract (takes about 15-20min and 20-odd rupees) at the RTO. Plus, keep the original Invoice and RC/TC Payment receipt.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 09:24   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In Mumbai, the dealers say 45 days but the RC usually comes within 30 days.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 08:52   #74
BHPian

Quote:

Also no issues in travelling to another state without the Smart Card right?
My car was registered on 7th Feb’20 and I received my RC (smart card) by Speed Post on 11th Mar’20. So the time frame of 45 days given by dealership holds good. FYI, My car is registered with Andheri RTO.
Old 17th November 2021, 10:19   #75
Senior - BHPian

My registration was done at Bangalore East RTO (KA-03) on 7-Oct and the RC status on Parivahan portal shows RC generated on 9-Nov. I am yet to receive it. Any idea when can I expect it. The courier details are not available.

Most Viewed