Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 23:47   #91
BHPian

Re: April 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Skoda, VW and Toyota seem to be doing very well over last year. Maruti is still doing good volumes.

Like someone here pointed out, what is happening with Mitsubishi?
Old 5th May 2011, 01:08   #92
BHPian

are separate figures for Manza and Indigo cs available?
Old 5th May 2011, 15:29   #93

Major setback for Honda - City/ Civic & Accord all down!
Alto has lost about 35% of sales - surprising!
Hyundai Santro has done well.
Tata Indica & Ford Figo have struggled!
Maruti Suzuki SX4 which has started picking up suddenly got lost!
Chevy Cruze might cross 1000 mark in the next couple of months!

Overall market is down by about 20-30% average - would like to know the reason..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Team,

Please find below sales stats received so far. The rest will be added as I get them.
Old 5th May 2011, 16:02   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmay22 View Post
Overall market is down by about 20-30% average - would like to know the reason..
I am guessing you are comparing the decrease with the last month, remember Mar is year ending month so there will be lots of people rushing to make sure the budget set aside is realized.
But for April, the budget would have not been allocated in many companies thats why Mar and April reflect varied figures.

Thats why the ideal way of comparing is compare them with figures for last year, this will reduce the seasonal variations.
xingamazon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 20:01   #95
rmk
BHPian

8000 i20's!! Wow...thats impressive. This was one car that was so underrated and underestimated, accusing that it has an underpowered engine (puny engine...haa???), lifeless steering ( its godsent dear critics...) and bla bla..
Swift selling just 1000 this month, i20 is catching up... If maruthi delays the launch of the new swift and fail to manage the waiting periods.... i bet... you'l see one sales chart of some month ( not very distant) with more i20's than swifts...

Waiting for my beauty in red.... !!
Old 5th May 2011, 23:58   #96
BHPian

I 20 1.2 is the one that is called underpowered. CRDI is the one thats making up the numbers i guess. Nevertheless Swift just because it is selling huge numbers doesnt mean it has no drawbacks. Every car has its drawbacks. Lifeless steering is always there in I 20!!!
Old 6th May 2011, 09:56   #97
BHPian

What astounds me is the numbers the Swift is doing inspite of the upcoming upgrade. But the layman probably doesn't know about it. I know a friend who booked the car without a clue that the new Swift was imminent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
* What happened to Honda?!!! They are fast getting relegated to the also-run category. Only 2012 cars in the entire month, with all their offerings taken together. Thats lesser number than even Fiat whose image woes just refuse to go away (and as a result sales refuse to go up).
This speaks volumes about VW's brand management in a country where it was deemed necessary to have "Volkswagen" plastered across the cars cause the public had no idea about the logo. My cousin was on the lookout for a 10L sedan & he wasn't even considering the City, eventually booked the Vento Highline Diesel. There's a breath of fresh air the Vento has brought, the cars have a novelty factor for the time being. Although they're doing good monthly numbers, the fact is their "newness" means there aren't as many VWs on the road. Compare that with the Swift, SX4 & City!

Honda needs to rework the city pronto. At least get a good diesel unit in, if not buy it from someone! The new Verna & Fiesta only plaints a gloomy picture for the Jap giant
Musicmaker23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 10:14   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
Micra is not at all a VFM product when compared to Punto. There is no surprise on Punto selling in more number when compared to Micra.

Another reason for Micra not doing good is that they have very few sales outlets.

Another reason why the Micra could doing poor sales is the mediocre interior, even in the top end version the interior does not invoke any special feeling infact the "brey" interiors make the feel somewhat cheap. That is certainly a deal killer for me. This is ofcourse IMHO.
Old 6th May 2011, 10:37   #99
BHPian

Every one is saying that MSIL has done good but how ? All sales are down except Dzire. Data from our own site. Let me know if I am wrong ...

March

800 : 2915
Omni : 7808
Alto : 38065
Estilo : 4403
WagonR : 14885
Dzire : 10278
SX4 : 3632
Eeco : 6608
Swift : 12114
A Star : 2934
Ritz : 6059
Kizashi : 103
Gypsy : 606
Vitara : 14

April

M800 : 2528
Omni : 7577
Alto : 25462
Estilo : 2342
WagonR : 12229
Dzire : 11797
SX4 : 2102
Eeco : 5445
Swift : 10622
AStar : 1525
Ritz : 5263
Kizashi : 35
Gypsy : 210
GVitara : 7
Old 6th May 2011, 11:55   #100
BHPian

So far as Tata's not being very vocal about their launch of Venture, may be their first batch of customers are the test mules and we will soon seen ads for an improved Venture V2!
Old 6th May 2011, 11:56   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
Every one is saying that MSIL has done good but how ? All sales are down except Dzire. Data from our own site. Let me know if I am wrong .
MSIL has done well with repsect to the competition. Their april sales are less than March but that is the case with all the car manufacturers. Compare different companies sales figures of the same month.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:45   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I fail to understand whats mitsu upto? Either they are serious about the Indian market or foolish enough to exit it. But why this middle ground? They dont sell any cars anymore. No new launches coming up even though the brand is still respected in India and the new Lancer and other cars in there line-up would sell like hot cakes if launched. What is exactly happening with this company?

It is very sad to see a strong global brand like Mitsubishi not coming out of its slumber in huge growth market like India. It is high time that they phase out Lancer and Cedia. They should bring in cars like Colt, Lancer EX, ASX that will fetch them volumes followed by Pajero Sports, Galant and Grandis. Mitsubishi is no 2 here in Philippines just behind Toyota and miles ahead of Honda, Nissan, Chevy, Ford etc They achieved this rank here with a great and impressive line up of Lancer, Lancer EX, Lancer EX Ralliart, Lancer Evo X, Galant, Grandis, Eclipse, ASX, Outlander, Pajero, Pajero Sports, Adventure, Fuzion & Strada. If they can bring in so many models in a small market like Philippines, I really wonder why they wouldn't do that in India.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:14   #103

OEMs are not focussing on C segment right now - Altis/ Civic/ Jetta
New Elantra & Jetta are due in next 6-8 months so poor volumes!
The only top hat doing good here is Cruze - Is that because of others performing badly or is it a real good product?
Old 6th May 2011, 14:25   #104
BHPian

Today there will be tons of car deliveries, maybe April numbers got impacted because of Akshay Tirtha being so early in May. Makes no sense that Honda would have lesser numbers than Fiat, ( I love fiat cars)

Will be watching out for May sales figues.

@ GTO any chance of these numbers being available in a spreadsheet.

Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 15:08   #105
Senior - BHPian

VW has proven that they understand new markets very well - they did it in China and now they are putting up a great show in India ! In fact in my Vento ownership thread I had mentioned that I had taken a leap of faith on after sales support - its VW's understanding and commitment of resources that made me take the call that these guys are in for the long haul ! VW commands a premium in most markets not for nothing but their approach to India shows a great understanding of the Indian market and positioning of each product - an intent to carve its niche . Thus Polo is positioned as a premium hatch, Vento is meant to displace City and it displaced it quite handsomely -since premium sedan had just one player and that was City who had created a sub segment of its own and was milking it. Passat is not exactly a price warrior in its segment. VW strategy is very interesting !
On the rest of the players, Cruze has proven that a good product with right pricing strategy is embraced by us - remember that we have rejected quite a few duds from all stables over the years.
I am also gladdened by the stabilised sales showing from Logan , hope Mahindra can use the Logan platform and replicate the success of Scorpio, Bolero in the car segment - would love to see a good "Desi" car company come up.
The coming months would be interesting to watch with the "Fuidic" unveiling and 2011 Fiesta - it would be great if we have other good alternatives available , more the merrier !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks