Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2010, 11:23   #1
BANNED

ICICI insurance claim being denied due to FFE & Stickers. EDIT : Now resolved

HI,

My Accent met with a accident and there is some undercarriage damage.
The surveyor has denied the claim due to the Stickers & FFE on my car.

His Reasons -

Stickers - The car is involved in racing
FFE - This should have been endorsed in the Insurance/RC

I do not find the reasons justified at all.

Could you please post your thoughts and how can i get them to approve my insurance claim.

The Car is 3 yr old and the insurance company is ICICI Lombard.
Old 5th January 2010, 11:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
...and the insurance company is ICICI Lombard.
That says it all!

I am not even talking about stickers and racing that saintsinner was told, but does a FFE that is not endorsed in the RC warrant denial of claims? If so, what other modifications warrant a denial?

I think it would be helpful if we put together a database of rightful denial of insurance claims - at least we would know we *may* get into trouble!
Old 5th January 2010, 11:40   #3
BHPian

There you go..another issue where ICICI is involved.

Not much experience in Insurance claims..so far not have had to go thru the same. But I guess, you should ask ICICI to give in writing the reason for declining the claim.

Also, post this in the another thread "Insurance..ask me"..you stand to get better response there IMO.
Old 5th January 2010, 11:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Get the reason for claim rejection in writing first then threaten them of consumer court. If they don't budge file a case in consumer court. They will come down to knees and clear all your dues.
Old 5th January 2010, 11:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Is the undercarriage damage near the exhaust or is there a reason to believe that the modification itself has been damaged?
Old 5th January 2010, 11:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

I'll tell you what. Go to a decent lawyer and get him to write a letter to ICICI telling them to pay up or risk a butt kicking in court. Essentially a threat of legal action. Lawyers know how to do this effectively, especially when you are in the right (my parents did something similar so I know it has a good chance of working). It saves you the bother of a legal battle but there's a very strong chance that it will get ICICI quickly paying up. If they still don't budge, take it to court as others have suggested.

P.S. I'm disgusted by the reasons for non payment. I guess all of us with T-BHP stickers are now uninsured?

EDIT: Can someone confirm if one needs get the FFE endorsed in the RC for most insurance policies?

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 5th January 2010 at 12:07.
Old 5th January 2010, 11:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is hedious.

Ask him to prove yor car was involved in racing when this happened, This is the most absurd reason someone can give.

Pramod
Old 5th January 2010, 11:59   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Get the reason for claim rejection in writing .
First,please read your policy - there would be a clause that this policy would not be applicable in case of racing

Then ask them to put down the reasons for rejection in writing - and see if the reasons match with any clauses in your policy.

Then you'll need to build your case up logically.

It is not going to be easy but you can win.
Old 5th January 2010, 12:02   #9
BANNED

No, the front bumper and tyre hit. the workshop says the crossmember would need to be replaced and the leg is a bit bent. along with the that the bumper, headlight and fog lights would need to be replaced.

The ICICI surveyor is focusing on two things - the stickers (majority of them being T-BHP) he says being a part of this team indicates racing

and then it is the FFE, he says this is a modification for racing and should have been endorsed in the RC/Insurance. Since when do exhausts need to be endorsed?
Old 5th January 2010, 12:14   #10
BHPian

I guess you can fight out the rejection due to the stickers.

I am doubtful on the FFE part as there is no authorized production unit for any FFE until fitted by the car company directly. You might have a problem there. my personal opinion. Talk to the guy who sold you the insurance policy and he might be able to provide you workarounds.
Old 5th January 2010, 12:17   #11
BHPian

Wot rot!

Like the others said, get this in writing from the insurance surveyor - this will be difficult but its the way forward if you want to whup them hard.

I guess any damage to FFE or engine will be tough to fight for if it is not specifically endorsed on the insurance policy, but installation of FFE should not affect the damages to bumper, headlights and fog lights.

Last edited by gomzi : 5th January 2010 at 12:19.
Old 5th January 2010, 12:20   #12
BHPian

Sadly you aint in Mumbai, else you could have just taken MNS to the Icici office, then they would be happy to help you. Jokes apart. One of the sillyest reason i've heard till date. FFE, so what you have not claimed for engine damage or part associated with it. And for the sticker, ask him to find out if Team-bhp is about racing or promotes one. I believe its more for safe driving.
Lesson learnt: Please ban ICICI lombard when considering taking an insurance, will personally do so.
Old 5th January 2010, 12:25   #13
BHPian

The "stickers indicate racing" is a stupid excuse given by the ICICI agent. However the FFE is an illegal mod and you may have a tough time proving this otherwise. The insurance policy fine print states that they can deny any insurance claims if you have carried out any modifications to your stock car. Heck, I have heard about ICICI rejecting an insurance claim because the policy holder had upgraded/upsized his tyres to tubeless ones from a better brand. I personally have been fined a few times for the FFE in my car. But I always pay the fine without haggling because I know that according to the law, an FFE without a cat con is illegal.
Old 5th January 2010, 12:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post

The ICICI surveyor is focusing on two things - the stickers (majority of them being T-BHP) he says being a part of this team indicates racing
YES tell him that you are part of a BIIIIG team who will fight till all such hideous statements are shoved and you are dealt with in a fair way.
Old 5th January 2010, 12:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
The "stickers indicate racing" is a stupid excuse given by the ICICI agent. However the FFE is an illegal mod and you may have a tough time proving this otherwise. The insurance policy fine print states that they can deny any insurance claims if you have carried out any modifications to your stock car. Heck, I have heard about ICICI rejecting an insurance claim because the policy holder had upgraded/upsized his tyres to tubeless ones from a better brand. I personally have been fined a few times for the FFE in my car. But I always pay the fine without haggling because I know that according to the law, an FFE without a cat con is illegal.
+1 to that. An FFE mod is considered as illegal in India, you might have a tough time to justify your claim. The second reason that he gave stating that TBHP stickers means that the car is used for racing is absolutely stupid. As everyone has mentioned, the better way to solve this is to ask the guy to give in wirting the exact reasons that he is citing for denying the claim and theretening him to take things to consumer court. Most of the surveyor will give in and resolve the claim as they will not be backed up by the banks if the reason is pretty lame.

P.S : By any chane is the surveyor expecting money from you to pass this claim?

Most Viewed