Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2007, 10:06   #1
BHPian

Why people dont remove the plastic covers

I have always been perplexed by people who buy a new car and keep the plastic covers on seats and other areas intact as long as possible. I wonder how do they sit on that while travelling or even driving. It makes all sort of noises and also you will slip on it. I think people are trying to protect their precious seats form getting "spoiled" too soon! I have one of my neighbor who bought a NHC about 2 months back. He got a 5 member family and drives it most of the time. But all the plastics are still intact ! It even had that ribbon on its hood for about 2-3 weeks till it started peeling off and hanging from the bonnet!

Please let me know any other crazy reasons for this attitude. When I bought my car recently, I had to specifically instruct the dealer that all signs of "newness" should be removed before delivery. Those guys were a bit surprised and told that most people dont wish to do that! Its ok for me to take snap with all of it intact in the showroom. But not beyond that.
Old 16th May 2007, 10:08   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Its just to prevent the seats from getting dirty soon .. From what I can guess .. Yes , it is uncomfortable to sit on them .. But I have seen people going to the extent of putting towels or a piece of cloth over the plastic covers to avoid this .. Its in our blood , and old habits die hard ..
Old 16th May 2007, 10:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

i usually come home and tear everything off
Old 16th May 2007, 10:20   #4
BHPian

People intend to sell it in "mint" condition rather than enjoying the ownership. I must say the fabric/leather in most of the recent cars is far better than what was available say 10 years ago. Old habits..
Old 16th May 2007, 10:29   #5
BHPian

i think its more the mental state which makes them feel of new car always...... but for me its very idoitic . i tooo believe person should remove all plastic cover. if you are a good care taker.... it will be always clean... i think one can maintain it even without plastic covers.
Old 16th May 2007, 10:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have seen a guy who had a Hyundai accent he keep his plastic sheet for about 4 year till he sold his car....I know they cannot survive for so long but I have seen them till then.....and the guy runs a financing business....
Old 16th May 2007, 10:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
he keep his plastic sheet for about 4 year till he sold his car....
Wow, that must atleast qualify for Limca Book of Records! I am sure he would have replaced the covers in the middle! Did he also got his whole car "laminated" ??!

Surprised to find that people buy cars to sell, not to use it fully. Especially when buying a vehicle can never be an investment, unless, probably, its a vintage model.
Old 16th May 2007, 10:57   #8

wow i am really suprised...ohk i agree i too kept the plastic covers of the siwft(expect the drivers)...for a few days...but not with the intention of resale and all..but only cauz ..the seats shouldnt get dirty untill i buy the seat covers within 2-3 days.....thats it..!
Old 16th May 2007, 11:01   #9

Because those plastic covers come with Car and they think they have paid for that and have every right to keep it there!
abcxyz07306 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2007, 11:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel View Post
People intend to sell it in "mint" condition rather than enjoying the ownership.
I've seen a person do this on a WagonR for 2.5 yrs for the same reason. He ultimately sold it to a relative at a good price.

There are other's who remove the plastic from all the seats, except the drivers seat - especially if they have a driver. Some perception that the driver would tend to dirty the seats more.
Old 16th May 2007, 11:13   #11
BHPian

Its done mostly to keep the seats clean and to have the feel of a brand new car, though it sucks big time !!
Old 16th May 2007, 11:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

The sheets on the visor are kept for the longest time I guess. Most people remove it when they get seat covers on. Well, people don't remove plastic from household electronic items also (or will buy some sheets to protect their dear items).
Old 16th May 2007, 11:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hmm,
clean seats -> aesthetic
plastic covers -> NOT aesthetic (in fact ugghhhhhly)
defies logic.
Possibly the resale option - but the condition of the seats would be the last thing that matters - maybe by a few thousands - to have to not derive the aesthetic/comfort/safety value out of the car for years for this is totally inexplicable.
Well, whatever...
Old 16th May 2007, 11:18   #14
Team-BHP Support

Besides the irritants like slippery surface and a constant "char char" sound that the plastics make a major problem is the way they make you sweat. Disgusting. I had to keep those plastics on for 3 days after I purchased the car as I could not go to the accessories dealer till then. Boy! Pain it was... The first thing I asked the guy was to remove the plastics and put on the seat covers.

IMO, most people cringe on the seat covers and try to keep the plastics on so that the seats do not get stained.
Old 16th May 2007, 11:23   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The sheets on the visor are kept for the longest time I guess. Most people remove it when they get seat covers on.
Do they?! Then I must be the callous one. You just made me realize that the plastic covers on my visor are still intact after 2 years Not for any other reason but the fact that it generally stays out of sight and till date never stuck me that the plastics covers on the visor are actually on. May be I will remove it now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks