Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 23:31   #1
BHPian

The flying car - One for India coming in 2012

I found this article today in TOI - how logical is this in our traffic scenario.

Link to Times of India Article

Ahmedabad: NRI businessman Subhash Shihora’s wife and sixmonth-old son were not allowed to board a flight from Delhi to Ahmedabad despite having a valid ticket because of a technical glitch in 2008. Shihora, a major stake-holder in the Rs 2 lakh crore Urok consultancy firm in
the UK, was so angry that he sued the airline for Rs 21 crore. He also wanted to ensure that it never happened again. And he found a way out — Shihora has become the first Indian to buy the world’s first commercial flying car called ‘Transition’ from a company in Massachusetts, US.
Shihora now wants the car to be parked at his farmhouse off SG Road in Ahmedabad. But he fears getting permission may not be easy. He will need clearances from not just aviation agencies, but security agencies as well and has started talking to officials.
“I fly down to Ahmedabad at least six times a year and then fly to Mumbai and Rajkot. I had taken a test drive of the flying car. By pressing just one button, the car turns into an aircraft. I have started taking flying lessons to get the licence,” says Shihora. He booked the car in 2009 and will get delivery in 2012. Shihora, who moved to UK in 1998, booked it for Rs 1 crore and will pay another Rs 1 crore by the time it is delivered. “With all taxes and duties paid, the car will cost me around Rs 6 crore in Ahmedabad.”
The car, designed with foldable wings, successfully completed its
first flight on March 5, 2009 and recently got clearance from the US Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration. The two-seater vehicle falls in the light aircraft category and requires a private pilot licence to fly it. The vehicle, which is big enough to fit into a home garage and runs on unleaded petrol, can travel up to 450 miles and can fly at 115 mph.
Colonel VK Nagar, an aviation industry expert, said, “Directorate General of Civil Aviation and Airports Authority of India (AAI) may give permission under the micro light aircraft category. But a vehicle that can both be driven on roads and can be taken to the skies from anywhere may create issues with security agencies.”

P.S. Mods if this does not belong here please move it wherever deemed fit

Last edited by GTO : 11th May 2011 at 15:38. Reason: Please include the source link for ALL content that you take from other websites
Old 9th May 2011, 23:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: The flying car - One for India coming in 2012

I too read this article in TOI online and my first reaction was,how come this fancy idea has not hit Ambanis,Tatas and other leading industrialists in India?
If this happens in 2010,it will surely be a rage.
Old 10th May 2011, 00:04   #3
BHPian

Here is the TOI article:In a first, NRG businessman buys flying car - The Times of India
It has a small picture but does not do justice to this concept. Would love to see some more pictures of it or a video of it in action
Old 10th May 2011, 10:02   #4
BHPian

Here is more information about the car/aircraft

Terrafugia - Transition<sup>®</sup> the Roadable Light Sport Aircraft : The Vehicle

A small pdf spec sheet also available here

Looks like a good concept, but a long way to go before this mode of transport becomes common.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 10th May 2011 at 10:05.
Old 10th May 2011, 10:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Todays TOI carries a detailed report on the above mentioned car.
IMO 6crores would be too expensive. I understand that the making cost is somewhere around 2 crores, and the remaining would be for taxes.
However the killer in the deal is, he still does not have a green signal from the aviation authorities! So much for proving one's point! Boys and their toys!
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 10:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

But like all gujjus traveling, he will not be able to take on many suitcases, gifts & khakhra in the car
Old 18th May 2011, 22:41   #7
BHPian

But this still can't do what I want (not that I will buy if it does!). You still need a runway to land this car. I would want to ply on the road and if see messy traffic ahead, just take this thing up and fly off. With an awesome invention like terrafugia, am sure that day too is not too far.
Old 19th May 2011, 16:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
But this still can't do what I want (not that I will buy if it does!). You still need a runway to land this car. I would want to ply on the road and if see messy traffic ahead, just take this thing up and fly off. With an awesome invention like terrafugia, am sure that day too is not too far.
i read the Terrafugia launch is in 2011, would you know if bookings have started and what is the cost?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks