Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2010, 15:02   #1
BHPian

FIR required for self-accident on the road?

Hi all!

Recently, I had a crash while riding my motorcycle. I was turning around the corner when I didn't see the gravel and I skidded. The motorcycle has taken a hit, and so have I. I didn't hit anyone and no one hit me either. I fell face down and tore a ligament in my foot & hand. Both are in a cast now.

My question is, to claim insurance for repairing my motorcycle, do I have to file an FIR? It is insured with New India Assurance company. Whst is the procedure to start the process?

Any help is appreciated.

Prajwal
Old 28th December 2010, 15:18   #2
BHPian

Re: FIR required for self-accident on the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
Hi all!

Recently, I had a crash while riding my motorcycle. I was turning around the corner when I didn't see the gravel and I skidded. The motorcycle has taken a hit, and so have I. I didn't hit anyone and no one hit me either. I fell face down and tore a ligament in my foot & hand. Both are in a cast now.

My question is, to claim insurance for repairing my motorcycle, do I have to file an FIR? It is insured with New India Assurance company. Whst is the procedure to start the process?

Any help is appreciated.

Prajwal
Sorry to hear about your incident. I too had a similar crash in 2008 where my front tyre tramlined on an irregular patch of road and I had a nasty fall.

I claimed insurance for my Motorcycle repair. No FIR was required. I only had to give a detailed report on what happened.

Wishing you a quick recovery
Old 28th December 2010, 15:25   #3
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to hear about your crash.
Have gone through a very similar situation almost 10 years back.
Please take your bike to A.S.C. and check with them if it is necessary to have a FIR.

In my case, the service center said that they can not proceed with the insurance and repairs without a FIR, so I had to go to the police station (in the area where the crash happened) and register a FIR.

Get well soon
Old 28th December 2010, 15:27   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

For insurance claim in a case of self accident or self damage, you typically dont need an FIR. This is as per the private insurance companies like say Tata AIG etc normal modus operandi. Public sector Insurance companies like say New India Assurance etc may have different rules.
Old 28th December 2010, 15:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Normally, in case of self-damage, one does not need FIR. You may want to escalate this within New India Assurance so that the proper direction can be given to the Claims adjusters and inspectors by their management.
Old 28th December 2010, 15:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

@Prajwal: I've claimed insurance a couple of times! Nope for an *self-accident* i.e. no Third Party damage, you do not need an FIR.

There is need for it as you not injured anyone or damaged anyone else's property.
Old 28th December 2010, 18:03   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
@Prajwal: I've claimed insurance a couple of times! Nope for an *self-accident* i.e. no Third Party damage, you do not need an FIR.

There is need for it as you not injured anyone or damaged anyone else's property.
I am not so sure on this. Can't say about two-wheelers, but for my Indica, Tata AIG had refused to process the claim unless and until I filed an FIR for the self-accident. This was in May 2004.

Here, too, the accident was a similar version of what you had to go through on the bike - the car skidded on lose dirt on a turn, and plunged about 40 ft down. But there was no damage to any other party, not even crops, trees or some such. But the insuring company insisted on an FIR, and the cops obviously made the most of it, you know how.

Anyway, wishing you happy riding in the future,

Cheers,
R_S
Old 28th December 2010, 18:55   #8
BHPian

In that case, I'll just take the bike to the nearest A.S.C & take their help in processing the claim. Lets see if they ask for the FIR or not.

Prajwal
Old 28th December 2010, 18:58   #9
BHPian

Actually when an injury is caused either to the rider or pillion rider or a third party and fir is required to be registered. However for claiming only damage to the vehicle no fir is required to be registered.
However consult the insurance service provider and explain to him the details of the injury sustained by you and damage suffered to the vehicle. if he insists to you that you need to register a fir you can do that.
by the way let me inform you that you can claim compensation for the injuries suffered by you if you have paid for personal accident cover.

May you recover speedily.
Old 28th December 2010, 19:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

I don't think an FIR is required unless you have hurt someone other than yourself in the accident. I have had a nasty fall 8 years back but the insurance guys did not ask for an FIR. It is better to check with your insurance company though.

Get well soon!
Old 28th December 2010, 19:15   #11
BHPian

You dont need an FIR for sure. You can go ahead and claim insurance. There will not be any hassles.
Old 28th December 2010, 19:36   #12
BHPian

In most cases, you need not register an FIR for property damage(means motorcycle), if your bike is having comprehensive insurance(means 'full cover' insurance). But if the motorcycle has sustained extensive damage, it is safe to report to Police and they will enter it in their General diary as 'motor accident occurrence report' and will also prepare a vehicle mahzar. This is safe because, the insurance companies have an unhealthy and unjustifiable practice of rejecting big claims alleging flimsy grounds. But usually, the claim can be lodged through the authorised dealer and the insurance companies do not reject it. I am a lawyer and for any further help you can PM me( services absolutely free for fellow BHPians, ha, ha, ha
Old 28th December 2010, 19:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Actually when an injury is caused either to the rider or pillion rider or a third party and fir is required to be registered. However for claiming only damage to the vehicle no fir is required to be registered.
However consult the insurance service provider and explain to him the details of the injury sustained by you and damage suffered to the vehicle. if he insists to you that you need to register a fir you can do that.
by the way let me inform you that you can claim compensation for the injuries suffered by you if you have paid for personal accident cover.

May you recover speedily.
I am claiming the personal accident insurance from office, so I am hoping to get compensated from that.

Thanks all for your wishes.

Prajwal
Old 28th December 2010, 20:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

one requires an FIR only if you are claiming third party's insurance too. I.e. claiming damages of the other party injured in case of an accident, so in your case you do not need one.

Hope you recover to your pinkest at the earliest!
Old 28th December 2010, 20:36   #15
BHPian

FIR is not required unless if you have hurt someone bad! I had an accident like a month back on the highway with a truck and I claimed insurance without an FIR! btw it was on a car!

Get Well Soon!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks