Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2011, 10:28   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Buy @ launch or wait

Guess in most cases, buying at launch is associated with going by your heart and buying after would be using your head.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 14:19   #47
BHPian

There are two thins to consider in this regard.

The number of parts indegeneously manufactured and fitted in a new car will be far less than a generation older model. This is evident in many cases. The localisation content in any new launch will be far lower than that of the same car few months down the line. So what u get is a car with lot more imported parts.
A good example is indica vista quadrajet, when it was launched had engine and gearbox assembled in italy. Only the final assembly in the vehicle was carried out in India. Few months down the line, the same engine and gear box was assembled in India and fitted in the vehicle.

But the disadvantage is that you may not know what issues can crop up. every manufacturer extensivelt tests his product before introducing to public. But no matter whatever the amount of testing you do, you cannot simulate every single field condition and every single usage pattern. This is why even cars from many reputed manufacturers have problems in field. Moreover field testing is not a cheap process. Just think of your driver wage, fuel and maintenance charges, engineer wages, time etc for all the vehicles subjected to field simulation.

Barath
Old 24th May 2011, 14:31   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
every manufacturer extensive tests his product before introducing to public. But no matter whatever the amount of testing you do, you cannot simulate every single field condition and every single usage pattern. This is why even cars from many reputed manufacturers have problems in field. Moreover field testing is not a cheap process. Just think of your driver wage, fuel and maintenance charges, engineer wages, time etc for all the vehicles subjected to field simulation. Barath

I do not think any automobile manufacturer will take short cuts in reliability testing before releasing the product. This is as you have mentioned would surface at launch, and as the forum suggests are predominantly seen in Tata and MM launch vehicles.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 14:44   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
I do not think any automobile manufacturer will take short cuts in reliability testing before releasing the product. This is as you have mentioned would surface at launch, and as the forum suggests are predominantly seen in Tata and MM launch vehicles.

Cheers!
Hi Volkman,

Sorry that my post had given a wrong view.

Am not saying that manufacturers will take a shortcut and cutdown testing (Vista is tested for over 1 million kms before launch). All i am saying is that even with all the testing, it is not possible to simulate every single field conditions. Even the manufacturer with the most rigorous testing standards (read Nissan. If a manufacturer tests his product for 1 million cycles, nissan tests their products for 10 million cycles) will face issues cropping up i the field. There are issues in micra also. But the prime difference between our mahindras, tata's and Honda's is that they have well established system to take care of such issues and solve the same cost factor not an issue for them (Check the price difference between a front caliper of a honda city and manza. Seals were mostly imported whereas for tatas seals are mostly made in India). But our tatas and m&ms are still tied to the cost factor that eventually leads to plenty of issues in field.

So its just a matter of money, brand image and value you get.

Barath
Old 18th August 2011, 16:13   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

The sensational story on Jazz's price that's been unfolding supports the 'wait' theory. In this case the price front.

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th August 2011 at 16:28.
Old 18th August 2011, 17:11   #51
BHPian

I apply a bit different reason for delaying my purchase and not at launch, first being reliability issues and second being watching the car to be successful or not, I normally sell my car in 2-3 yrs time, so resale values are important for me and popular cars have resale better and also easier to find buyer
Old 25th September 2011, 19:52   #52
BHPian

How wise to buy a new launch?

With a couple of new SUV launches round the corner, with an interest in buying one, the question that comes to my mind:

How does one make buying decision for a new launch, i.e. ones with no ownership reviews? Would the known-devil - unknown-angel dilemma favour time tested products with known niggles?

1. Specifications of a new launch would be known, though car is such a product, whose reliability and performance becomes known only after use for a while. The early adopters make this huge favour on the followers by providing the same. Still, what is a good time frame since launch, for one to get decent reviews?

2. You associate some weight to the brand and their past history of delivering good products. There might be others with reputation of getting it right only the third time. But there could be let-downs by good brands as well. How does one judge this?

3. Can one factor in aspects like whether a new launch is a totally new platform by the manufacturer or whether it's a variant of a time tested one - the variation is at which level - engine? other mechanics etc.?

4. See it from manufacturer's point of view. How would they promote initial sales - besides advt campaigns? Would they offer discounts to early buyers? Does it make a good buy to early adopters? Have there been examples in the past where early buyers had an advantage?

5. Compare this with other walks of products. There will be queues to buy new launches from brands like (say) Apple. People will be crazy to become first buyers of products from certain brands. Is that kind of craze seen in car buyers? Not sure - at least by serious buyers who buy for long term ownership and can't afford to switch after short term ownership.

(Aferthought: Perhaps this sounds like comparing apples and oranges. The difference might stem from inherent differences in reliability characteristics of solidstate devices vs an automobile and also from price tags.)
Old 25th September 2011, 20:47   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How wise to buy a new launch?

First of all welcome to the forum ! Hope you enjoy every minute of your stay here and also gets to learn & share your experiences & views !

For a new launch, I would go by the brand, but that's purely me. Again I am not so sure whether I will be the first one to buy any newly launched car too. For me a TD is a must even if I hear great reviews & only then decide whether it actually fits. And for me, the max weightage goes to the power train. If its really great, then I dont mind buying a new car. Eg:: Swift Ds have put enormous faith in Fiat MJDs. So if a new car comes with this engine, we have better faith in the product. If the entire components are new, I would rather wait for some feedback & then jump.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2011, 21:53   #54
BHPian

Thanks for a warm welcome swiftnfurious and I take the privilege to be your 200th thanker!

Now I see "Similar threads" shows the following thread. (Had searched before posting though somehow did not hit the following):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...unch-wait.html

This may be merged if mods find appropriate.
Old 25th September 2011, 22:16   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
With a couple of new SUV launches round the corner, with an interest in buying one, the question that comes to my mind:

How does one make buying decision for a new launch, i.e. ones with no ownership reviews? Would the known-devil - unknown-angel dilemma favour time tested products with known niggles?

1. Specifications of a new launch would be known, though car is such a product, whose reliability and performance becomes known only after use for a while. The early adopters make this huge favour on the followers by providing the same. Still, what is a good time frame since launch, for one to get decent reviews?

2. You associate some weight to the brand and their past history of delivering good products. There might be others with reputation of getting it right only the third time. But there could be let-downs by good brands as well. How does one judge this?

3. Can one factor in aspects like whether a new launch is a totally new platform by the manufacturer or whether it's a variant of a time tested one - the variation is at which level - engine? other mechanics etc.?

4. See it from manufacturer's point of view. How would they promote initial sales - besides advt campaigns? Would they offer discounts to early buyers? Does it make a good buy to early adopters? Have there been examples in the past where early buyers had an advantage?

5. Compare this with other walks of products. There will be queues to buy new launches from brands like (say) Apple. People will be crazy to become first buyers of products from certain brands. Is that kind of craze seen in car buyers? Not sure - at least by serious buyers who buy for long term ownership and can't afford to switch after short term ownership.

(Aferthought: Perhaps this sounds like comparing apples and oranges. The difference might stem from inherent differences in reliability characteristics of solidstate devices vs an automobile and also from price tags.)
Well SUV is an aspirational product in India rather real time frequent/daily utility requirement. Most modern SUVs Fortuner /Aria/Captiva and the likes are extreme bought by urban people with larger attribute big size is prestige.

Out of the 1000 Fortuners sold each month 90% are destined as rich boys's urban toy with some occasional holiday hill driving / beach doughnut making off road play etc. Initial product Niggles OR any serious QC issues won't affect these buyers in India.

For someone who wants to stretch his budget twice, naturally need to wait and see as this is no 500 dollar Apple ipod /pad/phone gadget where it serves daily need and has impeccable track record set by Apple as manufacturer.

It boils down to how affordable you can be if you turnout to have a lemon in your hand. With Indian manufacturers QC standards and no Statuary recall laws it is prudent to watch how a 15-18L onroad price new SUV performs in action and then buy it is my humble opinion.

Last edited by harimakesh : 25th September 2011 at 22:19.
Old 25th September 2011, 22:24   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well i view is this depends mostly on individual's personality and preferences, also the comfort factor with certain manufacturers helps to a certain extent.

As i thumb rule i don't buy the newly launched car immediately, usually wait until some sort of reviews are out. The only exception to this rule would probably be with manufacturers on whom i have confidence that the product they launch will be of a certain quality levels and maybe worth taking risk. The choice of manufacturer is very subjective.
Old 25th September 2011, 22:42   #57
BHPian

Quote:
@mayuresh: My few cents here. I would prefer to wait and watch till the reviews are out and if these reviews mention any shortcomings, it would lead to a new version of the vehicle being rolled out with all the reviews (valid ones ofcourse) being incorporated. That way, we are sure that the issues which initial version had would have been taken care off and also we would be getting any additional features as an add-on.
Old 25th September 2011, 23:06   #58
BHPian

Quote:
The brand name associated with the vehicle tells you a lot about what to expect. Eg. With Maruti comes a solid authorized service station netowrk. While the vehicle is an entirely new model (i.e. not a facelift for an older model), you would get more attention from the manufacturer and you would be notified of any recalls.

Often, a model sold internationally when launched in India, offers a different engine but with more-or-less the same structural and basic components.

Quote:
A 6-month ownership review should tell you what to expect from the vehicle. At a minimum, 3-months of testing will tell you about all the issues a vehicle can cause. You are likely to see a waiting period that can get you through 3 months for most popular vehicle brands.

Quote:
There's a risk with every new model but with the backing of a good brand, you know your problems will be attended to. If it comes to the worse, getting after-market fittings while voiding the warranty are what come to mind (Eg. head lamps, sealant etc.).

Quote:
The Lexus ES350 was built on the Camry platform and while someone who has driven a Camry will tell you about the noise level and the lack of driving pleasure, a Lexus ES350 user will tell you the exact opposite (I have driven both, and can tell the Lexus ES350 feels distinctively more luxurious despite sharing the same platform).

Quote:
Buyers of outgoing models often see more discounts than buyers of early models. In fact, the number of buyers despite the waiting period itself would discourage manufacturers and dealers from offering discounts.

Quote:
Most people change their vehicles after about 3-5 years. I have just finished the 7th year of ownership of my Maruti Esteem and have only been hanging on to it because I'm planning a rather long trip out of the country and will be buying after my return.

Quote:
In automobiles, pricier does not mean that it lasts longer. One can still find faithful Maruti 800s on the streets of India despite being one of the cheapest offerings from Maruti Suzuki. Price does determine the comfort level within the vehicle, especially when it comes from the same brand. Between different brands, the price tag does not tell you much.
Old 26th September 2011, 08:15   #59
Senior - BHPian

Personally I would like to got for the tried and tested ones. The new launches which mosty are tuned for the Indian conditions do come with some niggles which are taken care of only after new owner's feedback. But generally people buy because of the brand hype, advertising glitz etc. For me its a wait, watch and buy option.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 09:50   #60
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

in general it is sensible to wait and watch before jumping into a purchase.
the credibility of the company plays a huge role in ones decision anyway. After sales support plays a vital role too.

If I were to buy something like an XUV500 then I would most certainly buy the extended warranty etc along with the vehicle. If they dont offer a comprehensive extended warranty I wont buy it. I would look at the extreme fine print on the warranty too.
And I would maintain a detailed record of correspondence and feedback on the newly launched vehicle were I to buy one.
This way, there is a paper trail which one can invoke if need be, suppose something were to go wrong - god forbid.

The last thing one wants is to be a live guinea pig!

Bottomline - do you want to be a leader or a follower?
Most of us would probably prefer the latter because it is really hard earned cash we are spending for a vehicle!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th September 2011 at 09:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks