Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2011, 10:39   #196
BHPian

Re: Should a few of us stop owning cars?!

Instead of not buying cars, emphasis should be on developing infrastructure & having 'Space saving parking systems'.
Lot of countries have adopted Vertical parking lifts & the same is also available in India. These are space saving & the cost of parking is also less. These systems are installed at Mumbai, Bangalore, Pune & many other cities.
Old 10th May 2011, 11:51   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
it is called jaywalking and is a misdemeanor in several places if I'm not wrong (legally inclined guys please correct me.)
Jaywalking is a punishable offence even in India. Have seen bangalore Traffic police implement this rule and fine pedestrians Rs.50 a decade back. Guess everbody has forgotten this rule now.

Last edited by Daewood : 10th May 2011 at 11:53.
Old 10th May 2011, 13:03   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
On my second day in the US, I went walking. Less than 50 meters into a freeway, realized something was wrong. Turned around. Cop picked me up and dropped me back at the hotel. Its illegal and you can be arrested for it.
Anyways I only received a warning and got to sit in a cop car, front seat.
Well, at least you got a ride for that!

Reminds me of an incident last year when I was cycling to work in Paris on a new route. Just before crossing the Seine there was a board indicating the direction for cyclists. I followed the directions accordingly and ended up on the road of a high speed bridge. All other cyclists were on the pavement and some of them waved at me (must be thinking what a moron!). Now the problem was there was a diversion for cyclists that allowed them to go the pavement using another route (some work in progress), but someone had changed the direction of the indicator board, perhaps in jest.

So there I was huffing and puffing away to keep ahead of traffic. I could not stop and get on the pavement (around 8 inches higher than the road) as the cars were zooming past around 60. and I want brave enough to jump the front wheel and get on the pavement as vehicles around me were quite fast too. I guess it is the fastest I have ever ridden a bicycle I always stopped at diversions to verify after that.
Old 11th May 2011, 04:08   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I am sure a lot of us will stop using cars once alternatives are available, many people don't like driving or dealing with traffic and will shift given the first alternative however unlikely to find such folks here, this is a forum for auto-enthusiasts so the response here will is unlikely to be a fair reflection of the general population with the bias towards the slightest excuse to keep using cars.

I am sure for a large majority of folks here cars are more than just a way to get from a to b, which is why we are here, and its nothing to feel guilty about, many folks are interested in other things, a lot of folks are interested in automobiles but will always be a minority.

I know of four people at work who have cars, two of them love to drive, BUT they don't come by their cars, thanks to Hyderabad's rough traffic.

Also there are a number of people in my team who use buses (and even shared autos) and don't buy even two wheelers for this reason ! in fact they would be better off (and I have told some of them this) on a bike than on the overloaded shared-auto.
Old 11th May 2011, 14:14   #200
BHPian

Yes, I think this thread pretty much reflects the thoughts of a car loving person who follows the rules and decorum on the streets while driving and (maybe subconsciously) expects others to do the same and in the bargain gets frustrated.

Last night i was talking with the better half that as much i love driving and love my car, I am seriously considering buying a easy to ride bike which will take me from point A(home) to point B(my clinic) in a quick, efficient and cheapest possible way. The answer was to buy a 100cc bike (thinking of a Bajaj Discover 100) giving a good mileage, put on a good helmet, jacket, gloves and cruise to the clinic. I always have my car for when i have to go out with family or during rains etc.

Although in my city i.e. Nasik the traffic quantity is still not as loaded as pune but the driving and bike riding etiquette are non existent. Especially among the 16-25 age group, these folks have these 200cc bikes which zoom and they ride it like the end of the world and are actually proud of breaking rules and doing what we call 'cut deneka' that is going past someone dangerously close. cars are no different, its just a vulgar display of power and a obscene competition as to who can break more rules and annoy and bully maximum people on the road.

I remember when i first started venturing out on 2-wheelers back in '96-'97 we use to be terrified of signals and getting caught by cops, and yes we were too. also triple seat riding was a complete no-no and you would invariably get caught and levied a fine or maybe a bribe-fine. but these days no one is bothered, cops just keep looking at people who jump a red light and that too with triple seats.

Anyways i see no hope and things are slated to get worse in the future, so its best that we civilly adapt to the situation by looking for other alternatives.
Old 11th May 2011, 16:09   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprico4 View Post

Although in my city i.e. Nasik the traffic quantity is still not as loaded as pune but the driving and bike riding etiquette are non existent. Especially among the 16-25 age group, these folks have these 200cc bikes which zoom and they ride it like the end of the world and are actually proud of breaking rules and doing what we call 'cut deneka' that is going past someone dangerously close. cars are no different, its just a vulgar display of power and a obscene competition as to who can break more rules and annoy and bully maximum people on the road.
+1 to that.

In bangalore the situation is pathetic. I've seen two wheeler riders argue "I drive like this only, you have a car and you should be careful". ATROCIOUS!! They think traffic rules apply only to 4 wheelers and 6 wheelers. Courtesy for fellow road users is lost and probably we are wrong expecting it from others.
Old 11th May 2011, 18:20   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
+1 to that.

In bangalore the situation is pathetic. I've seen two wheeler riders argue "I drive like this only, you have a car and you should be careful". ATROCIOUS!! They think traffic rules apply only to 4 wheelers and 6 wheelers. Courtesy for fellow road users is lost and probably we are wrong expecting it from others.

carry something with you and beat them up when they do that - then tell them "I beat like this only, you have a body make it more pain resistant"
vina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 18:47   #203
Senior - BHPian

Parking is a serious issue, both at home and at work for a lot of people. In my previous organization, the parking used to be limited and everyday I would just have to rush early in the morning just for parking space. I ended up parking out on the road and it was a disaster! Scratches, dents and what not! Luckily I have now switched to a better organization and one of the things I'm relieved for is the ample parking space. Coming back to the point of owning cars or using alternate ways of commuting, I have to say that it depends on where you live. We have 2 cars at home and due to the large apartment complex we live in, we some how manage the 2nd car parking. I'm even prepared to shell out Rs.300--500 every month for the 2nd car's parking if required. There is absolutely no other possible way of commuting for us in Whitefield, bangalore. The autos are too expensive, and too unreliable. And 2 wheelers are not safe at times. So it depends, if you can manage, then owning a car { and parking} should not be a major hassle.
Old 15th May 2011, 07:43   #204
BHPian

After petrol price hike, some people may think to 'stop owning cars' crude oil price may top $150 again. so expect another Rs 10-15 hike within 1 year.
Old 15th May 2011, 11:57   #205
BHPian

I believe we should. But wait a minute, why should I? I cannot, should not, walk for a kilometer in the May sun, just to reach a shared auto stop and then change 3 shared autos to reach office. What do I do when my city does not have autos that run on meters? What do I do when the government thinks that building metros and plying low-floor alternate fuel city buses are the panacea to the common man's problems and the solution to pollution?

All of us are aware of the problems in the public transportation system or the lack thereof in India. But what I feel is a greater problem in our country is the problem of the last mile commute.

I have lived in a couple of major cities and each has its own peculiar transportation problem. In Bangalore, it isn't the lack of public transport, but the abundance of it. Bangalore is packed to its seams with city buses, but the roads are so narrow and congested that these buses are more of a nuisance than transportation solution. Still taking a bus would've made sense, if it wasn't for those pesky autorickshaw-wallas. Bangalore autowallas are the greediest, rowdiest and laziest in the planet (second only to their Chennai brethren, I guess). Haggling with them is such a mentally draining experience that, you would much rather use your own vehicle.

In Gurgaon, its an altogether different story. This so-called city has nothing! There are four major modes of public transport here:
1) The shared autos (they seat from two to ten and ply on a national highway throwing all caution to the wind)
2) The 'chartered' autos. I have never personally used it, but they are urban legends of sorts in the fares they charge. On the same note, a very noble thing that was done by the administration was to introduce autos exclusively for women. However, like all noble ideas in this country, it has failed to boost the city's image, because the other autos bully these pink autos and do not allow then to share the same stands or 'ply in the same route.'
3)Cycle rickshaws. Good for short hops around wherever you are. However, on a longer ride you start having guilt pangs at being a perpetrator of underpaid labor. They are very slow too.
4)City buses. There are two kinds. Big shiny ones (red and green) ply between Gurgaon and Delhi, and battered 'minibuses' for intracity travel.

Now the beauty of things in this city is the fact that you cannot go from point A to point B, using exactly one of the four mentioned modes of communication! (some exaggeration, not much)

Should I still stop owning cars? No sir! Not atleast in a couple of years to come.

Last edited by Gooney : 15th May 2011 at 12:10.
Old 15th May 2011, 12:15   #206
BHPian

I forgot to add in the previous post that my ideal city is Bombay, where the autos charge you by the meter and would oblige even when you have to go 500 meters and the local train cover most of the city. For that matter, I like how things are back home in Guwahati. We have plenty of city buses (a tad too many like Bangalore) for the arterial routes, and for other routes you can opt for HM Trekkers, auto rickshaws or cycle rickshaws.
Old 15th May 2011, 12:43   #207
Senior - BHPian

I think it should also be a question of not not owning a car but using it only when it is absolutely necessary.

Also, it is not about our right to use modes of personal transport, which we are guaranteed by constitution and the section of economy which revolves around motor field.

Also, avoiding pollution doesn't mean we should travel with windows rolled up and AC on On.

It is something else we must have in ourselves to cut back in every practical and conceivable manner the pollution which we so passionately talk about while sitting in the comfort of our air conditioned homes and offices.
Old 15th May 2011, 19:51   #208
BHPian

Windows down and AC is the logic which is a requirement for me and my wife. We are heavily allergic to dust and pollution and minute exposure can end us in doctor's clinic. And being in bangalore my problem has worsened.

I always want to cycle to office or using 2-wheelers, but things does not work out due to dust and pollens in bangalore.
The office cab(open windows, non AC), volvo etc. everything does not help since I have to walk to and fro home-busstop-office.

And car pooling though sounds good, but for a software profs working in global schedules and ad-hoc meetings, it is impossible to pool. We tried that pilot project in the office and badly failed.

So the problem of Bangalore is different as compared to other cities due to uncommon working hours and high affordability to purchase cars by any average person.
Old 15th May 2011, 20:34   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
Windows down and AC is the logic which is a requirement for me and my wife. We are heavily allergic to dust and pollution and minute exposure can end us in doctor's clinic. And being in bangalore my problem has worsened.

I always want to cycle to office or using 2-wheelers, but things does not work out due to dust and pollens in bangalore.
The office cab(open windows, non AC), volvo etc. everything does not help since I have to walk to and fro home-busstop-office.

And car pooling though sounds good, but for a software profs working in global schedules and ad-hoc meetings, it is impossible to pool. We tried that pilot project in the office and badly failed.

So the problem of Bangalore is different as compared to other cities due to uncommon working hours and high affordability to purchase cars by any average person.
Your's are special circumstances and I guess you are better off with a car than without. I have known people in Bangalore (including children) with bad allergies, and some moved out to different cities due to this very reason.

On the car pooling part : for many it doesn't work, but for quite a few it does. However for the guys the car pooling thing works, so do office buses and many already use those as a result.
Old 15th May 2011, 23:47   #210
Team-BHP Support

Having stayed in Gurgaon, I'd like to see how other folks from there react. It'll be something like this

Knowing the beautiful Volvo/BMTC network in B'lore, it is simply impossible to imagine how it is in Gurgaon.

1) There is NOTHING such as a City Corporation Bus service
2) There are NO autos (there are a handful who charge just as much as taxis)
3) The autos that are there are the 6-seater PIAGGO ones and at any given time, you'll find at least 20 people stuffed there.
4) There are the cycle-rickshaws but given the Gurgaon climate (0 deg C - 45 deg C), it is simply impossible to rely on them, that is if you look past the inhumanity in the poor chaps cycling you.
5) Gurgaon is not all the place where you'd feel safe letting a woman walk on the street after sun-down.

Moral of the story : What works at one place, cannot work in others. I'm all for public transport (I spend 2 hrs/50km a day in one); but only because the city I stay in provides that good a transport.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks