Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 11:27   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz F/L with 1.5 coming by June end

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
+1 to that, the topic here is the expectations for the 1.5 lump to be launched by Honda, and not a comparo between the Jazz and other vehicles.
IMHO, the 1.5 lump will truly complete what is a great automobile. At times I do feel that the 1.2 is a bit underpowered, especially on steep inclines with 5 adults and a 50% full boot. But then the only other car I drive is a Nano on city roads with 1 adult and 1 child. I am sure the 1.5 would be such a hoot on the same incline. It does seem like it may be postponed due to a cut in production from Honda
The Jazz has a service scheduled this Tuesday so will try to snoop around and ask a few questions

e
@selfdrive, yes it feels underpowered if the rpm is low. On steep inclines with the car loaded, downshift and keep the rpm > 3K and you will be fine.
The 1.5 will be more powerful no doubt but has the same characterisitcs in terms of low-end torque.
For all Honda Vtecs, downshifting is required to feel the power.

I am very interested in figuring out how Honda positions the new 1.5 jazz and if they shuffle the variants.
Old 28th April 2011, 11:47   #107
Senior - BHPian

@adimicra
Quote:
Interested to know, which official TBHP reviewer said so? The K12 Swift has a better low end torque but in terms of refinement and rev-happiness, no hatchback matches the 1.2 VTEC of the Jazz!

I wonder have you ever driven the car you are commenting about.
I think somebody has pointed this out on earlier threads as well, but you have to stop supporting Jazz blindly. I have know own the car have tremendous passion for it but supporting it against all odds destroys the spirit of the forum.

For e.g. I believe that Jazz is clearly overpriced by 1.5 lacs. So did the mods, but you have quoted earlier that it is overpriced by a lac or whatever. I think that Jazz@5.5 lacs ex showroom Delhi for the base version is the best 'hatchback' but at 7.xx ex showroom, you gotta be kidding me.

Also, I have driven the K series Swift as well as Jazz. There is nothing better about the Jazz engine that sets it apart from K series. So, I'd rate them equal on most parameters. However, when you look at engines with price in context, there is nothing to beat K-series. Wait for the 1.2 K-series VVT, 94ps, if they bring it in 'new' Swift. It will be the best small petrol engine to grace the country so far.
Old 28th April 2011, 11:53   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
@adimicra

I think somebody has pointed this out on earlier threads as well, but you have to stop supporting Jazz blindly. I have know own the car have tremendous passion for it but supporting it against all odds destroys the spirit of the forum.

For e.g. I believe that Jazz is clearly overpriced by 1.5 lacs. So did the mods, but you have quoted earlier that it is overpriced by a lac or whatever. I think that Jazz@5.5 lacs ex showroom Delhi for the base version is the best 'hatchback' but at 7.xx ex showroom, you gotta be kidding me.

Also, I have driven the K series Swift as well as Jazz. There is nothing better about the Jazz engine that sets it apart from K series. So, I'd rate them equal on most parameters. However, when you look at engines with price in context, there is nothing to beat K-series. Wait for the 1.2 K-series VVT, 94ps, if they bring it in 'new' Swift. It will be the best small petrol engine to grace the country so far.
Let's stop it by saying to each his own.
And don't get personal dude! You attack my comment objectively, but not me! And no gyan pls! Get it.
And if any mod feels I have done something wrong, they will let me know - I know they watch all the threads!

I will support some cars which I like and I don't think it is against the spirit of the forum if I give the reasons behind it.
The number of 'blind' haters of Jazz far outnumber the number of supporters. So, we need some balance I guess!
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 12:16   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let's stop it by saying to each his own.
And don't get personal dude! You attack my comment objectively, but not me! And no gyan pls! Get it.
I am not getting personal. The thing that I want to point out is that once you start supporting a certain thing blindly, it takes the objectivity away from the conversation. And I only commented on a trend that I have observed. trust me friend, I have no personal interest in maligning you in any which way

Anyway, I don't want to drag the topic unnecessarily. Let's just say that the Jazz is a brilliant car let down by 'atrocious pricing'. And I, of all people, may eventually pay a premium for some car some day ( a sedan in D segment that I am targeting), if I think it worth it. I don't have any issue with paying a 'little' more than what a car deserves. if I think that it is so much superior to all other cars in that bracket. However, its very difficult to see that happening in the hatchback segment. It is way too price sensitive. It will be hilarious to see if Honda decided to shoot itself on the other foot (one foot already injured by Jazz pricing) and prices Brio with a 'premium pricing'.

Honda is no BMW, the sooner it realizes it, the better it is.

PS: I like quite a few Honda cars. Notably CIVIC and JAZZ. So, I am clearly not Honda basher. In fact, I like Honda cars infinitely better than Toyota cars.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 28th April 2011 at 12:19.
Old 28th April 2011, 12:26   #110
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I think we need to close the arguments on this topic now.

As for the rpm part, this is exactly what I did on the next steep incline I got and it was ok. for me the surprising part was that it behaved quite similar to the city (this may not be surprising to others, but I expect some leeway as it is the first Honda I have owned and only the second I have driven after the City!). I also forgot that she did not need a run in and I was free to rock with the rpm

Any update on where I can find all the nitty gritties? Or something close to a manual? Maybe I should just sit in the car for an hour and play with all the controls to see what happens!
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 14:14   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not getting personal. The thing that I want to point out is that once you start supporting a certain thing blindly, it takes the objectivity away from the conversation. .
I agree with the point about suporting something blindly does not make sense. I have been very objective in all my comments and so has been others like 'suhaas' who have been supporting Jazz! My reasons may not make sense to you and that's fine. But that does not make me 'blind'.
Who knows who got a better eyesight? Am I calling you 'blind' because you fail to see my reasons and the value being offered by Jazz? I am not!

So, shall we leave it (the eyesight thing) at that and get on with Jazz?

Last edited by adimicra : 28th April 2011 at 14:15.
Old 28th April 2011, 15:14   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with the point about suporting something blindly does not make sense. I have been very objective in all my comments and so has been others like 'suhaas' who have been supporting Jazz! My reasons may not make sense to you and that's fine. But that does not make me 'blind'.
Who knows who got a better eyesight? Am I calling you 'blind' because you fail to see my reasons and the value being offered by Jazz? I am not!
I do not wish to make this bickering session and this will be my last post on this. You love Jazz and look set to justify it by going an extra mile. Whatever! Let's leave this aside, once and for all
BTW, look at me comment when I say that I like both Civic as well as Jazz. In fact, I think Jazz is a better overall car than ANHC. Just that it is not worth the price. I would have bought one@5.5 lacs ex showroom on day one, even if I don't need one.

I think it's an opportunity for a 'relatively rigid' company like Honda to make a correction in price. Its hows the flexibility and drive to change things when something is not going right. Reposition this at lower price and watch it flow of the shelf. I see a lot of value in Jazz priced at 50k-1 lac more than a similarly specced rival car. If they really are looking to add the 1.5 L engine and not reduce the price (or even increase it), the least they should do is to stop the 1.2 L one. Price this at the current 1.2 levels.

As I said earlier, Jazz is not 'Mini', where brand value is very important. Its just a fantastic hatch destroyed by the price.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 28th April 2011 at 15:21.
Old 28th April 2011, 15:25   #113
Senior - BHPian

In the interests of my peace of mind (and that of some others ), can anyone confirm if the Jazz 1.5 motor is only a petrol one or is there a diesel option anywhere in the world at all?

Also, does anyone know if there are any different versions of the Jazz sold in other countries? For example, the SX4 has a 4x4 (I read this somewhere, so dont lynch me if I am wrong!) and a hatchback version sold elsewhere in the world. Just trying to see if the 1.5 motor will be in the same body or perhaps positioned in a different segment, something like a MPV/ mini SUV
Old 28th April 2011, 15:44   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I do not wish to make this bickering session and this will be my last post on this. You love Jazz and look set to justify it by going an extra mile. Whatever! Let's leave this aside, once and for all
BTW, look at me comment when I say that I like both Civic as well as Jazz. In fact, I think Jazz is a better overall car than ANHC. Just that it is not worth the price. I would have bought one@5.5 lacs ex showroom on day one, even if I don't need one.

I think it's an opportunity for a 'relatively rigid' company like Honda to make a correction in price. Its hows the flexibility and drive to change things when something is not going right. Reposition this at lower price and watch it flow of the shelf. I see a lot of value in Jazz priced at 50k-1 lac more than a similarly specced rival car. If they really are looking to add the 1.5 L engine and not reduce the price (or even increase it), the least they should do is to stop the 1.2 L one. Price this at the current 1.2 levels.

As I said earlier, Jazz is not 'Mini', where brand value is very important. Its just a fantastic hatch destroyed by the price.
I'm not sure if you know this, but the Jazz retails at just a little less money than the Civic, everywhere else in the World. And I'm talking about Europe and the UK and all South-East-Asian markets. It is pricier than cars like the Micra that fall in its range in those markets.

And yet, it manages to outsell the Micra by a long shot, and even sell 3 times more than the Civic, despite being just a slight notch below the Civic.

In India, people believe that hatchbacks should be cheaper than sedans. There is no two-ways about it. And that's a rather sad way of looking at it. Yes, it could have been perhaps 50k lesser, or maybe even a lakh.

But what is really killing the sales of the Jazz is not its price. It's the attitude of the general car-buying public towards it and their perception of hatchbacks on the whole. So don't blame Honda for pricing it 'exorbitantly' as some of you'll have put it. If that's really the case, then why isn't it a failure in other markets?

The Jazz was never meant to be cheaper than the City, but Honda has realized that pricing a hatch below its sedan counterpart is what's necessary. And they have done exactly that. The price difference is a whole lakh! It is a City without a boot, or should I say, that the City is a Jazz with a boot, and one-lakh off it.

Change your attitude and try looking it the car with a different perspective, and then it might start making sense.

EDIT:

Quote:
In the interests of my peace of mind (and that of some others ), can anyone confirm if the Jazz 1.5 motor is only a petrol one or is there a diesel option anywhere in the world at all?
From what I know, there is no diesel mill doing duty in the Jazz anywhere in the World. The CR-V is one Honda that does have a diesel option; and if I remember correctly, the Accord also is available with the same diesel engine.

Quote:
Also, does anyone know if there are any different versions of the Jazz sold in other countries? Just trying to see if the 1.5 motor will be in the same body or perhaps positioned in a different segment, something like a MPV/ mini SUV
There is going to be a Hybrid version of the Jazz. Right now, it's available with 3 engine options. The 1.2, the 1.3 and the 1.5; In markets like the US, only the 1.5 is available, and I'm guessing that the Hybrid version will join the bandwagon shortly. It is positioned as a super-mini, and not a mini-MPV, although it is referred to as a mini-MPV for its versatility.

Quote:
For example, the SX4 has a 4x4 (I read this somewhere, so dont lynch me if I am wrong!) and a hatchback version sold elsewhere in the world.
Off topic!

It's true. The SX4 is sold as a hatch in several countries. It comes with 4-wheel-drive and body-cladding just like a SUV. It's considered to be a mini-crossover/SUV. In fact, the SX4 is re-badged and sold as the Fiat Sedici, albeit, with slightly different body-panels to ensure that it keeps Fiat's design language.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th April 2011 at 15:54.
Old 28th April 2011, 16:30   #115
BHPian

The Jazz isnt a looker and to most of us looks in the league of Micra and Swift. It doesnt matter how well it is accepted in Europe or other parts. I have seen a lot of practical Estate type cars in Japan while you hardly find takers for them in India. We have some individual preferences and (dis)tastes

I am pretty sure if it had the looks like a Punto or a Polo and coupled with a 50K decrease in price, would have been on a different plane. They are hell bent on sealing its fate for the worst.

Infact they should stop Jazz in a couple of years and position Brio as a volumes car and concentrate more on that segment.

I fore see Honda might have a tough time going forward in all segments.
Old 28th April 2011, 16:41   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'm not sure if you know this, but the Jazz retails at just a little less money than the Civic, everywhere else in the World. And I'm talking about Europe and the UK and all South-East-Asian markets. It is pricier than cars like the Micra that fall in its range in those markets.

And yet, it manages to outsell the Micra by a long shot, and even sell 3 times more than the Civic, despite being just a slight notch below the Civic.
We are on team-bhp here. So the key ingredient is the engine. What are the engine options available there? BTW, does Civic sell in both versions in these countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
But what is really killing the sales of the Jazz is not its price. It's the attitude of the general car-buying public towards it and their perception of hatchbacks on the whole. So don't blame Honda for pricing it 'exorbitantly' as some of you'll have put it. If that's really the case, then why isn't it a failure in other markets?

The Jazz was never meant to be cheaper than the City, but Honda has realized that pricing a hatch below its sedan counterpart is what's necessary. And they have done exactly that. The price difference is a whole lakh! It is a City without a boot, or should I say, that the City is a Jazz with a boot, and one-lakh off it.

Change your attitude and try looking it the car with a different perspective, and then it might start making sense.
Again key ingredient engine and I am guessing not just us bhpians but more -
it's a lakh less sure but it has a 1.2L engine. That's the sore point. If it had a 1.5L (and maybe a slight price increase), I am sure it would have done much better than what it's done till date. Heck! I would have definitely considered it.

And please stop making statements like "change your attitude....". You bought it, you love it. Full stop. I don't (not with a 1.2L). Market doesn't. Full stop.

PS: I might look to buy a good 1.2L one in 2nd hand market but not new.

Last edited by asr245 : 28th April 2011 at 16:45.
Old 28th April 2011, 16:42   #117
Senior - BHPian

@suhaas
Quote:
I understand what you are talking about and appreciate the QUALITY Jazz brings to the table. Thats why I said I like the car, along with Civic. I think that Jazz is better than ANHC in every way possible, sans the smaller engine. Having said that, in the Indian context, this doesn't work. People prefer sedan over hatchbacks, no arguments.

So in the Indian context, the car is over priced. How could they have made it cheaper?

For base model:
1. By taking out ABS and Airbags.
2. By taking out 'Magic seats'.
3. By not giving fitted stereo.

remember, base isn't usually the hottest selling model, its the mid variant. This would have at least kept the psychological barrier of 'starting price' down to 5.5 lacs. This should have knocked down prices by 1 lac or so anyway. Add another 50 K for the lower margins that Honda should have looked to make anyway

Had despite all this, they were to discover that they still cannot prices it at 5.5 (6 max), then they should have avoided bringing it to the market anyway. Its a brilliant product unnecessarily deemed as 'flop' in the market.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 28th April 2011 at 16:48.
Old 28th April 2011, 17:03   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
We are on team-bhp here. So the key ingredient is the engine. What are the engine options available there? BTW, does Civic sell in both versions in these countries?
I have mentioned it in my earlier post. The Jazz is available across the globe with 3 engine options. The 1.2, the 1.3 and the 1.5; of course, the 1.5 is the only engine option available in the US market.

I do not understand. What do you mean by the Civic selling in both versions? Oh and if the topic is about engines, I must mention that the Civic is available with a wide variety of options in terms of engines, for example, the 1.6(?), the 1.8, the 2.0, the 2.2 and the 2.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Again key ingredient engine and I am guessing not just us bhpians but more -
it's a lakh less sure but it has a 1.2L engine. That's the sore point. If it had a 1.5L (and maybe a slight price increase), I am sure it would have done much better than what it's done till date. Heck! I would have definitely considered it.

And please stop making statements like "change your attitude....". You bought it, you love it. Full stop. I don't (not with a 1.2L). Market doesn't. Full stop.

PS: I might look to buy a good 1.2L one in 2nd hand market but not new.
To be very honest with you, the 1.2 isn't very different from the 1.5. The power hike is a little more than psychological. Yes, yo do feel the difference, but it isn't a big difference at all, or even a difference worth talking about really. The 1.2 lump in the Jazz ensures that it keeps up with the 1.5 City on the highways. It's quite good in the city too. Beyond 3k RPM, it absolutely flies and it's hard to believe how it does that.

The only problem with it is the lack of bottom-end torque. It fails to pull off the line quickly. But then that's how Honda's tune their engines in the first place. You'd find the same characteristics not only in the 1.5 City, but also in the Civic. Hondas love to be revved!

The only reason why Honda is replacing the 1.2 with the 1.5 is to avoid confusion among customers when the Brio comes to the party with the same heart. They want to create a clear distinction between the two cars.

Oh, and I'm sorry if my tone was a bit harsh. No offense meant at all.

Quote:

For base model:
1. By taking out ABS and Airbags.
2. By taking out 'Magic seats'.
3. By not giving fitted stereo.

remember, base isn't usually the hottest selling model, its the mid variant. This would have at least kept the psychological barrier of 'starting price' down to 5.5 lacs. This should have knocked down prices by 1 lac or so anyway. Add another 50 K for the lower margins that Honda should have looked to make anyway

Had despite all this, they were to discover that they still cannot prices it at 5.5 (6 max), then they should have avoided bringing it to the market anyway. Its a brilliant product unnecessarily deemed as 'flop' in the market.
I, for one, am happy Honda hasn't resorted to such tactics to keep the price down. The last thing a real enthusiast would like to see is the essential features being lobbed off the options list.

These sort of gimmicks work in India, and I'm saddened by it. Look at Maruti for instance. Even now, the diesel Ritz and the diesel Swift don't come with airbags or ABS, even as an option on the top-end variant.

I agree with everything else you've said.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th April 2011 at 17:07.
Old 28th April 2011, 17:07   #119
Senior - BHPian

At the end of the day, I dont think anyone questions the quality of the product on offer. The pricing is a bit questionable certainly, but that is applicable not only to the Jazz but to the city as well. I do not know much about the trims of the Civic/ Accord and the trims/ prices of the competition, so will stop short of tarring the entire Honda pricing strategy with the same brush.

For me, it is a boon that ABS and airbags are standard on the base model. I am of the opinion that these should be made mandatory for all vehicles in India. Steering controls/ bluetooth connectivity etc is not going to save anyone's life.

Can we now discuss what Honda can do to improve/ fine tune the product apart from the pricing strategy? While I am sure that Honda may not pick up this up but then with the same yardstick they may not pick up the banter about the pricing either (and they know they went a bit north with that!)
Perhaps they could offer a center armrest in the rear seat. also, is there usually a lock on the petrol inlet in other cars? is there anything else that could be offered in the 1.5 that is of more utility but has been missed out?

Last edited by selfdrive : 28th April 2011 at 17:08.
Old 28th April 2011, 17:22   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
At the end of the day, I dont think anyone questions the quality of the product on offer. The pricing is a bit questionable certainly, but that is applicable not only to the Jazz but to the city as well. I do not know much about the trims of the Civic/ Accord and the trims/ prices of the competition, so will stop short of tarring the entire Honda pricing strategy with the same brush.

For me, it is a boon that ABS and airbags are standard on the base model. I am of the opinion that these should be made mandatory for all vehicles in India. Steering controls/ bluetooth connectivity etc is not going to save anyone's life.
Precisely.

I'm glad Honda are sticking to the basics. Producing and selling a car that is technically sound, extremely well engineered, well designed and most importantly, safe. Other companies should learn from Honda. Safety cannot be compromised.

Quote:
Can we now discuss what Honda can do to improve/ fine tune the product apart from the pricing strategy? While I am sure that Honda may not pick up this up but then with the same yardstick they may not pick up the banter about the pricing either (and they know they went a bit north with that!)
Does anyone think that they could offer maybe something like a center armrest in the rear seat? also, is there usually a lock on the petrol inlet in other cars? is there anything else that could be offered in the 1.5 that is of more utility but has been missed out?
Definitely!

I would say the following are the improvements that they could make, and of course, a few extra things they could consider adding to the brew:
  • An automatic transmission complete with paddle-shifts (from the City). This should ideally make the Jazz a complete package.
  • A more comfortable rear-bench. This might be too much to ask as the magic-seats would be compromised. But I'm sure they could make a few minor adjustments and improvements in order to make the rear bench more comfortable.
  • Automatic climate-control was given a miss. Perhaps they could include it, along with auto-fold electric ORVMs.
  • A more supportive dead-pedal.
  • The rear parcel-tray was not available, even as an option, when we purchased our car. I think it was available as an option on later variants. They could include it in the standard equipment list. A boot light could be added for good measure too.
I don't think any other changes are necessary. And of course, a price-cut to make the Jazz more inviting.

EDIT: a central-armrest for the rear passengers may not be possible. The magic-seats will have to be compromised for that. Maybe they could offer the magic-seats as an option at no extra cost. Or maybe at a small price. But knowing Honda, no accessory is cheap.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th April 2011 at 17:24.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed