Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2011, 15:51   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: SCOOP : NEW HM AMBASSADOR (CS Version)

Nice Scoop KALINGA!! The exact shape of the body is not visible in the pics.

If HM is targeting to qualify this car into small car tax slab they will need a smaller engine too, both the 1.8 Isuzu will not work. A 1.2 Petrol for Amby will be too weak considering the weight of the car. Anyways Good Luck HM.
Old 4th January 2011, 16:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

No perceptible difference with rear cover.

Sure to flop if priced above 3.0 lakhs
Old 4th January 2011, 16:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

If HM is targeting to qualify this car into small car tax slab they will need a smaller engine too, both the 1.8 Isuzu will not work. A 1.2 Petrol for Amby will be too weak considering the weight of the car. Anyways Good Luck HM.
I managed to get the pics from back only. And only the back was covered.
It was heavy traffic at pick hour and i chased around 1km to take the pics.

The car was so quick; don’t know if it’s a petrol or diesel mill.
The tires were thin. I am sure those are not tubeless.

Chop the big boot of current amby and it’s became the CS.

I think HM is targeting the sub 4 meter tax slab. Now an amby can be in 2 to 4 lac price tag.

Last edited by GTO : 4th January 2011 at 16:26. Reason: Removing formatting errors from post
Old 4th January 2011, 16:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

I dont think HM is thinking of a petrol engine at all ( assuming this is the CS version ). it could be a 1.4L diesel.

But from pics , its not clear whether its a CS version. anyway is this all worth the effort HM ??
Old 4th January 2011, 16:32   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Whoa! Now, that's a catch Kalinga. Who would have ever imagined using "Scoop" and "Ambassador" in the same sentence. Thanks for sharing.

The standard Amby is what, 4325 mm? Chopping 325 mm off such an old frame is no small task. What I find funny is HM's response time. A full 3 years after the Indigo CS, someone at HM must've said "Hey, wait a minute! I can do a CS to my car too, lower the selling price and gain higher volumes". Who's buying a cheaper Ambassador though? I can understand the Indigo CS' appeal to first-time car buyers (sedan for the price of a hatch), but an Amby? Not the cabs & govt. departments for sure.

To all those who are laughing, the vintage Ambassador remains HM-Mitsubishi's best selling car. Ironical, isn't it? Well, looks like the ol' girl isn't ready to take off her dancing shoes just yet. Sigh....
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2011, 17:10   #21
BHPian

I believe this has potential in rural india where the jeeps are used extensively, If priced right and with diesel economoy plus low maintenance.
Old 4th January 2011, 17:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Introducing the Ambassador Classic CS

They should give fuel lid opener from inside the car bit the old fashioned one! Hope they also give it some peppy engine and maybe a LPG option if they cant get a decent petrol engine.
Old 4th January 2011, 17:48   #23
BHPian

Why HM Why
Why to come up with such a thing and make a mockery of the company that had ruled the Indian roads for decades.
What HM needs is a new age amby as someone rightly pointed out keeping the heritage lines same a la beetle but with modern touches.
Seems like the men who designed this car have come out of a life-term from some remote jail, were immediately blind-folded and taken to the factory and asked to make a sub-4 mts car.
Again I would like to specify the fact that in the past, I used to love the Ambys, infact most of us here grew up looking at ambys and padminis.. some of us even dreamt of owning the giant one day.

It just makes me sad to look at the way the company is handling its current affairs.
Old 4th January 2011, 18:11   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
I hope they come up with something on the lines of the Volga coupe (with a few alterations ofcourse). Retro, yet sporty.

http://pic.phyrefile.com/m/mx/mxm/20...onvertible.jpg

Shan2nu
That's what am always dreaming about.
Atleast some styling aspects taken from the Volga v12 coupe.
Disappointed that they could only come up with this, though a side profile would have given a better view about the car.
Old 4th January 2011, 18:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Looks like HM crashed one of their trucks into the back of an Amby and... lo and behold - the Amby CS was born!
Old 4th January 2011, 18:18   #26
BHPian

Why not? If HM can pull a CS version of the Ambassador, keep it sub 4 meters and bring a peppy 1.4 odd lts diesel mill, it would sell. The car would look very similar to the Hackney London Cabs. May be it can get a good boost of sales from the taxi market. Keep the car a little vintage with modern features and it could be a enthusiasts/collectors item as well. If done well, this could be a very nice move for HM. Lets see how the drama unfolds.
Old 4th January 2011, 19:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Only HM can go back in time... I can see the original "Landmaster" look is back!
+1 to that
hope the changes are not limited to exterior
Old 4th January 2011, 21:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

What will power this car, will it be 3 cyl. versions of the existing Isuzu engines to qualify for the tax/duty savings?! That in itself I think is a challenge for HM R&D if one ever existed, let alone develop all new power plants.

I don't think shortening the boot is a big challenge on an Amby especially taking into account its huge rear hangover the cars original design is blessed with. Just wondering how poorly Mitsubishi must be faring in India if this is HM-Mitsu's best selling model. If they cannot put any sincere efforts and investment into their Indian operations may as well shut shop and save face.
Old 4th January 2011, 21:12   #29
BHPian

I don't know how will this attempt change status-quo for this brand and company? It could have been avoided. And whatever costs, they could have been saved too.
BH.
Old 4th January 2011, 23:03   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
the current version of the AMBY doesn't have steel bumpers. They are body coloured.
In fact I too believed in the fact that all new Amby bumpers are body coloured. Nope, some brand new taxis of the 1500DSL version in Kolkata had chrome plated bumpers of the old kind.
SCOOP : New HM Ambassador (CS Version)-dsc05084.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Hi All,

Just spotted a brand new HM Ambassador on KARVE ROAD in pune.
It’s a CS version of Ambassador.

Yes, you are reading right. I saw a CS (Compact) version of HM Ambassador.
Front side is same as old one. But there is some change in back side. Because the back side was covered. Some change in back light also. But no change in front and back bumper, same old steel bumper.

PRESENTING THE ALL NEW HM AMBASSADOR CS

Note From Moderator: Pics moved to post#1.
Dont know whats so secretive about the rear of this car. Why they had to cover up the design like this? Is the Logan (the Ambys nearest competitor, if any at all ?) going to copy this rear design?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Hahaha.. looks like they HM took inspiration from the Landmaster and wanted to go back to the good ole days of the Landy! I am sure the CS will be somewhat Landmasterish. I think the Landy looked much cuter than the Amby back.

Why cant they just get rid of it or come up with something like what DC did to the Amby.. what the heck, why not do a complete new car like the Mini or Beetle which will have some lines to suggest that its an iconic Amby but actually is nothing like it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Only HM can go back in time... I can see the original "Landmaster" look is back!
SCOOP : New HM Ambassador (CS Version)-dsc04762.jpg
Indeed I would be only too happy if the back is an exact replica of the Landmaster as in case I want to change the rear panels of my old Black Lady, I would drive straight into a new Ambassador showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Whoa! Now, that's a catch Kalinga. Who would have ever imagined using "Scoop" and "Ambassador" in the same sentence. Thanks for sharing.

The standard Amby is what, 4325 mm? Chopping 325 mm off such an old frame is no small task. What I find funny is HM's response time. A full 3 years after the Indigo CS, someone at HM must've said "Hey, wait a minute! I can do a CS to my car too, lower the selling price and gain higher volumes". Who's buying a cheaper Ambassador though? I can understand the Indigo CS' appeal to first-time car buyers (sedan for the price of a hatch), but an Amby? Not the cabs & govt. departments for sure.

To all those who are laughing, the vintage Ambassador remains HM-Mitsubishi's best selling car. Ironical, isn't it? Well, looks like the ol' girl isn't ready to take off her dancing shoes just yet. Sigh....
Cabs with a shorter boot OK as passengers are rarely choosers.
But the inflated ego of the Babus may be bruised with the sliced off boot.
True GTO Amby remains the bread and butter for HM.The Porter, Trekker,Contessa and Oka have come and gone. Now the Mitsubishis may also go into oblivion sometime later, if their sales do not pick up.
But the Good Ol' Amby lugs on! A salute to the Grand Old 52 plus year old Dame from Uttarpara.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks