Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 21:34   #31
BANNED

Re: April 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures

8k's for the i20 is simply beyond me. I rate it as a very very average car which only has good looks going for it. Also surprised by low Beat numbers given that its looks nice, has nice high quality interiors, is fuel efficient and is one of the cheapest in its class inspite of having a very generous standard equipment list. One car that deserves to sell more.
Old 2nd May 2011, 21:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Spark as expected increased sales due to price cuts.

Low numbers for the City surely is due to Japanese production cuts will be interesting to see the figures in coming months.

I have even heard from Maruti dealers here that even Maruti is affected by the Japanese crisis.

I20 wow...nothing else comes to my mind every time I see its huge sales numbers.

Ambassador is the best selling HM vehicle. Awesome isnt it.
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:00   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to see Vento is ruling the C segment. Polo doing decent numbers is reinforced from the visible numbers seen on the roads. Passat doing good business. VW is on treading the right path.
For MS Dzire +Swift seems to be winner , more so since the next gen Swift is slated sometime this year!
Hyundai doing decent numbers in the i10-i20's

Guess later part of 2011 would be interesting, to see the market response to the new launches!

Cheers!
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:10   #34
BHPian

Finally it looks like the MSIL sell has been decreased for the hot hatch + Extra Booted, would like to see future sells of the MSIL. How they are coping up with the hot segment competition in India. FIAT is steady @ ~2000.
However I could see lots of Dezire/Xylo/Grande as as Taxi service around bangalore.

Last edited by Sowmya : 2nd May 2011 at 22:11.
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

Vento should be worried with two new diesels coming up. City would not have to be.
Overall looks like a little cooling down.
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:47   #36
BHPian

What's wrong with Indica and Indigo? They seems to be selling less month on month.
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
8k's for the i20 is simply beyond me. I rate it as a very very average car which only has good looks going for it. Also surprised by low Beat numbers given that its looks nice, has nice high quality interiors, is fuel efficient and is one of the cheapest in its class inspite of having a very generous standard equipment list. One car that deserves to sell more.
There are a lot of people who rate i20 as one of the best cars. Our neighbor bought an I20. On asking he said:-
1) We needed a hatch.
2) It should be big and spacious.
3) It should look cool from both inside and out.
4) It should have lots of gadgets.
5) Either Maruti or Hyundai for service network.

That is am janats's POV.
I for one find I20 as one of the cars diametrically opposite to my requirements and liking.
1) It is underpowered.
2) Handling is un-inspiring.

Now this two facts are the deciding factor for me to choose any car. I dont care too much about any other facts.

As for beat, I believe the product design is all wrong.
1) It is not a car for am janata: Small space, no boot. (Choose Figo/I20/Ritz)
2) It is not a car for enthusiasts: Handling and slightly sluggish.(Choose Swift)
3) Not a car for women or newbie drivers: Visibility issues (Choose I10)

What it is: A second car for family mainly to be used in city. (How many customers do you expect?)
-Extremely VFM
-Space-age Design
-Awesome ride quality
-Decent FE
-Chevy 3 years service
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:49   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
1500 Honda City to 2800 Ventos. Is that the final nail in the coffin for Honda? Its only going south from here with both the New Verna and Fiesta set for a launch in this month.
this is pure impact of Japanese natural disaster. Nothing else.
Old 2nd May 2011, 23:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

Surprised by the Spark volumes (+ve) and City (-ve), but then this could be an aberration like the Figo one month towards the end of last year.

Also surprised at these figures:

Yeti: 132
Aria: 286

They're the only two vehicles being advertised as crossovers, right? Hope this particular trend continues.

Also, I've already seen a number of the new Indica as taxis - probably attracted by the 25kmpl milage claims
Old 2nd May 2011, 23:20   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Mahindra

Verito (Logan) : 1006

Tata

Aria : 286
Venture : 357
It is indeed a commendable effort from Mahindra that logan sales have been contant for the last couple of months. Something that the French could not achieve.

Tata should seriously do something about the venture. Luckily, Aria has bounced back. It is a good product.
Old 2nd May 2011, 23:25   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Poor show by Nissan Micra, outsold by even the Fiat Punto!
Micra is not at all a VFM product when compared to Punto. There is no surprise on Punto selling in more number when compared to Micra.

Another reason for Micra not doing good is that they have very few sales outlets.
Old 2nd May 2011, 23:49   #42
Team-BHP Support

Why has Alto's sale taken a dip? It was 38,xxx last month and its 25,xxx this month.

Mahindra, do whatever you wish, but launching the Genio with Xylo's face was a no no. No one wishes to buy the Xylo ( a very good MUV) for this virtue alone.
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:03   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of points that struck me !

I guess Mar 2011 cloaked much higher numbers comparatively due to the financial year ending / price hike etc !

* i20 sales growing linear steadily for the last 3 months; from a 6K to 8 K - Who says India doesn't have a market for premium hatchback ?! Yeah, please load it with goodies, we will buy it]

* Alto sales down from 38K to 25K - Now thats a very sharp decline !!

* Aria sales up 98 to 286 !

* Vento sales down to 2.8K from almost 4K

* SX4 sales down from a 3.5K average to 2K

* City sales down to 1500 from 3.5K - Should be the effect of Tsunami rather than anything else. Both SX4 & Vento sales have also been sliding.

* Will be interesting to see the Verna numbers in the next month

* Fiesta Classic has not done much magic to the numbers

* Swift & Dzire still going strong!

* Looks like Indica & Indigo numbers fell lower.

* Cruze still cruising nice & clean !

* Looks like Spark is doing much better than Beat - Will be interesting to see how much can the Diesel improve the figures for Beat. [Spark's features were cut down from the top end right ? Still manages to sell good numbers I guess!]

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd May 2011 at 01:14.
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:13   #44
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Great numbers by Nano, i20, Cruze and Etios. Poor show by Mitsubishi and Honda. Probably due to the quakes in Japan, the production has been slowed down. But seems VW is going great guns with the Polo and Vento. The launch of the Hyundai RB and the new Ford Fiesta will be very interesting. Also very poor show by Nissan Micra. The weak dealer network hurting the sales. The Cruze outselling the Altis, Laura is a good indication, considering its only available in diesel. Thanks for the numbers GTO. Hope to see the sales figure of the luxury car makers soon, specially Jaguar sales considering that there are many Jags around given the few dealerships they have.
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:26   #45
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the compilation.
A few points from my side:

1. Nothing much to say about MSIL. They can sell just anything uptill the Dzire.
2. FIAT numbers getting slightly better. I wonder are the two products so bad that they can't sell more. The A*S*S is an issue but the products should do some covering for it.
3. TATA Nano , sweet smiles. Rush of advertisements and sale campaigns doing the trick. Finance by Tata Finance also making things better. But Indica and Indigo numbers going down. Seems "Tanaka Sir" not doing the job. And more than that Etios will eat more of Manza than Dzire. Tata need to think. Vista needs a replacement now, in some way or the other. Where's the Dolphin by the way?
Aria catching up. Venture still in nascent stage. Has it been launched all India now?
4. Least said about ANHC. Good package getting slaughtered with Honda arrogance.
5. A few years back, nobody knew what was a VW, now people know Volkswagen : Das Auto. Great going.
6. "A haryanvi Song : Maidam baith Bolero mein, Le aaya tere khatir", Bolero rules the rural and semi urban segment.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed