Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 23:12   #76
BHPian

Re: April 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Maruti sales are great for DZire, have they been holding out on rolling out this car in the last 2-3 months just cos of the waiting period? Maybe. i20 is another star. These two cars truly epitomise what the Indian car buyers look forward to (after they've experienced the Alto and the Nano). Features, VFM, good service. I wish we could see the petrol/diesel car sale figures separately. Where there is diesel, there seems to be a sale. Think the DZire, Swift, Vento, i20 and other buoyant cars have the diesel in them...vis-a-vis Honda. Perhaps time to load the City with gizmos it always should have had, at the same price. With this brewing situation, will Honda be able to pull off a 'Figo' with the Brio? I just wonder if the used car market affects the new car market, just see the amount of City's on sale, even the no. of Civics/Accords in the used market is considerable. Also, the taxi market has not picked the ANHC up too well either. Maybe the slower market forces are combining with the tsunami, recall, poor A.S.S., high prices etc to become visible now.
Old 4th May 2011, 00:43   #77
BHPian

The chevy aveo UVA selling more than Honda Jazz

Last edited by .anshuman : 4th May 2011 at 11:31. Reason: Strictly no discriminatory comments on owners of a particular car please. Thanks for your anticipated co-operation.
Old 4th May 2011, 00:51   #78
BHPian

Mahindra

Verito (Logan) : 1006
3 wheelers + GIO + Maxximo : 9869
Xylo : 2214
Scorpio : 4144
Bolero : 7345
ST + Marshal + Maxx : 750

Look forward to this thread every month last couple of years. As always, great work GTO.
Jus thought Id chk..since it was missing last time as well...! Any updates on the Mahindra Thar numbers. I ve seen a couple of them on the road and also seen 2 of them getting prepped up for delivery at the NBS workshop, Reay road, yesterday. Im kind of leaning towards one. It wud be interesting to know how many they sell; purely academic. I hope i ve not missed this info some where in the thread.
Old 4th May 2011, 10:26   #79
BHPian

1. Vento continues its reign over the City. Tsunami has affected Honda.
2. Sad to see Indica sales down. Vista deserves better figures.
3. Spark has sold 1400+ than the Beat. Effect of price reduction and offers ?
4. Of all the city hatches, i20 seems least affects. Very strong at 8000+.
5. Very strong show by Dzire. And, the new Dzire is not yet launched !
Old 4th May 2011, 11:31   #80
BHPian

Sales of all cars seem to have taken a huge dip. Looks like the March end effect where the companies have dumped the cars on the dealers and it would take a while for them to liquidate the stocks.

Fiat seems to have followed a steady path though the numbers are not good in any ways. Fit finish and QC issues and indifferent dealerships still major issues.

Honda/Toyota/Nissan numbers should not be read much into as the drop is due to the reduced production on account of the earthquake.
Old 4th May 2011, 13:09   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
The chevy aveo UVA selling more than Honda Jazz
Hahaha ...

GM still selling UVA is itself a surprise. The numbers are going down every month. I guess in next 6 months company will stop selling this particular model. Or will they try to fit diesel in that also? Which i dont think. But for sure it has reached to its end of life cycle.
Old 4th May 2011, 15:01   #82
BHPian

Omni & Bolero doing 7000+ units almost stumped me!
Civic - 253? It makes no justice to the car. Maybe because of the new Civic pics doing rounds in the Internet.
Feel like seeing Mitsu going down!
Old 4th May 2011, 15:47   #83
Senior - BHPian

Why is there no mention of Ikon number sin the Ford line up? Not a single sold in April or that Ford has stopped production of Ikon's totally.

Really sad to see the Fiesta numbers, wonder when will the new fietsa numbers start appearing.
Old 4th May 2011, 15:51   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Why is there no mention of Ikon number sin the Ford line up? Not a single sold in April or that Ford has stopped production of Ikon's totally.
Ford had confirmed the Ikon production stoppage in Feb-11.

Cheers!
Old 4th May 2011, 16:42   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
this is the yearly sales comparison as published in Time of India

Source : :: E-paper ::

Skoda & toyota has the highest growth with just few models. Not counting VW, as it did not have a mass market model previously.

Honda at -44%? Wake up honda
In that case one should also exclude Toyota as Etios was not there last year.

That said its really commendable effort by Skoda to almost double without no major launches this year.
Off topic: I am seeing Bajaj nearing a lot to Hero Honda, But I am guessing they must have already been earning more per bike owing to the Pulsar family of bikes
Old 4th May 2011, 18:00   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
That said its really commendable effort by Skoda to almost double without no major launches this year.
Not fair to say that.

The new generation Superb and Yeti has contributed significant numbers to the total.Had it not been for their horrible after sales service,the story would have been different.
Old 4th May 2011, 18:29   #87
BHPian

@ Silverwood

I agree with you. Quite a Few brands have become classic cases of brand mis-mismanagement in India.

Few names immediately come to mind like Skoda due to their horrible A.S.S., Honda due to their atrocious pricing and arrogance, HM still living in ancient times., Mitsubishi sticking with HM, Fiat unable to improve interiors and ergonomics and pre / post sales experience. Not listening to customer feedback is the common factor among above.

Last edited by akj53 : 4th May 2011 at 18:38. Reason: Correction
Old 4th May 2011, 21:09   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

So the Nano has crossed the five figure sales mark ! It has also become the largest selling Tata car. Can only hope that it maintains or even surpasses this figure in future.The Tata Venture should also sell better as its a practical micro MPV competing with the Omni and Eeco.The Aria seems to have crash landed during take off, but its too early to pass such a judgment.The Nano had also been written off by critics and now the 10012 (were some 20-30 cars bought by Tata executives to cross and report the five figure sales?)
The Innova sales have dipped to about 700 less than the Scorpio. It used to be the largest selling from among the SUV/MPV models. Guess the Japan earthquake has slowed down the spare supplies and that can be the only reason. Even the Altis and the Fortuner report low sales.But the Etios becomes the largest selling Toyota.The Safari sales are about a quarter of the Scorpios sold.
From the Maruti stable the Alto seems unbeatable! The K10 heart has made it our real people's car. In its hey days, the 800 sold well but the Alto appears to be a "lambe race ka ghoda".The A Star with its dismal 1525 cars sold, has attracted more attention of teambhpians to its thread (Indian Car Scene) where we are scratching our heads and are worried as to why its not selling?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ling-well.html
The Wagon R, Swift and DZire are the darlings of car buyers. For MSIL, these along with the Alto provide all the bread and butter and Mr Osamu Suzuki knows it only too well.
Hyundai is left with its i10 and i20 to take it along the rough and unpredictable sales path. Luckily, it did not abandon the Santro or even the Accent. These are selling well for their classes.With 740 Vernas (Refreshed ones there) sold more than the Accent, the Verna is a non-performer. HMIL should take stock of its C class offerings and remap its strategies.
The top selling models from Honda, the ANHC and the Civic are also showing seismic effects in their sales figures. Only hope normal spares supply is restored soon.
The Ford Figo has done well and so also the Chevrolet Beat and Spark.The Fiesta sells lesser than the Accent despite the slew of offers.
HM seems to be sick and of the 397 Ambassadors, as I have earlier said, are mostly replacements in the Kolkata taxi market where the HC order to ban 15 year plus commercial vehicles is now enforced.The Mitsubishis seem to be parked in most showrooms for weeks together! The Pajero has at least sold 76.
The Fabia has had a good improvement. The Nissan Micra and the VW siblings Polo and Vento are dark horses that may emerge and report rising figures.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 4th May 2011 at 21:16.
Old 4th May 2011, 21:46   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

I fail to understand whats mitsu upto? Either they are serious about the Indian market or foolish enough to exit it. But why this middle ground? They dont sell any cars anymore. No new launches coming up even though the brand is still respected in India and the new Lancer and other cars in there line-up would sell like hot cakes if launched. What is exactly happening with this company?
Old 4th May 2011, 23:13   #90
Senior - BHPian

This is what Honda said in its official press release on their website for company's low sales last month.

Quoting from their website "Honda Siel Cars India Ltd. (HSCI), leading manufacturer of premium cars in India reported sales of 2,012 units during the month of April 2011 as against 3,578 units sold during the corresponding month last year.

Commenting on the company’s sales volumes Mr. Jnaneswar Sen, Sr. Vice President, Sales & Marketing said, “As announced earlier, the Japan issue prompted us to reduce production at our Greater Noida plant to 50% from this month. However, production adjustments for a smooth transition began from mid April. Further, to ensure continuity of supplies to our customers in the forthcoming months, we have moderated our wholesale dispatches. We are hoping that supplies will normalize post July and we would be able to catch up on the lost volumes. "
Closed Thread

Most Viewed