Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2010, 17:22   #1
BHPian

My Punto was hit from behind by Honda City - How to claim insurance

HI,

My punto met with an accident, a honda city car hit my punto from behind - I have to replace bumper, fog lights. Malik Cars, Hyderabad gave a quote of 7k for the repair.
Bumper: 2500/-
Rear fog lamps: 800/-
Paint: 3300/-
Service Charges: 200/-
total: 6950/-
Out of this: ~3k needs to be paid by me.
The honda city owner told me that he would pay the expenses that are not covered by insurance company. I have his contact number and the honda city car number. I have not registered any FIR etc.

Can you pls tell me how to proceed with this claim?
If I claim from my insurance policy i would loose no claim bonus. Whats the procedure to claim third_party damages from the honda city's insurance policy?

Thx,
Old 7th February 2010, 19:59   #2
BHPian

Just go to the service center, they would handle it for you. usually only a nominal fee has to be paid (some book charge or something ) + the part of the damages that attract depreciation - like plastic parts : 50% depreciation, etc

incase it is not cashless claim, then you would need to pay cash upfront and later present the bill to the insurance company.

You will lose all/ any no claim bonus.

hope this helps
Old 7th February 2010, 20:10   #3
BANNED

i had faced same problem. but person who hit me from behind was not ready to pay for damages :-).

I will suggest, just go ahead and claim your insurance cover. This will simplify the case also chances of getting higher claim.

Remember:

1. Go for a cashless facility.
2. Reason for damage - You had parked it outside, probably somebody banged it from back. So you dont know (Otherwise you might have to provide FIR).
3. If not plastic parts, insist on replacement of part (100% insurance) instead of denting and painting. Insurance guy will push you for denting and painting.
Old 7th February 2010, 22:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

It is not a good idea to make a claim because of someone esle's fault since you stand to loose the no claim bonus. Please make sure that you account for what you are bound to loose as part of NCB and ask the Honda guy to pay you that in additon to what he has already promised you.
Old 8th February 2010, 09:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maven View Post
HI,

My punto met with an accident, a honda city car hit my punto from behind - I have to replace bumper, fog lights. Malik Cars, Hyderabad gave a quote of 7k for the repair.
Bumper: 2500/-
Rear fog lamps: 800/-
Paint: 3300/-
Service Charges: 200/-
total: 6950/-
Out of this: ~3k needs to be paid by me.
The honda city owner told me that he would pay the expenses that are not covered by insurance company. I have his contact number and the honda city car number. I have not registered any FIR etc.

Can you pls tell me how to proceed with this claim?
If I claim from my insurance policy i would loose no claim bonus. Whats the procedure to claim third_party damages from the honda city's insurance policy?

Thx,
Go for cashless settlement of the claim to the garage which will help you. Yes you are right all the NCB will go from the insurance policy once you make a claim.

How much % NCB you have in your policy?

You can't claim third party as you are the second person to the claim and the person who banged your car is the first party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
It is not a good idea to make a claim because of someone esle's fault since you stand to loose the no claim bonus. Please make sure that you account for what you are bound to loose as part of NCB and ask the Honda guy to pay you that in additon to what he has already promised you.
You buy insurance for making claim right? then why someone else will pay the entire loss amount?

Second person, who banged it from the back, is a good person that he is paying for the loss.
Old 8th February 2010, 09:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

From my experience (and have done twice), you can claim any amount upto Rs 20000 without an FIR. So in this case, since the amount is around 7K, YES, you can go in for the insurance without an FIR & if the insurance guys ask you any question about the damage, just tell them that, its caused by self.

No special procedures are required, just go to the A.S.S & tell them that you're claiming insurance, you need to provide a copy of RC & driving license. The A.S.S guys will call up the insurance & the insurance surveyor guy comes to the A.S.S (here again, if you have recommended insurance, like Maruti Insurance & Maruti Vehicle, the insurance surveyor visits almost everyday, otherwise he takes his sweet time), he analyses the damage, goes back to his company & sends a report stating for what all he can pay.

If the A.S.S is good, they inform you telling how much will be covered by insurance & if they can start working, if not, they'll go ahead with the work & give you a nice surprise stating how much you need to pay. Hope you got the point.

Oh!!! yes, you can claim more than one time in a year for the insurance & each time you claim, you need to pay Rs 500 (atleast with Maruti Insurance) for every claim that you make

Last edited by aargee : 8th February 2010 at 09:13. Reason: Add more contents
Old 8th February 2010, 09:23   #7
BHPian

Incase you claim insurance you will loose NCB as well as your next premium increases. With an repair estimate of Rs.7K just check whether its worthwhile claiming insurance as you will also be getting some compensation from the Honda city guy.
Old 8th February 2010, 09:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
From my experience (and have done twice), you can claim any amount upto Rs 20000 without an FIR.
Wrong information sirji. You can claim till total loss without FIR. Insurer can not force on FIR for Own Damage claims.
Old 8th February 2010, 10:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
Wrong information sirji. You can claim till total loss without FIR. Insurer can not force on FIR for Own Damage claims.
This was the information told to me by a cop when I went for my first claim. Thanks for the correction.
Old 8th February 2010, 11:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This was the information told to me by a cop when I went for my first claim. Thanks for the correction.
I got this reconfirmed form the surveyor and one RTO (He is my friend) No need for FIR if there is no damage to Third party.
Old 8th February 2010, 11:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
damage to Third party.
You mean the person & not the vehicle right?
Old 8th February 2010, 11:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean the person & not the vehicle right?
Yes sir. Person or the property other then car's.
Old 8th February 2010, 11:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You buy insurance for making claim right? then why someone else will pay the entire loss amount?

Second person, who banged it from the back, is a good person that he is paying for the loss.
If the other person is responsible for causing the damage, ideally he needs to use his isurence to settle the damage done to the third party. Many people will not opt for this as it requires going around to court etc.
I was in a simillar situation and made the person to pay partially after he was very hesistant to go through the third party claim route. And, no, he need not be a 'nice person' to oblige for this since it is his mistake, and he better pay up to avoid the legal hassles.
Old 8th February 2010, 11:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Recently went through a similar thing. Guy banged my car from behind when I was going over a speed bump.
I claimed from my insurance and had to pay 1500 from my pocket. The alternative of going to court with a lawyer etc., was too cumbersome.
Old 8th February 2010, 11:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If the other person is responsible for causing the damage, ideally he needs to use his isurence to settle the damage done to the third party. Many people will not opt for this as it requires going around to court etc.
I was in a simillar situation and made the person to pay partially after he was very hesistant to go through the third party claim route. And, no, he need not be a 'nice person' to oblige for this since it is his mistake, and he better pay up to avoid the legal hassles.
Who paid the loss the other car owner or his car insurance company?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks