Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2011, 03:46   #136
BHPian

Re: April 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
Honda , Nissan low and also read that Toyota will be doing production cut this month clearly means quake effect.
Serious challenge for TATA, though they now possess all the capabilities of a global manufacturer.Fail to understand about TATA below points
1. What stops them coming up a Bolero beater ?
2. Why the JLR technology still not making any visible impact on their India cars ?
3. If KPIT can make a Rs60,000 Revolo hybrid , why cant TATA make even cheaper hybrid systems for nano and Indica ?
4. What happened to so many vehicles they showed in Auto expo? , Iris , a smaller Ace?
5. If diesel subsidy is withdrawn on cars , where will TATA go?
1. LR Defender is just that, it is going to be assembled in plant vacated by Mercedes.
2. The new Pixel have lots of input, but we shouldn't expect more as JLR and Tata vehicles are in different price range.
3. Tata Nano and Tata Indica with dicor engine are already more fuel efficient than Toyota Prius, also Tata is perfecting their electric subsystems with Indica EV. They may launch it when battery packs would become more affordable.
4. They have launched Prima, inputs from Indica prototypes can be seen in Vista EV, they have launched Venture and Iris in some states but haven't marketed them much...
5. Indian Government dared to do that and Truckers bought government down on its knees. But there is much bigger reason why GOI won't change prices much: Inflation.
anmol2k4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 07:35   #137
BHPian

@ anmol2k4

It is not Defender but Land Rover Freelander 2 which is being assembled at the Tata plant, vacated by Mercedes. It should be available in showrooms by end of this month.

Last edited by akj53 : 10th May 2011 at 07:37.
Old 10th May 2011, 17:15   #138
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody tell how much is the market share of Maruti this month? I guess it is more than 50 % even after the drop in sales for few models. Others also seem to be struggling. Its amazing that after so much competition also MSIL is able to keep the share to almost 50% overall. Kudos to them

With fuel pricing increasing, interest rate hikes i guess auto industry is going to suffer for sure. Don't expect large jumps in YOY sales for all companies. Sale for costly cars may increase but overall market will come down in coming months i guess.
Old 10th May 2011, 20:45   #139
GTO
Team-BHP Support

*Update*

Audi & Volvo added to the opening post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Audi

A4 : 199
A6 : 54
A8 : 39
Q7 : 92
Q5 : 96
Quote:
Volvo

S60 : 3
S80 : 2
XC60 : 5
XC90 : 3
Old 10th May 2011, 21:22   #140
Senior - BHPian

I ve seen far too many Volvo's in my city of late. Mostly XC60s and S60s. I thought the new products are being appreciated by the market and that good numbers are being lapped up. But the sales figures of the Volvo is really puzzling now!
Old 10th May 2011, 23:32   #141
BHPian

Many thanks GTO as always for the prompt update on the numbers. A thread we all look forward to every month.

My observations (albeit late):

1) Swift's slightly reduced numbers could be because of gradual phase out of old model. There are even rumors that the bookings post May will automatically be given the new model.

2) The deadly combination of the Japan natural disaster + new launches in the C+ segment could spell the end of the dominance of the ANHC after a decade long dream run. Case in point: a few of months back, one of my friends was vociferously rooting for the ANHC over the Vento. He is still in the process of making the final decision, but now atleast is willing to take a look at the Vento.

3) Cruze > Corolla, Scorpio >> Innova, Vento >>> ANHC -> partly attributable to the earthquake in Japan (??)

Most automotive markets have a traditionally weak month / period. In Europe it is June-July. In Latin America it is Jan-Feb. Guess its Apr-May in India. We seem to have gotten past the old times when new car purchases would taper off during the year end (due to resale value considerations)
Old 11th May 2011, 01:20   #142
BHPian

Is it the New Verna or are there Huge discounts being offered on the outgoing Model?

Surprising to see it pipping the ANHC.

Also, was expecting the SX4 No.'s to be higher post the diesel coming in.
Old 11th May 2011, 01:49   #143
BHPian

Tata Sumo going good still?
Jan11: 2187
feb11: 2315
mar11: 2526
apr11: 2007

Can we have split of Sumo and grande?

Rgds
Old 11th May 2011, 07:09   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
*Update*

Audi & Volvo added to the opening post.
Just 3 S60 and 5 XC60!!
Wonder how Volvo will roll in the coming months.
Old 11th May 2011, 07:54   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
There are a lot of people who rate i20 as one of the best cars. Our neighbor bought an I20. On asking he said:-
1) We needed a hatch.
2) It should be big and spacious.
3) It should look cool from both inside and out.
4) It should have lots of gadgets.
5) Either Maruti or Hyundai for service network.

That is am janats's POV.
I for one find I20 as one of the cars diametrically opposite to my requirements and liking.
1) It is underpowered.
2) Handling is un-inspiring.

Now this two facts are the deciding factor for me to choose any car. I dont care too much about any other facts.

As for beat, I believe the product design is all wrong.
1) It is not a car for am janata: Small space, no boot. (Choose Figo/I20/Ritz)
2) It is not a car for enthusiasts: Handling and slightly sluggish.(Choose Swift)
3) Not a car for women or newbie drivers: Visibility issues (Choose I10)

What it is: A second car for family mainly to be used in city. (How many customers do you expect?)
-Extremely VFM
-Space-age Design
-Awesome ride quality
-Decent FE
-Chevy 3 years service

@Oxy: IMO, the Beat is an amazing car which the common car buyer in India doesnt appreicate because of the herd mentality of buying Maruti or Hyndai cars. Check out anyone who doesnt own a car, he would still talk about Maruti only because of the After Sales. IMHO, Maruti sells overpriced cars with none of the quality to talk home about.

Please revisit the Ritz's boot space..
Ok, apart from Swift I dont think Beat is inferior to anyone else.
Visibility yes, i agree.

I just think that the Beat is far ahead of what the Indian customer wants.

Disclaimer: I am a proud Beat owner. (and you need to see the looks which the car gets from kids & adults both)

Rgds,

Last edited by thumpmeister : 11th May 2011 at 07:56. Reason: spelling
thumpmeister is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 13:39   #146
rmk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
There are a lot of people who rate i20 as one of the best cars. Our neighbor bought an I20. On asking he said:-
1) We needed a hatch.
2) It should be big and spacious.
3) It should look cool from both inside and out.
4) It should have lots of gadgets.
5) Either Maruti or Hyundai for service network.

That is am janats's POV.
I for one find I20 as one of the cars diametrically opposite to my requirements and liking.
1) It is underpowered.
2) Handling is un-inspiring.

Now this two facts are the deciding factor for me to choose any car. I dont care too much about any other facts.

As for beat, I believe the product design is all wrong.
1) It is not a car for am janata: Small space, no boot. (Choose Figo/I20/Ritz)
2) It is not a car for enthusiasts: Handling and slightly sluggish.(Choose Swift)
3) Not a car for women or newbie drivers: Visibility issues (Choose I10)

What it is: A second car for family mainly to be used in city. (How many customers do you expect?)
-Extremely VFM
-Space-age Design
-Awesome ride quality
-Decent FE
-Chevy 3 years service
Well... the i20 is underpowered, with that. But its still a sweet deal. And aam janatha loves it.. The good thing about "aam janatha" nowadays is that they know what they want... They are specific...

"1) We needed a hatch- maruthi 800, alto, wagonr, astar, swift, estilo, zantro, i10, i20, punto, jazz, xeta, vista, polo , fabia, uva, beat, spark =qualifies

2) It should be big and spacious= i20, polo, fabia, uva, jazz=qualifies

3) It should look cool from both inside and out = depends, so not gonn argue on that

4) It should have lots of gadgets= i20,jazz, fabia= qualifies

5) Either Maruti or Hyundai for service network= i20 qualifies.

The procedure was simple. He got a car that ticked all his columns. (intelligent neighbor you got there, i'd say)
There are a lot of people or "aam janatha", who has the same requirements, who values the comfort and convenience. And hyundai has built this car for them.Not for 0-100 maddies.

Any objection??
Old 11th May 2011, 15:20   #147
BHPian

I wonder if it is possible to get a city-wise breakup. I spoke to a Fiat executive and he told me that they have a sizable 5% market share in Bombay. Is this correct? I have also been seeing a lot more Puntos on the road.

Honda - well, I guess they have been smug too long. Look at Toyota - their Etios collectively outsells all Honda products. Toyota tried to understand the market and catered its product to Indian tastes while Honda launched their Jazz at 8 lakhs!

Suzuki - It never ceases to amaze me how a company which makes average cars with same pedestrian interiors manages to maintain this 40%+ market share.
Old 11th May 2011, 17:17   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Suzuki - It never ceases to amaze me how a company which makes average cars with same pedestrian interiors manages to maintain this 40%+ market share.
Couple of reasons I can think of.

1. Very early entry to Indian market
2. The max number of outlets - Sales & A$$
3. Trouble free engines range
4. Very low cost of ownership
5. Max models at the max sales segments [B & B+]
Old 11th May 2011, 17:29   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Couple of reasons I can think of.

1. Very early entry to Indian market
2. The max number of outlets - Sales & A$$
3. Trouble free engines range
4. Very low cost of ownership
5. Max models at the max sales segments [B & B+]

Above all that,the perception of being a Indian Company called 'Maruti Udyog Limited'. It was only in late 2007 it became 'Maruti Suzuki India Limited'

Bata is still considered to be an Indian Company.
Old 11th May 2011, 17:37   #150
Senior - BHPian

Average cars? I don't agree to that only. The newer cars made by Maruti are all good like SX4, Swift, DZire, etc. They are very much in comparison with there competitors. I am using 2 Marutis at home & they are highly reliable cars. Plus the maintenance costs are very less. Other manufacturer are not able to make VFM products & also try to loot people in price & service. So Indians trust Maruti.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks