Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 12:43   #46
BHPian

Re: Will India become a design hub in the future?

I would just like to bring your attention to two projects. Both of these were done at DSKSupinfocom in Pune.

I hope this puts to rest the assumption that we cannot design anything!!

Jai Hind!
crazycardude198 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 14:16   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajess_in View Post
Let me put in my views based on my experience as a automotive R & D guy!

In these aspects, India will / has emerged as the principal KPO (Knowledge Process Outsourcing) market. We are good at engineering things in terms of cost / weight / quality, but are a long way to go in Design.
I second rajess_in. He has nicely summed up the present scenario.

When we say automotive design, two things pop in the mind -

1) Aesthetic design
2) Functional design

In terms of aesthetics we have just started and have a long way to go to reach global standards, where an Indian design firm can be compared to an Italian design house. Having said that, we have a lot of potential, and some of them are right here in T-bhp.

For functional design, India is slowly becoming a major hub. Many OEMs have an R&D center in India. 10 years back they were vestigeal or did not even exist. But now, these centers provide considerable value-add to their parent OEMs, in terms of vehicle design and technology. The Mercedes-Benz R&D center in Bangalore designed the door for one of the Mercedes-Benz trucks, along with considerable deign inputs (technology) for the latest catalytic converters we see in the passeger vehicles. Doesn't sound as sexy as what Giorgetto Giugiaro does, but still is vehicle design
Old 31st July 2011, 11:46   #48
BHPian

Featured Designer > Chezhian Natarajan, TVS Motors | Riot Engine

Say hello to Mr. Chezhian Natarajan. As Macaulay Culkin used to say, 'Eat this'.

We ARE a creative nation. All those sought after historic masterpieces sculpted, painted, etched, built are testament to this. You can blame the system for churning out engineers by the truckloads and all that, but there's no denying that the talented ones manage to find their way out of the muck and shine.
Old 17th December 2011, 23:22   #49

just stumbled upon this and Wow! I see my own sketches, though really old ones..

well to get back to the thread, as a professional Designer, working for an automotive company, I would say hell yeah India is for sure on the right path to becoming a major source for automotive design, dare I say even industrial design, for those who say we have no creativity, lack skills, blah, blah blah...I say please get out of your colonial prejudices and look around, Indians have been active in the design field for ages and for further proof, examples abound all over the world in various design studios across the world. Pininfarina to Renault to Mercedes Benz to Ford all have Indians in their creative design teams, not to mention our own Indian companies.
And there is more talent on the way, what matters at the end of the day is passion, as long as that is there it doesn't matter which nationality one belongs to..
chezhian350 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks