Team-BHP - Accent hatchback: should it be launched in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Accent hatchback: should it be launched in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/100632-accent-hatchback-should-launched-india.html)

I got a chance to visit NY Auto show and got some pictures of this superb looking Accent hatchback.

Plonk the same engines to be offered with soon to be launched next gen Accent/Verna, and we are talking about a really hot hatch here. Hyundai are already able to sell i20 for prices of upto 7lacs (or more), then why can't they manage good numbers from this uber-cool looking car. Also, it would make sense because there would be a lot of part sharing with the new Verna.

To each his own, but I would prefer this over anyday over the sedanized version. Thoughts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aslambhai (Post 2337302)
Plonk the same engines to be offered with soon to be launched next gen Accent/Verna, and we are talking about a really hot hatch here.

Its a beautiful car alright! Even better than the Verna sedan they are about to launch in India. However, i dont think Hyundai will consider launching this car in India.

1. Cars in that price bracket have been sales duds! (eg: Honda Jazz). At that price level, people tend to pay more and get the sedan version.

2. Verna (Accent in international markets) does not having the handling to justify the hot-hatch image. (Same has been mentioned in team-bhp review as well!). So, it has to sell purely for its hot hatch looks, which is again a mistake. (ala Chevrolet SRV).

3. Unlike i20, where Chennai is the main production center for all world markets, is Accent hatch being produced out of India, for the world?

i20 CRDi costs between 7-8 lacs OTR Bangalore. Now if we get Accent CRDi, they will have to sell it upwards of 8.5 lacs. Not sure how many people will buy it at that price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 2337305)
3. Unlike i20, where Chennai is the main production center for all world markets, is Accent hatch being produced out of India, for the world?

No. AFAIK, Accent Hatch will not be made in Indian plant. Its being made in Korea for the world.
And as said, though the car looks beautiful, it just won't make sense in India and will join the list of super-flop cars at that price point.

@aslambhai - Really nice pictures :thumbs up. Are you a photo journalist?

Hyundai is on to major style upgrade across its models - new i10, yet to be launched Verna RS. All these cars are styled on same theme - (like how Ford's 'kinetic' style is a guide)

Looking at these pictures, I think this might replace the current i20. As I agree with the most - higher pricing may not work.

This will very will compete with Honda Jazz, however Hyundai have this segment covered with i10 and i20. There will be a overlap with i20 however if they position it above the i20 it would be very difficult to sell.

A good looking car though, reminds me of the SRV

Yea I think i20 caters to that segment in India.
Whats called Verna here, is being sold as 'Accent' in Europe for atleast five years now.

I noticed that the top model i20 (automatic) is priced at over 10lacs in Bangalore, wonder if they sell any of those at all!

The Accent looks beautiful.

It might have a market, if not now then in the near future. Just look at the way the Indian market has evolved. Five years back, if you told someone that you were spending 6 lakhs+ for a hatch, you would have received some very strange looks. But now it is not a big deal with all the i20s and Puntos around. More and more people, especially in the cities, are becoming aware of the conveniences offered by modern hatches. So I think, in the future, a diesel Accent hatchback with an 8 lakhs+ price tag might not raise too many eye brows, if loaded with the correct goodies. The petrol can, of course, be much cheaper.

And, I think, Accent and i20 can co-exist. Too much choice need not be a bad thing, as Maruti has proved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vigneshnr (Post 2337321)
@aslambhai - Really nice pictures :thumbs up. Are you a photo journalist?

Thanks Vignesh! I am not a photo journalist (but I would love to be) and these pics were clicked from my mobile. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkumars (Post 2337399)
.... Just look at the way the Indian market has evolved..... More and more people, especially in the cities, are becoming aware of the conveniences offered by modern hatches. So I think, in the future, a diesel Accent hatchback with an 8 lakhs+ price tag might not raise too many eye brows, if loaded with the correct goodies..... And, I think, Accent and i20 can co-exist. Too much choice need not be a bad thing, as Maruti has proved.

My point exactly and I couldn't have put it in better words. Its always nice to give customers choices, even if it eats into your own market. Maruti has proved it and its time for other manufacturers to start doing the same.

And this car, if sold at the price of Honda Jazz or Ford Fusion would definitely better the dismal numbers managed by car like Fabia, Punto, etc.

i really do not see any difference between this and the existing accent. Infact this one quite qualifies for the all new i20 if hyundai had to bring it to india and maintain the same theme as the new i10 and the Verna.

Quote:

aslambhai

Accent hatchback: should it be launched in India
I got a chance to visit NY Auto show and got some pictures of this superb looking Accent hatchback.

Plonk the same engines to be offered with soon to be launched next gen Accent/Verna, and we are talking about a really hot hatch here. Hyundai are already able to sell i20 for prices of upto 7lacs (or more), then why can't they manage good numbers from this uber-cool looking car. Also, it would make sense because there would be a lot of part sharing with the new Verna. I realize that you went to NY show and saw this and subsequently liked it. But talking about such vehicle in India context is irrelevant.

To each his own, but I would prefer this over anyday over the sedanized version. Thoughts?
Well, I can see your excitement. However, aren't we discussion this topic for the sake of discussing. There is zilch chance of this making in India. Reason= this will priced too high for anybody to buy it. The Jazz has set such a clear precedence for everybody in India/ Costly hatchbacks don't sell in India.

Moreover, Hyundai takes practical and sensible decisions (read business minded). There are many things which 'should' happen but I personally would like to discuss things which at least has some chance of happening.

BTW, yes, I would like it to be launched in India.

The Accent hatchback does not make sense for our country. We already have the i20, which is the best selling premium Hatchback at ~8000 units/month and is pretty much as good as the upcoming Verna.

I cannot think of a price point where the Verna hatch can be positioned successfully. The new Verna range will be well spread out with lots of variants with 4 engines and 2 gearboxes on offer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 2338408)
The Accent hatchback does not make sense for our country. We already have the i20, which is the best selling premium Hatchback at ~8000 units/month and is pretty much as good as the upcoming Verna.

I cannot think of a price point where the Verna hatch can be positioned successfully. The new Verna range will be well spread out with lots of variants with 4 engines and 2 gearboxes on offer.

That is right. Our market is yet to mature for accommodating larger hatchbacks.
What we need here, is low priced sedans and the higher sales of Indigo and Dezire are reasons enough.

Further, the Accent in other markets is Verna here.
A Verna hatch, in all probability, is likely to go the Chevy SR V way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vigneshnr (Post 2337321)
Hyundai is on to major style upgrade across its models - new i10, yet to be launched Verna RS. All these cars are styled on same theme - (like how Ford's 'kinetic' style is a guide).

@ Vigneshnr: What is the Verna 'RS' all about. I have never heard about it and googling never threw up any results as well? Thought the RS was only for the Skodas

@Others
It would really not make sense for anyone to buy the hatch version of the new Verna, as we Indians generally prefer more for less or at similar price points, one that offers more.

Unless I am a fan of the Honda Jazz, any day i would prefer to go in for a City by adding more cash, or at the same price level even consider a SX4, Verna, Linea, Manza or so on.

Look at the failed products in this similar category

1. Honda Jazz (Not that it resembled a Honda Sedan, but failed due to high pricing)
2. Ford Fusion
3. Chevy Optra SRV (Classic case of a hatch taking a wack)
4. Fabia (They did bad initially, but they drastically cut down their prices and even did away with the top variant that had projectors etc, to stay in business)

Before people think that this hatch is of regular hatch size, let me put this clear that this is as big as the current accent, its more like the Accent Viva than an i20 which didn't sell as well as the regular Accent.

Also Optra SRV was dud in the market, so far big hatchbacks have never done good numbers in India

More pics from Hyundai Stall can be viewed Here, the thread contains pics from the International Auto Show 2011