Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:27   #46
BHPian

Re: April 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Great numbers for the Cruze as it clearly takes a good lead over the corolla or maybe it is because of the facelifted altis which is just round the corner? However Honda's figures have gone from bad to worse and I personally feel it will take much more than introducing a diesel for Honda to get back at the peak

Last edited by np23 : 3rd May 2011 at 01:28.
Old 3rd May 2011, 07:33   #47
Team-BHP Support

Some observations
  • Looks like VW is really living up to the name – emerging as a mass market giant.
  • Vento doing close to the double the numbers of City! Maybe due to the diesel advantage, trouble in Japan, and also due to all the negative publicity gathered by Honda in recent times.
  • Cruze doing extremely well against the Altis and Laura. The numbers for Civic does not do any justice to the car (could be due to the news about the new launch)
  • The old Fiesta doing pretty well. Shows how well accepted that car is.
  • Superb steady in its segment, with new Passat closing the gap. Accord is going from bad to worse.
  • Kizashi looks like a rare mistake from the Suzuki stable. But atleast it is doing better than the combined numbers of Camry and Teana.
  • Looking at the huge numbers posted by Suzuki, the only duds they have are in the Kizashi, Vitara, and to an extend the A-Star. The first two is not a surprised, but a bit puzzled by the low numbers from A-Star.
  • T-Jet or no jet, Linea seems to settle in the 800-1000 mark. No change expected unless Fiat folks join some good marketing classes. This brand really need some better management.
  • Yeti should have done better, and so is the case with Aria.
  • Fortuner is ruling the premium SUV segment, with Captiva and Endy doing average numbers.
  • CR-V, Santa FE, Outlander and X-Trail on a trail to being extinct.
  • And finally, excellent numbers from Cayanne!
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:13   #48
Senior - BHPian

Tata's car sales are getting affected due to VW and other new players. One thing Tata's cars are lacking is style quotient. Tata's designer design their cars in more utilitarian than style aspects.

Young age do not want rounded feel cars more also Indica's design is more than decade old. Figo is giving good performance MoM due to its great design aspects and equally competitive engine. Figo adds snob value of customer.

Nano has crossed 10K mark. Is that 4 years free warranty affect? Lets see how long they continue.

New Verna is on card and we will get sales data from May month onwards. This car is stonker and would make further down Honda sales by considerable numbers.

VW rising exponentially, very soon VW has to support its sales with adequate number of A.S.S outlet. Otherwise they will get affected with negative marketing.
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:19   #49
BHPian

Cannot just single out City. Vento and SX4 sale has also suffered a severe dent

City - From 2773 to 1542 (-1231) (Honda has announced 50% production cut so this was expected)

Vento - From 3,973 to 2866 (-1107)

SX4 - From 3632 to 2102 (-1530)

So please lets not target the City here.
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:42   #50
BHPian

My two cents:

1) The figures of cars that are readily available/little waiting time) have gone down (e.g. alto, Indica, Indigo,i10, Santro, WagonR ) where as the ones with 2-6 months waiting time are doing well (Swift's, Dzire, Vento, Etios etc.). Does it indicate that the overall April sales is bad. Dzire/Swift selling 11000 units despite the new model around the corner is perhaps for bookings done 4-6 months back

2) With similar pricing, Vista is loosing out to Figo. Tata need to pull up their socks. Indica eV2 pricing is perhaps contributing to lower sales.

3) On the Indigo: TML never disclosed the break up on Manza vs the regular Indigo. Some of the regular Indigo's market has been taken up by Logan under Mahindra. It would be interesting to see Manza figures vs Etios vs Dzire. Despite Tanuka San, Manza has some of the typical Tata niggles due to manufacturing issues that they need to fix. Despite the Elan which addresses some of the interior design issues like the power window switch assembly, the interior plastics are the same, the people who assemble them are the same. Unless TML improves their QC, it will continue to have niggles.
Plus they have to win the perception battle. Lots of people that I talk to have not even seen/driven a Manza have asked me why did you buy Indigo?

4) Good to see the Linea sales improving.

5) I20 is a revelation but does it also not have a waiting time in most parts of India?
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:15   #51
BHPian

Dissapointing Sales of Beat, I don't know why they are delaying the Diesel Version. Polo is doing awesome, thanks to a well defined product which serves the needs of Indian customers.

IMO once the fiesta and verna are launched city will go down to 1k per month. Vento is again a fantastic product at a very competetive price.

What happened to Alto? Almost a 10 k dip
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:21   #52
BHPian

Verna - 1800+:

I'm a little surprised: Either people are ignorant or the number includes the first batch of ANHVs dispatched to dealers.
sith_lord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

Car sales growth slows in April 2011 as reported by TOI today link Car sales growth slows in April - The Times of India
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:39   #54
BHPian

Excellent numbers for Cruze, Etios & Cayenne. Etios has justified the entry level VFM sedan's image despite the negative feedback about its looks, build and cheap interiors.

Production cut seems to have affected the Japs but Honda's numbers wouldn't have been much better in any case. Their sales figures seem to be setting new lows every month. 22 units of CR-V is a disaster. They need a facelift for the entire range of cars in addition to a diesel engine and a price cut. Sounds hard to get all 3 right.

VW seems to be doing well with Vento & Polo. Consistently good numbers.

The new Verna launch should make things interesting between the City, Vento, SX4 and Verna.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 3rd May 2011 at 10:41.
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:55   #55
Senior - BHPian

I know for sure that Tata dump too many cars before March to all the dealers over India. Dealers get flooded with cars in there backyard. Tata is doing this for years to show strong numbers in the annual report. So expect some lower numbers in next 1-2 months also. After that it will come back to normal. Same case with Maruti this time. They dumped to many vehicles to dealers due to fear of increase in excise duty for small cars. But it didnt increase. From next month onwards Maruti sale will also increase. Specially for Alto. This was confirmed by one of Maruti sales executive

Anyways, great numbers for Swift & DZire. I guess it is the most successful car siblings in the world. Almost 12 K DZires is mind blowing. I guess they had large number of bookings and they are clearing it fast now for last few months. They must have increased the capacity as well. Thats why numbers are great for it for last few months. They dont want Etios to take the advantage
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:20   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Tata should seriously do something about the venture.
Seeing the Venture adv. on TV now a days. Product is launched 3/4 months back and the adv. is coming now.
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:21   #57
Senior - BHPian

Is the Manza facing the heat from Etios? And what has happened to the Indica? One of the lowest figures of the Indica and Manza in recent times. Cheers to the i20
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:24   #58
BHPian

A quick question. Why is the Porsche 911 not mentioned?

Also, Phaeton: 1

I know just one line in German: Das saig ist unser, which I think sums up VW's performance. It means 'Victory Is Ours'. [I could be wrong, friend taught me ]
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:40   #59
BANNED

I wish Mitsubishi closes shops soon and leave India ! Excluding Amby numbers HM Mitsubishi doesn't cross 150 units.

Wake up Mitsubishi!
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:12   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post

* What happened to Honda?!!! They are fast getting relegated to the also-run category. Only 2012 cars in the entire month, with all their offerings taken together. Thats lesser number than even Fiat whose image woes just refuse to go away (and as a result sales refuse to go up).
Honda has cut production by 50% due to gaps in supply chain management due to the impact of recent Tsunami.

Toyota and Nissan sales are also affected and this would reflect in their sales figures respectively.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks