Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2015, 11:45   #151

Re: Plastic Covers on Seats of New Cars

I see no logic in buying a car, paying for the upholstery and keeping the polythene seat covers on. It just a waste of money to even pay for the upholstery and not enjoying the feel & drive.

When I do this and want to sell the car - I won't be satisfied.

I do not know of the health impacts of fuming polythene in a car when parked in the sun.

I hate the smell anyway.

The first thing I did 7 years ago with my new car - take off all plastic.
May be now is about time to replace the OEM and go for an art leather. I am happy I used the car well.

BTW - this is not just in India okay? I went to the Middle East recently and was shocked to see Arabs in swanky cars with polythene covers still on
I also hear we Indians taught them this
inddofr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:54   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
Leaving the plastic covers on for some days, like a max. of 2 weeks is understandable because of the new car feel. But anything beyond that, when the car itself starts looking old, does not make sense.

Let's get Real. If we don't use the seat fabrics, then what do we need them for?

It is like wearing cheap rags over your new suit, cos you don't want to it to get dirty!

Cell phones/TV Remotes need covers to protect them from Dust and moisture, which can ruin them. I think this is quite normal.

Anyway, its my personal opinion. If a guy wants to cover himself and all his assets in plastic, let him do it!
I see a lot of cars with the plastic seat covers intact. I believe that they should be removed for health reasons. The plastics are most likely polyethylene based and once they get heated up will emit cancer causing toxins inside a car. As we all know inside temperatures can be in excess of 50 deg Centigrade on a hot day. We have enough plastics inside the car that are already emitting toxins so why add even more by leaving unnecessary plastics in the car? So the argument I think is about preserving the new car feel vs one's health
Old 2nd March 2019, 14:46   #153
Senior - BHPian

I usually remove the covers and keep them in the boot to use when the car is sent for servicing. The upholstery has quite often been dirtied by mechanics in the SC so why not try and avoid that ? Atleast for the 2-3 services during the first year of ownership.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 14:57   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I usually remove the covers and keep them in the boot to use when the car is sent for servicing. The upholstery has quite often been dirtied by mechanics in the SC so why not try and avoid that ? Atleast for the 2-3 services during the first year of ownership.
This reminds me, MSIL has instructed all its workshops to actively use these products, and these have been launched as a part of MGP lineup.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 19:29   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
This reminds me, MSIL has instructed all its workshops to actively use these products, and these have been launched as a part of MGP lineup.
This is really good initiative, however it will be better if all OEMs instruct their technicians to clean their hands before working with interiors, particularly with light coloured trims/ upholstery. Gloves are not that effective as they are used multiple times and themselves get dirty.

I have suffered with this; my roof liner was spoiled with greased hands while working on front cabin light assembly. After I gave earful to the service manager it was cleaned, but still some marks remain. Not to say that I had to waste additional 1 hour waiting for cleaning.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 21:24   #156
Senior - BHPian

I do not understand this practice of keeping on the plastic covers! Some folks remove the ones from the front seat, keep the ones in the back seat for years!
Also, another thing I have noticed is that people do not remove the plastic covers off the sun blinds! And this is very common!

Although not the same, I noticed a car in my apartment where the person had not removed the ribbon ( on the hood ) that comes with a new car for nearly 2 years! Every time i notice this i would wonder as to why and how would someone would do this!

And these same folks would not care for the general cleanliness of the car! What irony, spend lakhs on a car and sit on plastic covers!
motorworks is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 19:15   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I do not understand this practice of keeping on the plastic covers..where the person had not removed the ribbon ( on the hood ) that comes with a new car for nearly 2 years! ..!
Well, a lot of folks believe that the car is considered 'new' by onlookers, as long as the original plastic covers are there on the seat (or the showroom ribbons)!

I've seen a case of a Mahindra owner keeping the original hood for around 10+ years, kept patching it on inside, emphasizing on keeping the 'original' stuff ! Though I am aware that cars with original fitments help fetch a little higher price in 2nd hand market, this was quite an extreme version !
Old 3rd March 2019, 23:09   #158
BANNED

Basically these kinds of acts can be distinguished into two,
1. Show off : People feel proud to let others know ‘I have achieved something very recently’. So they keep the ribbons on the bonnet to let other people know ‘this is my new car’.
2. Protection : People tend to protect the things which has considerable amount of investment. So they keep the seat plastic covers intact to protect their seat from getting soiled. ‘Enjoy your investment’ talks won’t make any impact on them.

Note: Most of us might be using the same old plates and glasses at home even though we have purchased a lot of special dinner sets. So it is a human behaviour. Some apply it everywhere, some don’t. Heck, vast majority of people apply tempered glass on their mobile phone touch screens (definitely not to make it beautiful).

Last edited by pavi : 3rd March 2019 at 23:12.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 11:06   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
2. Protection : People tend to protect the things which has considerable amount of investment. So they keep the seat plastic covers intact to protect their seat from getting soiled. ‘Enjoy your investment’ talks won’t make any impact on them.

OT: Unfortunately these are the same kind of people who buy a 2 Lakh rupee bike and a 500 Rs helmet.
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 14:02   #160
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
OT: Unfortunately these are the same kind of people who buy a 2 Lakh rupee bike and a 500 Rs helmet.
You missed the main point. People like to protect anything which has a considerable amount of investment, but life is something we got for free.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 14:11   #161
BHPian

I was once asked by someone while I was getting delivery of my Honda City. He was baffled that I told the SA to remove the plastics totally and he was the exact reverse. I told him that plastic is dangerous and these guys know to remove it properly. He responded by saying that the car will look old from day 1!
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 14:27   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
You missed the main point. People like to protect anything which has a considerable amount of investment, but life is something we got for free.

That was my point. A car seat has more value than life.
Old 5th March 2019, 09:56   #163
BHPian

Well! I know of someone who had ribbons and plastics covers added to the seats on a pre owned car only to prove a point to the neighbours and in-laws.

Me on the other hand ensures that they get rid of all the plastics and ribbons prior to delivery of the vehicle. I guess it's all just a state of mind.
Old 5th March 2019, 11:34   #164
BHPian

I removed mine as soon as I reached home. Like 5km. Cut off the bonnet ribbon once all the paperwork was through -- nuance of cops assuming that new vehicles should not be checked. You could call it superstitious, but 2018 was a year, I was harassed multiple times by cops. So did not want to take risks. Just hate talking to them.

Ironically the Creta's seat belt locks, also had plastic covers, which are held down with rubber bands. I was not able to reach them. Once the art leather was installed, these were too removed by the installers, when they gutted out the seats!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks