Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2011, 23:49   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Should a few of us stop owning cars?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Now parking in open spaces, layouts and roads. There is no real answer to this. If a person has enough hard earned financial capability to purchase a Beemer, but no parking place who are we deny him the opportunity? Similarly folks who frivolously prevent others from parking in front of their houses are not really right. I think this is where we can bring about some real changes.

Please tell how we, as individuals, can make the situation better.

Why can't the guy with the "hard earned" money buy some parking space first and then buy a good car with the money left? As an individual that's the least he can do.

And illegal, if someone parks in front of my house I tell him politely to take the car somewhere else. there are very rare exceptions (a neighbour having guests and informing me in advance). Why am I not right in this? any idiot who does this, blocks my driveway (even if he parks away from the gate) because thanks to the narrow width of the lane, I can't turn my car without a serious risk of scratching his.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th May 2011 at 01:01. Reason: Please avoid using words like dumbass & jackass, next time you will be infracted for using such words, thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 23:51   #92
BHPian

^^ exactly what I have been trying to say! Perhaps the rightfully parked car inside private spaces are legally exempt from adding pin stripes to the 'rightfully parked car' bang in front of his gates or in such a manner that would be a hindrance?

Last edited by YaeJay : 5th May 2011 at 23:59.
Old 6th May 2011, 00:21   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Guys, I could not help noticing that most of the discussion is being directed to what authorities can or should do. Which is perfectly all right since they are the ones who are accountable to do their job. But is there something we can do?

We have debated on Public transportation. Everyone agrees that a good public transportation will ease the pain in Indian cities. But it is not in our control.

We have discussed alternate means like bicycle and bikes. Again safety is a big question. Even if we are driving our two wheelers safely, it does not guarantee that others will be kind to us.

Now parking in open spaces, layouts and roads. There is no real answer to this. If a person has enough hard earned financial capability to purchase a Beemer, but no parking place who are we deny him the opportunity? Similarly folks who frivolously prevent others from parking in front of their houses are not really right. I think this is where we can bring about some real changes.

Please tell how we, as individuals, can make the situation better.

Dot,
I am not going to get into the hard earned money or bicyles or bikes. I am just going to point an real life example that existed almost 2 decades back. A certain mid tamilnadu town which is famous for american diamonds, has almost only two communities dealing with it. They are extremely rich and a powerful lot. Most of their houses used to be 4 or 5 stories high. But the streets were always narrow. sort of 2 bikes wide. Everyone of them had cars if not just one. What they did was have their own parking grounds in the middle of the most congested place. If they could do it way back then, I wonder whats stopping everyone from having their own private parking space. And no, very few of them were passionate about cars, their motives were different but still!

If one wants to buy a bike, he better have a place for it to be parked. same for the car. I still haven't come across anyone, ( my mobility has been restricted the past few years but I've had extensive travel exp) that has their washing machine, fridge, their microwave etc etc on the street quoting lack of space. If this does not ring a bell, nothing will!

Perhaps its pinstripe time what say folks ( the ones with parkin!)

And I was thinking Road tax was just for driving on those usually rotten roads! Gee got to check up on the park anywhere bit!
Old 6th May 2011, 06:38   #94
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

city and town planning in India is a real joke.
almost all our layouts have massive building violations, no proper zoning and other facilities and certainly no footpaths and / or proper parking facilities.
houses are built on 30x40 ft sites or 60x40 ft sites for the most part. the owners build right up to the edge of the property without leaving any set back at all - front and sides and rear. in many cases there are instances of 'shared common walls' between 2 distinct buildings which are supposed to be separate and built on different sites. needless to say there is no budgeting for garage or porch spaces. they build 3-4 storey buildings and in some cases even little un-organized apartment complexes on a site meant for a double storey building - then they create self contained apartments on each floor and let them out for rent. If, in a standard 60x40 site which is normally meant for one family or perhaps two, they have actually 4 families living there, then suddenly the car population also multiplies! it would be fine if only one or 2 families live on such sites and park their cars in front of their homes, in a considerate manner, leaving enough space for other traffic to pass by.
this kind of over population not only puts pressure on parking but on the other essential facilities like water, garbage and electricity.
This is an increasingly evident scenario in Bangalore at least and I am simply at a loss to understand how the government authorities give their approvals for such constructions.
Particularly gross examples of such violations can be found in almost any and every BDA layout in Bangalore!

To echo an article I recently read in Top Gear it is about time we Indians stopped this mad unreasoning focus on the automobile as the "status giver" and focussed instead on simple "quality of life" - but this reality, I am afraid, will not come to pass - atleast for another 15-20 years - our blind acquisitiveness and greed added to a general disregard for rules and 'civilized' behaviour will put paid to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Pray, please tell me whats the job of Municipal & town Planning commissions in each city? No I dont expect them to do it all for free & more so for old areas but why cant they plan effectively even in the new areas of City?

Why cant they create Innovative parking places (Basement/Lift based etc) even for the crowded areas, when there are other cities in the world who do it just fine?

While I understand that this is more of a social responsibility & to an extent may be an individual one too, how much can an individual achieve if there is no help from the govt which is expected to provide for the Infrastructure?

If they are not smart enough there are provisions for them to make visits to foreign countries & learn.

MH State Foreign Tours Policy

Last edited by shankar.balan : 6th May 2011 at 06:44.
Old 6th May 2011, 07:12   #95
Senior - BHPian

Let us forget for a moment "Where will I park when I go to the bazar" bit and talk about parking for the night or when the car is not in use. If tomorrow we own a cow or a dog or a camel, will we tie it up on the road for want of space at home? If cars can be parked on the road, why not these animals, for the same reasons?
Old 6th May 2011, 08:59   #96
BHPian

I am willing to give up on my car if the public transport is able to provide the same level of comfort that i get in my car.

That is i should be able to get from Point A to be B as fast i get to in my car and the transport should be air-conditioned

We lack airconditioned trains and buses (yes there is volvo but the frequency? )
Old 6th May 2011, 09:53   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post

Also, dont allow cars over 10 year old inside metros.
What's the problem with older cars inside metros?
Old 6th May 2011, 11:20   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
What's the problem with older cars inside metros?
With the number of cars rolling out of the factory most of which are sold in metros adding to the traffic and no old cars exiiting the roads, give it another 5 years and it will be an utter chaos.

Atleast, getting a fitness certificate should be made much more difficult and the time period should be brought down to 10 years from 15. Not that you pay 2 grand and get a fitness certificate.
Old 6th May 2011, 11:53   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Why shouldn't older cars be allowed to run? Isn't this hypocrisy? The cars made now a days have a great engines and can run for over 2lac kms easily. As the car keeps getting older and changes hands, it loses its value. Lets say a relatively less fortunate person ( if I can say so) can cough up enough money to buy a used car for cheap. Why do you want to rob this person of this right? Just so that people buying new cars can continue to do so? Totally dont agree with this. I feel the current 15 year deadline is fine. 10 years will be too less a time for the good solid cars of todays age.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 12:40   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
With the number of cars rolling out of the factory most of which are sold in metros adding to the traffic and no old cars exiiting the roads, give it another 5 years and it will be an utter chaos.

Atleast, getting a fitness certificate should be made much more difficult and the time period should be brought down to 10 years from 15. Not that you pay 2 grand and get a fitness certificate.
If you want to ban old cars for this reason, why not restrict the number of new cars? And you don't even have to ration them.

As someone pointed out, Singapore charges very heavy taxes for buying a new car. Shanghai charges equivalent of roughly Rs. 5L for city number plates (non Shanghai vehicles are not allowed inside).

I'm sure if our government does that, it'll be turned draconian (none of the two govt.s mentioned above is known for its democratic ways).

Also, since most people end up dumping their old vehicles anyway, this will not even reduce congestion much and merely provide disincentive for people who take good care of their cars.

that said there are some good reasons to ban old cars - emissions, road safety ...

Last edited by vina : 6th May 2011 at 12:55.
Old 6th May 2011, 13:07   #101
Senior - BHPian

^^Built in obsolescence is an American innovation. That is why I don't trust any American automobile brand.
Old 6th May 2011, 13:09   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^Built in obsolescence is an American innovation. That is why I don't trust any American automobile brand.

He he he, when their ***** were being kicked by Toyota, Honda, Mazda and Nissans of the world, the American manufacturers decided to call their poor reliability "built in obsolescence"
Old 6th May 2011, 13:20   #103
BHPian

I truly believe people who cannot afford a parking space at their house should not burden the community going ahead and buying a car just because they afford the EMI thanks to the new found job which is over paying for the minuscule effort put by them or whatever.

Having a car is more easily achievable than a personal space so people are out right going ahead buying a car just to beat the peer pressure with no regard to the present condition in India.
Stringent law is the only way to save India.

Increase in cost of owning a car and people will automatically take the public transport.
More the people use the public system, more the people complain, more the people create an issue with the government will you see changes to improve the public system.
Please work for a better India than a better self.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:19   #104
BHPian

Interesting to read the diverse opinions. Traveling to the work place is the one thing that can not be avoided by most of us. What if companies encourage their employees to "work from home" for says 2 days a week (Makes sense for those in IT Sector). IMHO that reduces a lot of traffic on week days at least.

Secondly, most of us are in cities because they provide better job opportunities, better living conditions, better education facilities etc., I only wish, India develops its smaller towns and cities so as to reduce the congestion. This might be a reality in the future, going by the focus that automobile companies and FMCG's are putting on smaller towns and cities.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:23   #105
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Why can't the guy with the "hard earned" money buy some parking space first and then buy a good car with the money left? As an individual that's the least he can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
If one wants to buy a bike, he better have a place for it to be parked. same for the car.
I agree, before purchasing one needs to make sure that sensible parking space is available.

However, let me show you some pictures of Calcutta, specifically North Calcutta, the city where I grew up and owe back a lot.

Should a few of us stop owning cars?!-cal1.jpg

This is a satellite view of North Calcutta, taken from wikimapia. On the left hand side you can see river Hoogly and on the right hand side you can the more orderly Salt Lake city

Should a few of us stop owning cars?!-cal2.jpg

A very close up view of the steets I grew up on.

As you can see all the houses are next to each other. Wall to wall. There is absolutely no space between houses. The situation is like this for over 100 years. This picture would be similar to peth areas in Pune, some parts like Mahim in Bombay.

Where will these people park? Dont they deserve to buy a car?

I know where some folks park. There are old houses with a front open area. These open areas have been converted to paid parking. Depending on total area, 20, 40, 100 cars park at night. I dont know the current charges but in 70's 80's 90's we used to pay 100- 500-1000Rs per month per car.

The rest park on open roads.
dot is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed