Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2007, 17:25   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Its time Our govt makes ABS and Air bags compulsory (st least front ones if not curtains..)
It will only make cars more costlier... I can live without them and spend money elsewhere.
Old 6th January 2007, 18:49   #62
BHPian

Adds to safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
It will only make cars more costlier... I can live without them and spend money elsewhere.
Making them more expensive is agreed compared to existing prices, but they make cars much safer to drive too.
Old 6th January 2007, 18:52   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Making them more expensive is agreed compared to existing prices, but they make cars much safer to drive too.

Who cares... Air bags in Indian city traffic will not make a difference and not more than 10% of people drive on highway in india for what ever reasons.
Old 6th January 2007, 19:11   #64
Team-BHP Support

Airbags agreed may not be of too much importance. But ABS is. It should be made compulsory.

You'll come to know when you actually experience it. Airbags go a long way in saving your life.

Your trying to save a few thousand rupees at the cost of safety of your own life.
Old 6th January 2007, 19:27   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

Your trying to save a few thousand rupees at the cost of safety of your own life.

I think its much more than few thousands. I thnk each Airbag cost in octavia is 25k... I would prefer more equipped car instaed of spending 25k on airbag.
Old 6th January 2007, 19:38   #66
Team-BHP Support

I was referring to the ABS and not the airbags.

Anyways The car looks pretty good. I saw quite a few in singapore. It's not called the elantra there but the Avante. It's sold with a petrol 1.6VTVT engine there.

The competition there is the Corolla, Nissan Sunny, Cedia, Civic.
Old 6th January 2007, 19:39   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I was referring to the ABS and not the airbags.

Anyways The car looks pretty good. I saw quite a few in singapore. It's not called the elantra there but the Avante. It's sold with a petrol 1.6VTVT engine there.

The competition there is the Corolla, Nissan Sunny, Cedia, Civic.
Any idea when are they launching in India...
Old 6th January 2007, 19:52   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If they can launch it at the price of the current elantra, it will be a winner here too.
Somehow, I dont think so. What about the Sonata? It is a wonderful car. We are too class conscious ....
Old 6th January 2007, 19:58   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Somehow, I dont think so. What about the Sonata? It is a wonderful car. We are too class conscious ....
Elantra cost around 10L and Sonata Diesel will surely cost more than 18-19L... So sonata cannot be Elanta's alternative.
Old 6th January 2007, 20:02   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post

The Verna CRDi would make a much more VFM buy compared to the City iDSi... But it still cant match the city's sales.. That too, in that price conscious segment...

Why??? For brand concious indians... Honda is honda, and hyundai is hyundai...
Old 6th January 2007, 20:03   #71
Team-BHP Support

I guess the elantra will be priced the same as the current elantra when launched around 12lakhs.

they may try to sell both together for a short while like the accent. The accent is now built to order same case may happen.
Old 7th January 2007, 20:27   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Elantra cost around 10L and Sonata Diesel will surely cost more than 18-19L... So sonata cannot be Elanta's alternative.
Err ... that is not what I meant. Crazy_Driver got it right ....
Old 8th January 2007, 21:55   #73
BHPian

Went to Hyundai showroom to find when is new Elantra coming and they say it will be in showroom by March. Old Elantra has already stopped and they dont have stock of it...
Old 9th January 2007, 00:27   #74
Senior - BHPian

Where is all this going to slot in? Already the price differential between the Verna and the existing Elantra isnt much.

The Elantra CRDi comes with the 2 litre motor which pumps out some 140 bhp. But HMIL have been telling us that the Sonata diesel will come with a 2 litre motor....2 cars with the same motor? If the new Elantra comes out at about 12 lakhs, it will be eating into Sonata territory.

Somewhere, HMIL has lost the art of pricing things right. The Verna should logically take the old Accent's price point, the new Elantra should take the current Elantra's current price point and the Sonata should remain where it is now (about 11.75). I think they need to look at their portfolio as a whole and clear the confusion.

Last edited by Steeroid : 9th January 2007 at 00:29.
Old 9th January 2007, 00:34   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Who cares... Air bags in Indian city traffic will not make a difference and not more than 10% of people drive on highway in india for what ever reasons.
Who cares??? I do!

My friend, you have obviously not been in a major accident or lost someone close in one... You are talking about 10% of the people driving on Indian highways which will be a big number. If one human life could be saved from my money spent on ABS/Airbags etc I would gladly spend it...

Please get off your high horse and gain some respect for human life. If this comes off as rude, its only because of the irresponsible statements you made.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks