Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop: Fiat Linea F/L, beige-ified punto on the cards

This inside info has been provided by a staunch supporter of team bhp, who prefers to remain anonymous. Thank you Mr. A, I owe you a treat soon.
  • Fiat plans to introduce a new improved avatar of linea with some mid cycle cosmetic nip and tuck and improved interior trim with some changes by diwali. This is a top secret project ongoing at Fiat India in order to boost linea sales. NO INFORMATION on anything related to mechatronics.
  • The punto will finally get beige and black interiors (like the one in linea) within 3-4 months. The dynamic model will gain the integrated stereo, lose the rear power windows. Again, NO INFORMATION on anything related to mechatronics.
sidindica is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:58   #2
BHPian

re: Scoop: Fiat Linea F/L, beige-ified punto on the cards

@sidindia-

Good to hear that. Fiat desperately needs a make over to fight the competition.

Any information about the much rumored 1.6 MJD.
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:10   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop: Fiat Linea F/L, beige-ified punto on the cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Fiat plans to introduce a new improved avatar of linea with some mid cycle cosmetic nip and tuck and improved interior trim with some changes by diwali. This is a top secret project ongoing at Fiat India in order to boost linea sales.
Mild enhancements are a "top secret" project? And does Fiat honestly think a face-lift will noticeably turn around sales?

Quote:
NO INFORMATION on anything related to mechatronics.
Can you please elaborate? Why the mention of mechatronics here, and for the Punto?
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:21   #4
BHPian

Only cosmetic changes?

Any infor on 1.6 t jet on punto? or the much hyped 1.9 m jet on linea?

Linea deserves 1.9 m jet for its style and ride
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:31   #5
BHPian

Well, its not a secret any more .

Beige interiors and a 'mild facelift' IMHO will do little to help Fiat. What they need is something like the 1.2 K-series engine for the Punto.

Fiat makes great powertrains abroad and why not bring them to India? Why are we still stuck with the underpowered engines?

Off topic but, I feel the Polo will do well with Suzuki's 1.2L petrol engine rather than their 1.2..Time to think over this one.

@Sid - what are you referring to by saying 'Mechatronics'?

Last edited by designersf : 3rd May 2011 at 14:32.
designersf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:33   #6
BHPian

FIAT is already running way behind.
They need an altogether new generation model for India.
Shed some weight FIAT.
You need to build an All India automobile like Ford did with their Figo if you need to compete here.

Just checked their UK website. They have nothing else to offer either:
Just check these designs:
Doblo, Panda, Multipla, Qubo
Fiat 500 | City Car| Fiat.co.uk
Clumsy to say the least.

FIAT where are you heading towards?
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

mechatronics=mechanicals plus electronics.
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

I hope they dont name it the Punto Stile and Linea Stile!!!

If anyone from Fiat are listening please know that People are not buying your cars not because its not beige. Also know that all these people are not buying the Figo because they dont have rear power windows.

If you really care about the Indian Market.
  • Start "FIAT SERVICE CENTRES". The "Authorised" part is just not working in your case.
  • Make all Parts available at all Service Centres. Please don't wait for the customer to ask for something and then you try to find out which part that really is.
  • Train your service people to focus on getting the cars out of your service centre at the earliest rather than trying to keep it with them for as long as possible. Your cars truly deserve to be on the roads.
  • For gods sake dont 'shoo' away pre-punto Fiat owners from your service centres and give them hard time for believing in your brand when not many really did so.
  • Fiat Customers cant really call up Mangesh Kodalkar or mail your MD for every little thing. That's not a good way to do business in this era.
  • And FOR GODS SAKE CHANGE THOSE UGLY MUDFLAPS YOU MAKE THE PUNTO WEAR!!!

This is a sincere request from an ardent FIAT fan who still owns a Uno and has sold his adventure both because of the way FIAT has done business all these years!!
gemithomas is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 15:58   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
If anyone from Fiat are listening please know that People are not buying your cars not because its not beige. Also know that all these people are not buying the Figo because they dont have rear power windows....
Well said.

We love FIATs for their mechanicals and exterior body styling.
Give me a Palio with the same old interiors and i would still buy it, but for the absence of seperate service centres. If you can't offer that, atleast start selling spares through 3rd party vendors.
I'll sell my 2 month old car and buy a FIAT.
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:21   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mild enhancements are a "top secret" project? And does Fiat honestly think a face-lift will noticeably turn around sales?
well, if they end up with interior quality comparative to cars a segment higher? say keep the design exactly same but put much better plastic and fit it better? won't that make the package much better?

Quote:
Can you please elaborate? Why the mention of mechatronics here, and for the Punto?
i think he meant motor and gizmos in general by that term. and who knows, they might be bringing in their newer/bigger engines.

my wishlist:
a. window curtains! i am sure those that phat door trim has the space! P8 doesn't cut it.
b. a higher capacity engine that can deal with the high weight ( more efficiency), while lending more peppiness. ofcourse, the state of tune and GB will need work too. and fiat is somehow lagging behind maruti on this part.
c. the boot is visually perfect on the linea. the capacity too is great. but the lip is very constrained. does need to be relooked, without spoiling the dynamics or looks!
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

I think a Linea face-lift would also mean 1.6MJD will make an appearance. Introducing a new engine alone does not make much sense, I think there needs to be some visual difference with the current Linea if 1.6MJD is introduced - just to make the general public think that it's a new car and bring them back to the showrooms. Just putting a new engine in does not work as Fiat might have learned with the limited success of the Punto 90HP and Linea T-jet. In that sense, I guess the need to introduce 1.6MJD has necessiated this facelift.

I would hate a beige-ified Punto. I love the grey/black interior combination on my Punto.
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

I don’t think that just face-lifting a car will increase its sales numbers. Fiat should focus on marketing the product aggressively along with competitive pricing. Many people turn down Fiat cars because of the fear of TATA after sales services. I think Fiat should come up with its own service centers and showrooms in the country. This will give them what they actually deserve i.e. the stability in Indian market.

PS - Why they are face-lifting such a good looking car?

Last edited by bluevolt : 3rd May 2011 at 17:16.
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
mechatronics=mechanicals plus electronics.
Er.. Do you mean the FIAT's automatic gearbox, Dualogic?
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

I doubt that these changes will bring about any major change in fortunes. But I do expect a bump in overall sales by around 20% for about a quarter. And I doubt Fiat are looking anything more than that either.

I would rather hope they offer a 1.6MJD on the Linea to compete with the 1.6Vento and upcoming 1.6 Verna and also bring th 1.4Tjet to the Punto to compete with the 1.6Polo.

As for the beigified interiors, I wont personally like it, but I think most people will. But what's with the dynamic model, gaining the stereo, but losing rear pwr windows?!?!?!
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
If you really care about the Indian Market:
If I can add a few for Fiat:
If you really care about the Indian Market,
  • Give your customers a TD at least once if they visit your showrooms thrice for a TD
  • teach your SAs to open the door of the car when talking about it
  • teach your SAs to say more about the Punto than "this is the Punto 90 HP". The customers may want to know more than that, really!!
  • make your customers feel welcome in the showroom. Not that I want tea/ coffee/ water, but avoids someone from wanting to leave
  • call them back within 5 months of their visit to your showroom
  • disclaimer: all of the above refer to a real life prospective Fiat buyer and have complete resemblance to factual people and situations

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd May 2011 at 17:31.

Most Viewed