Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:47   #16
J.Ravi

Re: Scoop: Fiat Linea F/L, beige-ified punto on the cards

FIAT India are trying their best to win back the customer satisifaction without getting disheartened by low volumes. Even improved interiors would result in better volumes for Linea and Punto, IMO.

Old 3rd May 2011, 19:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

The Vento TDI is clearly the best car in the mid size segment (diesel). The ANHC is still the best 'overall' petrol car but diesels sells more than petrol.

Quote:
Er.. Do you mean the FIAT's automatic gearbox, Dualogic?
This is juicy. I think Linea is STILL the best looking car in the mid segment (ANHC = balanced, Vento= classy but boring, ANHV=Smashing but over styled).
The only case when somebody will consider Linea is:

1. Uplifted interiors: It needs a material upgrade. A design upgrade a-la Punto Evo will be welcome too.

2. 1.6 MJD: Nothing else would do. Also, this will just about bring Linea at par with the other cars in the segment (Vento TDI, ANHV). Also, Fiat needs to drop the 'sucker' engines. The 1.4 normally aspirated and 1.3 MJD VGT simply needs to go away. They need to have the 1.6 MJD as well as 1.4T JET engines only. If that means that they can't keep the car cost low, so be it. Nobody buys Linea coz its cheap anyway. Only enthusiasts buy Linea.

3. 'Sequential Manual' Auto gearbox: There have been rave reviews about this gearbox. It is quicker as well as more efficient than the manual gearbox. After DSG, this looks to be the best technologically advanced gearbox in the segment. Needs to be coupled with both petrol and diesel.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:55   #18
mxx
BHPian

Does this include the new punto evo interior? Or is it just a few minor,color changes? They got to bring in the Evo interiors IMO.
Old 3rd May 2011, 20:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

@mxx

I think here we are talking about the Linea and not the Punto which is getting the facelift.

If the new Linea from Brazil is anything to go by, the changes are pretty minimal. The easily perceptible changes that can be seen from the Linea's Brazil site (linea.fiat.com.br) are

1. Chrome strip on the bonnet lid, just below the line of the badges. Dont think it makes it look a lot better. But Indians will always like some extra chrome
2. Another chrome addition, around the front grill. Again not a big change, Indians and chrome almost always goes well.
3. The interiors get a big major change though. The central panel has a new shiny black plastic/metal and all the switches have gone black from the present light brown kind of colour that exists
4. The shiny black treatment also extends to the steering mounted buttons and the small strip of chrome that was there on the passenger side.

I expect with these changes to the Linea interior, the Punto will move to the Linea's present interior. Check out the Fiat Linea Brazil site for a few pics.
Old 3rd May 2011, 20:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

At least Fiat is constantly doing something to keep their (already pretty good) cars fresh and appealing. They are removing the cons one by one and making their cars really good. They definitely deserve some applause
Old 3rd May 2011, 20:45   #21
BHPian

Yeah!! Now that means i wasn't wrong at all!! I spotted these cars but were not having extra chrome beading.
@Abhi_Automobile- I don't exactly agree with your points, the 1.3 MJD VGT is a superb engine which is good for both highway and city.
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:06   #22
BHPian

IMO , a good move by FIAT.
They have been trying to improve their image and are hell bend on cracking the puzzle called " Indian car market ". The consistent 1800-2000 no's that fiat is doing some where shows that customers are giving them a chance again and they are there to grab that chance.

As for power goes, people need to understand that we don;t even have proper highways to run those high power machine. a simple question -

how many of us has managed to do consistent 120 for more than 5-10 min;s on highway without any fear. any one !!!!!

I really don;t understand why so much hopper bola is being created on this upgrade especially when all most every manufacturer has been releasing such upgrades to keep the interest going in their car , be it maruti or Hyundai or GM.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 3rd May 2011 at 21:08.
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

^^
At the very least, it shows that Fiat is ready to improve their product and is not about to shut shop and leave!
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:25   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
This inside info has been provided by a staunch supporter of team bhp, who prefers to remain anonymous. Thank you Mr. A, I owe you a treat soon.
  • The punto will finally get beige and black interiors (like the one in linea) within 3-4 months. The dynamic model will gain the integrated stereo, lose the rear power windows. Again, NO INFORMATION on anything related to mechatronics.
Now the omission of rear P/W is SICK !! Whats the quality of an OEM stereo in Punto? I would any day prefer rear P/W to this !

Disclaimer :: The below two responses are more of *FUN* intended [though I have mentioned facts] - please don't feel offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post

how many of us has managed to do consistent 120 for more than 5-10 min;s on highway without any fear. any one !!!!!
Just as an answer, yes, I have and multiple times! And am sure there are many people who do this on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post

As for power goes, people need to understand that we don;t even have proper highways to run those high power machine. a simple question -
That used to be the case - we have much better highways / roads / expressways which can take speeds in excess of what you have mentioned. What we usually lack is people with much traffic sense in those roads [read it as zig-zag driving, driving in opp lanes, no usage of proper signals and so on].

One of the reasons why people are so excited about this refresh is that Punto & Linea are GREAT machines which lack in many basic areas like plastics / fit & finish and engine power [ talking about the enthusiasts]. So if Fiat is going to address these issues, I am sure it could improve sales, though not dramatically. And considering that these are not exactly cheaply priced cars, the points I mentioned makes a lot of sense.

PS: A friend of mine and a bhp'ian who bought a Punto was showing his car to me and was providing me a demo of the driver height adjustment lever. He made a statement that "I hope the lever doesnt break soon" with a sad face!! Now considering that he paid a heavy 7L+ for the car, I would not expect the owners to feel that pinch. He also showed some broken cup holder / some tray that was not closing properly / some plastic bit that keeps falling off and so on - that too in a BRAND NEW car !

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd May 2011 at 21:38.
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:27   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh Fiat wakes up before the arrival of new Verna and Fiesta. But nothing is wrong with the looks of the Linea, it clearly is the best looking car, the classic Lines do not feel dated at all, it's something else which is stopping it from selling in volumes. The posts above cover the reasons well.

I hope Fiat India does not ruin the looks of the best looking car in the segment- The Linea. Linea in other countries looks exactly as in India(correct me if i am wrong), so the facelift will be a local job. Fingers crossed.

Beige interiors for Punto means Interiors from Linea, meaning slightly better Interior quality. I hope they also get the same Fabric upholstery from the Linea, the upholstery in Punto has made to a price feel.

1.6 MJD and better support should be top priority. The sales might be steady today but the competition is going to get a lot tougher from next month onwards.
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Now the omission of rear P/W is SICK !! Whats the quality of an OEM stereo in Punto? I would any day prefer rear P/W to this !

Disclaimer :: The below two responses are more of *FUN* intended [though I have mentioned facts] - please don't feel offended.

Just as an answer, yes, I have and multiple times! And am sure there are many people who do this on a regular basis.

That used to be the case - we have much better highways / roads / expressways which can take speeds excess of what you have mentioned.
On same FUN note, I couldn't find such highways here up in my side of country . May be you are lucky to have such a road in your side of country

on a serious note, I tried doing that on straight as Nose highways during my recent trip to rajas than and lost my OVRM to cow's blessing and could n;t cross 90 for next 200 Km;s , thanks to same cows and wild animals.

I still stand by my comments 2 posts above.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 3rd May 2011 at 21:34.
Old 4th May 2011, 08:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Just to add to the glamour quotient

Image courtsey - Google search. Copyrighted by respective owners.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Fiat Linea F/L, beige-ified punto on the cards-2010fiatgrandepuntofl2.jpg  

Scoop: Fiat Linea F/L, beige-ified punto on the cards-fiatgrandepuntoevo1.jpg  

Old 4th May 2011, 08:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

The above pics are from the Punto Evo, not likely to make it here any time soon I think.

That pics begs the question, what's with the extra set of lights. You have the headlamp cluster, with the headlamps and the indicators. You have a pair of round fog lights right at the bottom. But what are 2extra lights at the extreme sides for???
Old 4th May 2011, 08:48   #29
Senior - BHPian

I know its Evo, what I am trying to say is, its time that Linea is Evofied . I guess the 2extra lights on the extreme side are the parking lights.
Old 4th May 2011, 09:18   #30
BANNED

Errrrr, I wish i had seen this thread earlier:( Last evening I had been to TASS for service of my Jet. I spotted a Linea which was camouflaged and I was wondering what it was. The Service Manager said it's "Diwali variant" and the car was in TASS as it had broken headlight and bumper.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks