Team-BHP - Help needed, post-accident
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Indian Car Loans & Insurance (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/)
-   -   Help needed, post-accident (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/68574-help-needed-post-accident.html)

My friends one week old punto met with an accident yesterday. It crashed on to a electric post and a tree . No other vehicle involved. The occupants of the car were safe. But the front bumper, headlights, radiator etc damaged. not sure of engine damage, and the whole body seems to be pushed back (the back wheels are closer to back bumper ). When we contacted the tata service they told that if the engine is damaged beyond repair then the owner will get total loss from insurance. We are not very keen on repairing this car as its looks really bad. Is it a good idea to make some damages to engine to get the total loss benefit. In the F.I.R. its mentioned that engine is damaged. The owner is a bhpian with the handle drnibu. I think he will give his account of the accident( with pictures) soon as he is busy right now.

Can you post pics of the damage?

If the back wheels are pushed back there might be chasis damage. Better claim total loss for it.

From the description above - Total Loss is the right way.

causing further damages to the engine is tantamount to insurance fraud. dont do it - it is a very serious offence and it is very rarely that people get away with things like that.

suggest you immediately have an FIR filed with the local police and share that report with the insurance company asking them to inspect the vehicle. meantime get the service agency to evaluate the damages on the vehicle and give you their views - also take an estimate for damage and recommendations on repair/ total loss claim. The chassis per se can be bent in which case the car will never perform again like it is supposed to. (it is a monocoque construction in this case so the damage can really be very severe without it looking so bad at first sight.) In this case one can try to claim total loss stating the car will henceforward be unsafe to drive.
all the best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireblade007 (Post 1562581)
My friends one week old punto met with an accident yesterday. It crashed on to a electric post and a tree . No other vehicle involved. The occupants of the car were safe. But the front bumper, headlights, radiator etc damaged. not sure of engine damage, and the whole body seems to be pushed back (the back wheels are closer to back bumper ). When we contacted the tata service they told that if the engine is damaged beyond repair then the owner will get total loss from insurance. We are not very keen on repairing this car as its looks really bad. Is it a good idea to make some damages to engine to get the total loss benefit. In the F.I.R. its mentioned that engine is damaged. The owner is a bhpian with the handle drnibu. I think he will give his account of the accident( with pictures) soon as he is busy right now.

If the repair cost is more then 75% of Idv then only you can go for total loss, otherwise you will have to get the vehicle repaired only. Photos will help us to know much better.

But if there is major chassis damage, it makes much more sense to just push for a total loss. Unless the chassis is repaired properly, it will not be as strong as it was this time during the next crash and could be disastrous.

@fireblade007, You can talk to Tata service guys. They will definitely help you in getting a Total Loss claim. As shankar mentioned, Once the service guy certifies that it is unsafe to drive (more likely since the shell is damaged), There wont be any issues in getting a Total Loss.

Oops, sorry to hear that a new car has gotten so badly banged up. I hope the occupants were ok.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireblade007 (Post 1562581)
Is it a good idea to make some damages to engine to get the total loss benefit. In the F.I.R. its mentioned that engine is damaged.

This is most definitely not a good idea. Any tampering after the accident and then claiming insurance will be Insurance Fraud.

The current IDV should be maximum and the car wouldn't have depriciated.
There's zero chance that this damage would be considered Total Loss.

If Fiat service guys certify its unsafe then, Insurance company has to provide total loss benefit. Accidental damage making it unsafe for the car has to be total loss. Ask for an entire estimate of the repairs including replacing costs that will provide a fair idea.
And never ever do anything to engine or anything just to claim total loss, its insurance fraud, forget getting the value of car. If convicted you will be put in jail for few years.

If its a very high speed accident then there is lot of chance of chassis being damaged. Post pictures, they will give eveyone a more detailed idea.

IDV for a new car is usually 95% of the ex-showroom price. He should get that refunded. There might be a way to claim road tax refund as well.

Posting some pics would help in assessing the extent of damage.

Do NOT try to damage the vehicle any further, the insurance company will find out and won't take it lightly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 1563318)
The current IDV should be maximum and the car wouldn't have depriciated.
There's zero chance that this damage would be considered Total Loss.

I think you are Right!!!

To take a total loss call is not in our hand or in the hand of the insurance company it the repairing cost of the car.

POSTING PICS...
I have taken delivery on oct 24th only..
Will update in a short while..

OMG, that's a very painful sight for a newly purchased car.

Good to know that everyone was safe. How did the accident happen ?

drnibu, can you update on what's happened so far ?