Team-BHP - Had an accident, insurance queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Indian Car Loans & Insurance (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/)
-   -   Had an accident, insurance queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/7922-had-accident-insurance-queries.html)

Today morning i had an accident with a santro. Though my car was not damaged much the other car flipped and had severe damage. Luckily the lady escaped with few bruses and a cut. Since it was clear to everybody there it happened due to her execive speed. She was crossing the main road at round 60-70kmph while i was doing just 30kmph along with other traffic on the main. She did not see the traffic and tried to zoom through. Due to her high speed i could barely tap my brakes and next i see is santro doing a filp in the air and landing on the roof. The police made us write a letter that we did not want to do a complaint against each other, but they did not let us write that the the traffic lights had been switched of at that junction. (that junction has 2 accidents/week).

At the workshop i was told that the bumper and lights would have to be changed and maybe radiator too. Since the radiator as 1% plastic, (two pipes sticking out) i would get just 50% of the cost as opposed to 75% which i am entitiled. Is this legal or is the insurance company trying to cheat me? Same goes for other part metal part plastic parts which may have been damaged.
The insurance company is Oriental(I chose it due to cashless facitlity)

Pics are here

Glad that you are OK ..

A Maruti dealer guy once mentioned to me that insurances claims are really hard to come by due to this plastic rule .. I guess you may have to live with it ..

What is the estimate given for repairs ?

tough luck man. but hey i see an indica here in pictures. i thot u had a Getz....

\N

About 30K, and if the Radiator thing is gone its 8k from my pocket.(Entire assembly including fan etc., change), then headlight assy, Bumper and bonnet and one fender. Luckily suspension, Tie rods and chasis members are perectly okay, not even mild bending, the exterior metal took all the impact

@ntomer, that was my dads getz which i had borrowed while my indica was in transit from bangalore

Regarding plastic parts, yes there is a crappy rule that does not give you full benefit. But the radiator being metal,that guy (the surveyor) seems to be playing around. Just confirm. have not personally go into such cases though ...

I am very sorry to know about the accident but glad to know that no one was seriously injured. Its right that if plastic pasrts are involved then you will not get 100% coverage. Once my esteem's bumper was badly damaged and I could not claim 100%.

That part about the raditor being 1% plastic is a joke. Let the INsurnace guy know what you know about parts and threaten to take this matter up with his superiors is he does not accede to your requests.

What the workshop fellow told me that this is what has been happening with other claims too where parts like AC condenser, Radiator which have little bit plastic are taken as fully plastic. I will get in touch with Oriental insurance guys at higher level and get this sorted out. For bumper and all i understand 50% rule and i accept it too, but for something like a Condeser, Pump radiator which have little plastic it is actually a joke.

I got to know from Psycho last weekend that technically the correct thing to do is to get the insurance number of the person who is at fault, contact his/her insurance co, and get them to pay for your repairs. In your case, its the lady's insurance company who should be paying for the repairs... not yours.

Glad to know that you were not hurt. Another feather in the cap for indica's good build quality, i guess?

Cheers
Amitoj

For that route it has to be proved that the other party is at fault. with traffic lights not working its very very difficult It all becomes a case of who has better witnesses. More over it means that the cars will be impounded. Another reason i did not press for charges is that the lady actually had a few cuts and bruises and maybe a badly sprained leg. So the police on the scene was more keen on booking me. Luckily she made it clear that she just wants to claim from her insurance and does not want anything from me. the cops which came on the scene on seeing the lady softened for her and would have been very happy to make me pay for her damages, which i think will amount a really really huge amount! Her car is bent in the shaped of a "C"
As for the indica i am glad that i wasnt in another car. She scraped the bumper in such a force from that the cars front portion has slightly bent towards the left, luckily this job is all labour and denting so nothing goes from me. As for other damages i think i will have to take the hit. I was planning to sell it in 2006, but i guess i will do that this month now and go for a new car.

i too had banged my Getz in a Rickshaw abt 2 months back. My radiator and radiator frame were damaged beyond repair, and I too had the same argument with the insurance guy; I challenged him to show me their manual which says that raadiator is plastic, but he plainly refused. I didn't take up the matter further due to time constraints, but I felt cheated. The radiator and compressor have say abt 5% plastic in them and they are counted as plastic parts!!!!!!!!!

Do you have the bills and all ntomer. I am planning to talk to them and if they dont agree i am going to file a case in Consumer courts. It would take maybe 3-4 visits max, and you yourself need not go, the lawyer can. I will fish more info about this after talking to a lawyer and will PM you the details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979
What the workshop fellow told me that this is what has been happening with other claims too where parts like AC condenser, Radiator which have little bit plastic are taken as fully plastic. I will get in touch with Oriental insurance guys at higher level and get this sorted out. For bumper and all i understand 50% rule and i accept it too, but for something like a Condeser, Pump radiator which have little plastic it is actually a joke.

Hey, the engine is also made of plastic...you see, the engine oil cap and dip stick handle are made of plastic.... :p

just kidding tsk...

now, the plastic parts are MADE of plastic. your bumper is, while your radiator is not.

Tell him that..