Team-BHP - Insurance lapsed 5 months ago!!! Now what to do?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Indian Car Loans & Insurance (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/)
-   -   Insurance lapsed 5 months ago!!! Now what to do? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/99349-insurance-lapsed-5-months-ago-now-what-do.html)

Hi guys,

Yes you read it right! Its been 5 months and due to some personal reasons could not pay the premium. Now what are the liabilities and what should i do now?

Please help.

Thanks,
Ramki

Not much dude.

Just go to Policybazaar.com, and check out the lowest premium for your car, from various providers, and ask them to arrange for your insurance

It will not be a renewal case, and you also lose all your No Claim Bonuses, but there would be a Surveyor who would come and inspect your car, and then your new insurance would be issued.

As simple as that! Been there, done that.

Just get the new insurance policy as soon as possible. You can’t make any claim for the mentioned five month period. From next time make sure to get insurance renewed on time as its very risky in case of any unfortunate thing happens and moreover you can be fined by cops.

Take the vehicle to the nearest office of Oriental Insurance/United India or New India Insurance or the office of your existing insurer.

They'll inspect your vehicle, charge you some Rs. 200/250 for the inspection and issue a new policy. The policy will come into effect 24 hours after the date of issue. However, you'll lose all no claim bonuses.

I got my office scooter insured at New India Insurance recently, the insurance had expired 2 years ago. They charged me Rs. 50/- for inspection an issued me a new policy.

Cheers

KD

Just as others said the Insurance provider will now first inspect the car and take photographs for record before renewal of the Insurance. You cannot ask claims for the any previous damages including the current damage on the car.

Yes, no real issue. Just that your car will need physical inspection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kd7202 (Post 2308032)
.... The policy will come into effect 24 hours after the date of issue....

Nowadays, policy comes into effect the moment you pay the premium, and you get the cover note immediately.

Its illegal to drive on the roads without insurance. You should have at least taken a third party insurance as a temporary measure.

Try with reliance fresh. They ask the least questions and charge a minimal 3rd party service fee. They will get you onto good companies like Bajaj Allianz, who'll often not directly handle transfer renewal of expired insurances

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_libran (Post 2307707)
Not much dude.

Just go to Policybazaar.com, and check out the lowest premium for your car, from various providers, and ask them to arrange for your insurance

It will not be a renewal case, and you also lose all your No Claim Bonuses, but there would be a Surveyor who would come and inspect your car, and then your new insurance would be issued.

As simple as that! Been there, done that.

Thanks dude. Will try out the website.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 2308606)
Try with reliance fresh. They ask the least questions and charge a minimal 3rd party service fee. They will get you onto good companies like Bajaj Allianz, who'll often not directly handle transfer renewal of expired insurances

Reliance fresh!!! I see only fruits and vege inside them! Am i missing something?

Thanks,
Ramki

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramki067 (Post 2309632)

Reliance fresh!!! I see only fruits and vege inside them! Am i missing something?

Thanks,
Ramki

I bought insurance for my bike after a gap of 6 years.
No questions asked. Took around 10 mins in total.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 2309644)
I bought insurance for my bike after a gap of 6 years.
No questions asked. Took around 10 mins in total.

Was it "third party only" insurance?

For comprehensive insurance, they would usually get the vehicle surveyed to ensure:
  1. The said vehicle actually exists (I.e. someone is not getting it insured after theft)
  2. To list existing damages

I had gone to Reliance on my bike.
Third Party insurance was not even listed in the options.

Insurance Cost me Rs 889 with an IDV of 36k or so.
Included the Rs 90 as service charges.

EDIT: They stenciled my bikes chassis number on the insurance policy, which they retained.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 2309672)
For comprehensive insurance, they would usually get the vehicle surveyed to ensure:
  1. The said vehicle actually exists (I.e. someone is not getting it insured after theft)
  2. To list existing damages

Well, these are the norms, but I got comprehensive insurance without any of these questions, surveys, and my insurance too had been expired for 5 months as I was out of town.

Well, for more higher IDV's they will be surveying, even take pictures of the same - my car.

The insurance on my bike lapsed 6 months ago. Also, I had a crash in which I ended up breaking the front fender (mudguard). This happened when the bike was insured but I never claimed! stupid:

Now I wanted to take cover on the bike again.
1) Should I go for inspection 'after' I have replaced the front fender? Or is it ok to get it inspected even with broken fender. What do I lose?
2) The fender is not available with Hero Honda ( I have checked almost all dealers in Pune, no one has the colour I need). Can I buy a different coloured fender and get it spray painted. Will this create issues in insurance?

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 2308606)

Reviving an old thread. Does the Reliance Fresh on the service road of ORR between Marathahalli & Karthik Nagar have this insurance renewal desk? If not what is the best option in the Marathahalli/Indiranagar/Bellandur areas of Bangalore?

My sister-in-law has left her TVS Wego with me and has scooted off to Australia. Its insurance has expired a couple of years ago. (!!)