Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2011, 19:16   #31
BHPian

Re: Car Registration-Incidental Expenses-Are we abetting corruption ? Lets stop it !!

Folks,

Wanted to share my horrific experience with correction to my RC for my previous car Ford Ikon 1.6NXT ZXI. It was during early 2011 that I had decided to go for ANHC in exchange for my Ford Ikon and to my horror, it was then that I discovered that the chasis and engine# mentioned in the RC did not tally with the actuals that were on the car. The dealer refused to get into exchange deal until the RC got corrected.

Then my terrible time started and I got in touch with a middleman in RTO who charged me onetime fee of 3.5K to get the whole thing corrected. However, it was me who ended up running from pillar to post to get the things done. First of all, I had to go to my Ford Dealer with the sale certificate (this will be with the RTO file which I got it from the middleman). I showed them the sale certificate and said that it was a mistake from the dealer that the wrong chasis and engine# had been mentioned at the time of registering the car 5.5 yrs ago.

To my luck, the dealer was kind enough to dig out 5.5yrs files from his office and then write up a new sale certificate with correct Engine and chasis# respectively. The total process to get my sale certificate took 3 days after which I gave the same to the middleman at the RTO. This did not end here and infact from this day, it took 5 weeks for me to get the corrected RC smart card. I had to continuously followup with this guy who kept on postponing the thing due to some or the other reason and I also had to run to his office at the RTO complex many times to sit on his head. . Finally after 5 weeks, I got my RC card having correct information and a huge burden was offloaded from my head.

Folks, Request all of you to thoroughly validate all the information as soon as you get your RC for your new car so that you can be saved from all the hassles that I had to go through after 5.5yrs.

Last edited by kirantp : 21st August 2011 at 19:19.
Old 21st August 2011, 19:17   #32
BHPian

Re: Car Registration-Incidental Expenses-Are we abetting corruption ? Lets stop it !!

The very reason that we face trouble in most Govt offices like RTO, Sub-register office etc, that we don't exactly know the processflow of that office as whom to lookout for, and The "GOVT Corruption" comes here as they don't put any sign board(most places) so that its easy for aam aadmi. And if by chance you find a proper sign boarded office(very rare), the designated chair will be empty and you don't know who is the replacement. I had to pay bribe at Electronic city RTO for my 1st car, but I went with the agent to see the process. I got my number plates and paper done in 1 day. For my current vehicle I did it myself without giving a single paise and it took 1.5 weeks to get number plate and 3 weeks for the smart card RC. But end of the day I feel happy that I denied the babu his pocket money. Hebbagudi Police station asked Rs 700 to clear my passport verification form, when I offered Rs 200 without they asked me. Then I decided I will not pay a single paisa, and I got my normal passport after 6 months after 3 emails to Ministry of External Affairs and one RTi application. But I got it for free, my team mates at office used to laugh at me, seeing my trouble and many suggested I take "B"-way, but I had the last smile. If we can spare some time from our so called tight schedule, I think in many cases we can escape giving bribe.
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 19:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

When I bought my Alto Lxi 3 years back from Indus Motors, Trivandrum, I questioned the 3000 Rs break-up given for Registration, since I knew that the RTO fees is only 500 Rs. Three months back I bought an A-star Automatic from the same dealer, and this time they turned smarter. In the Price break-up, they mentioned 500 Rs for Registration and included the extra 2500 Rs under "Driver Expenses, Transit Insurance" section. Isn't the Driver Expense and transit insurance directly paid by Maruti?
Old 21st August 2011, 19:59   #34
BHPian

Registration process today is a lot hassle free then it was few years back. Key to successful registration is to ensure that we have all the documents ready. All the RTOs in the country have their state specific website which gives you all the information you need. Dealers are also helpful to ensure that all the documents are ready. I have recently registered by Bike in 30-40 mins [Secunderabad RTA] in AP without paying anything to any of the authorities.

New registration is easy part. Transfer of registration or payment of tax or changing the car color or fitness certificate is somewhat tricky. We need to prepare well and ensure that we have all the documentation ready. One way to do this is call a broker after doing your homework and check with him if you have all the documents ready, use it more as a double check. Pay him say 30-50 bucks for this confirmation if you want to [at the end of the day he should also live].

Most of the RTAs follow token system. Being 15 mins before the token counter opens will save you a lot of time as you will be in 1-10 members in sequence.

Now there is another aspect to this. Brokers who charge for registration should also make money because that is their business. Now in the process most of them may be bribing the authorities or may be not but remember this is their bread and butter. Not all are educated like us and question the authorities if something is not being done. So they thrive on these simple citizens who want to get their work done ASAP and are not familiar with the processes or the system.

They is no reason for paying any bribe to any of the authorities either directly or indirectly if you are prepared and ready to question if something is not being done.
Old 21st August 2011, 23:59   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

You could have cross checked the registration fees at your RTO like I did and renegotiated the same with the dealer. Next time you would be more careful while purchasing another car.
Ofcourse I did that. The RTO also told me 90k. But they did not say anything as a bribe (why would they). You misunderstood my point, the dealer was not trying to cheat me. Its only when I got the receipt that I saw 69k printed on it(I actually paid 90k), and my dealer told me this is a new trick of the RTO guys to take a bribe. Its like I do not have proof that I paid a bribe so they cannot be caught later(since receipt says 69k and not 90k).
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:17   #36
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to register a new car on your own - Bangalore

There are 2 reasons for which this RTO bribe is rampant
1. People do not know the process- they think those charges are indeed for registration only
2. People want convenience and are ready to pay a little bit more rather than go and do work themselves- i have even heard that rather than save 3-4K if i invest that time in my primary profession, i would earn more( in business specifically)
The first category are more- how many times has this thread and such threads been read- hardly any
The second are there too- these are the people who need to wake up and stop this attitude- but who can change them?
I guess if we educate more and more who we know are buying new cars, we can do a little in our own way. A friend is buying a new Figo and i told him this- he is also avoiding paying bribe.
The ONLY problem is MOST cars are financed and when that's the case, trying to avoid this is a huge pain.
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:46   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
".anshuman" has nicely explained the registration process and required documents in Gurgaon:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2447004
Thanks mukeshgoel. Though in my case, the car needs to be re-register in HR (from AP), the reference gives an idea. Today should be off in RTO and I plan to go there tomorrow morning!
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:14   #38
Senior - BHPian

Mods, have a query around RTO and couldnt find a thread on the lines of "All Insurance queries ..." thread hence posting it here.

I have a 2003 model Honda Dio, bought in bangalore and first registered in bangalore in Indiranagar RTO. I have the sale records, receipt, Road tax receipt etc.

In between we moved to Pune and got the Dio re-registered in Pune (MH-12) and have the RC book for that.

Now we are in bangalore for last 6 years and trying to re-register the Dio in Karnataka for last 2-3 years. The response that i have from the RTO is their records of older registrations have been lost (either due to fire or flood don't remember) and hence facing problem in getting the Dio KA registered.

Has someone faced this problem or has any pointers that can help.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 23rd August 2011 at 11:15. Reason: Grammer
Old 23rd August 2011, 21:19   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
A friend is buying a new Figo and i told him this- he is also avoiding paying bribe.
The ONLY problem is MOST cars are financed and when that's the case, trying to avoid this is a huge pain.

How much of a pain is it? What are the necessary steps and documents for going the "bribe-free- DIY" way?

I am planning on a new car soon and would like to try our my luck at the RTO here in Cochin. Thanks in advance.
Old 27th August 2011, 23:19   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwal View Post
Thanks mukeshgoel. Though in my case, the car needs to be re-register in HR (from AP), the reference gives an idea. Today should be off in RTO and I plan to go there tomorrow morning!
Okay.. I have an update. I finally got time to go Gurgaon RTO to transfer the NOC of my AP registered Car. and I am so happy that I did. The whole process is very smooth and hassle free. It was all done in a matter of few hours. no bribes no unnecessary demands. very supportive officers. The agent was asking for INR 3550 as service charge. I paid not a penny extra than was needed/justified. I must admit that I was inspired with all that is going on around us these days.. salute & thanks to 'The Man' !
Old 3rd September 2011, 21:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Have another question. Is it possible to work in one city and buy+register the car in another city. Don't have any problems with address proof as i am currently living and family will continue to live in Bangalore and i might have to move to Chennai. If family decides not to move with me then i will have to buy a car in Bangalore. Is this possible, especially the Loan formalities?
Old 14th February 2012, 04:19   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Well here are all the details. At Vashi RTO(MH 43) at Navi Mumbai we have 7% tax on the invoice value of the car and Rs. 300 for registration charges including cost of Smart Card. All this goes into GOI kitty and there is no service charges by any babu. Plain and clear charges for registration of a vehicle.
This post was very helpful. Thanks.

I am thinking of registering a new car at my Kharghar address and I would like to know the address of the RTO office where the car has to be registered. I would like to meet them and figure out the exact procedure for myself instead of being taken for a ride by the dealer.

Thanks and cheers!
Old 14th February 2012, 12:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsi View Post
I am thinking of registering a new car at my Kharghar address and I would like to know the address of the RTO office where the car has to be registered. I would like to meet them and figure out the exact procedure for myself instead of being taken for a ride by the dealer.

Thanks and cheers!
You are welcome. Panvel RTO is situated near Karnala Sports Academy GMap Link. The only difference in charges of Vashi RTO(MH43) and Panvel RTO(MH46) is 1% cess which is not charged in Panvel RTO which reduces the registration charges further. For your car the registration charges would be 7% of invoice value + Rs. 300(Smart Card charge), that's it. You can yourself calculate, no need to goto RTO. Cross check up the difference between registration charges charged by dealer and by RTO. That would give you a fair idea how much extra are you paying for ease of work. If you do plan to goto to RTO have a look a special numbers, you might get yourself one and they ain't that costly as quoted by dealers.

I would suggest get your car registered before Budget 2012 as Finance Minister might be introducing further tax burden on mango man.
Old 14th February 2012, 13:51   #44
BHPian

Quote:
You are welcome. Panvel RTO is situated near Karnala Sports Academy GMap Link. The only difference in charges of Vashi RTO(MH43) and Panvel RTO(MH46) is 1% cess which is not charged in Panvel RTO which reduces the registration charges further. For your car the registration charges would be 7% of invoice value + Rs. 300(Smart Card charge), that's it. You can yourself calculate, no need to goto RTO. Cross check up the difference between registration charges charged by dealer and by RTO. That would give you a fair idea how much extra are you paying for ease of work. If you do plan to goto to RTO have a look a special numbers, you might get yourself one and they ain't that costly as quoted by dealers.

I would suggest get your car registered before Budget 2012 as Finance Minister might be introducing further tax burden on mango man.
Wow. This information about the cess, special numbers and the awesome map is very helpful. I may as well get a special number, if it means less trouble on the roads with the cops.

My dealer is charging 8.45% as registration charges which amounts to an additional 24K. Also they are being very rigid about the documents required for address proof and want an additional 12K to get that sorted, so I thought I should just go and talk to those guys myself.

The dealer is deceptive and does not inspire confidence. Hence I am taking it easy. I am not in a rush to buy but if I do buy, I want to be sure that I am not getting ripped off due to my ignorance or my excitement of buying a new toy. If everything goes well, I would like to get it registered before the budget but if not, then that's the way it is.

I can easily use my well maintained 6+ years old Honda City for another 4 years. It runs as beautifully as the day I drove it out of the show room. In any case, my mom, sis and close friends do not want me to sell it even if I buy a new car. lol. So I am going to take it easy till I get a good, clear, transparent deal.

Thanks and cheers!
Old 14th February 2012, 16:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow. This information about the cess, special numbers and the awesome map is very helpful. I may as well get a special number, if it means less trouble on the roads with the cops.
To make things even more awesome here is the link to the cost of various special/ViP nos (Link). If you find a certain number to your liking, just go over to the RTO, ask them if its available. If available, pay up front for the same and you get the receipt for it and not a single penny goes into the pockets of babus. During the registration just attach the receipt and your car is registered on that particular number. I too have a special number on my Vento which costed me Rs. 7500 and I did it all by myself.

Quote:
My dealer is charging 8.45% as registration charges which amounts to an additional 24K. Also they are being very rigid about the documents required for address proof and want an additional 12K to get that sorted, so I thought I should just go and talk to those guys myself.

The dealer is deceptive and does not inspire confidence. Hence I am taking it easy.
There you go 8.45%, day light robbery by the dealer. Regarding the address proof, you need to be resident of the Kalamboli-Panvel area for the car to be registered at that address. Whereas there are other ways of doing so for which it seems the dealer is asking additional Rs. 12000. I would suggest go over to the RTO and inquire about the documents required and they would be more than helpful.
After you are done with it, call the SA tell him that you are very well aware of all the charges and don't want to be fleeced. If they ask for around 5to 6K extra its fine otherwise you could get an agent outside the RTO to get the job done which would still cost less than what the dealer would ask.
Even still dealer doesn't listen just tell him I will cancel my booking and purchase from other dealer, that would be enough for him to come to terms. Otherwise you still have City at your disposal which will easily serve you another 10 yrs.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed