Team-BHP - Export of NANO has begun?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Export of NANO has begun? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/100920-export-nano-has-begun.html)

This is the first time I am reading about NANO exports! Any TATA insider have any additional information?

Mods, please merge/move as appropriate.

Quote:

NEW DELHI (Dow Jones)--Tata Motors Ltd. (TTM) has started exporting the Nano minicar from April, a move that will likely help India's largest auto maker by sales further lift sales of the world's cheapest car and reduce its sole dependence on the home market.

The Mumbai-based company, which controls the Jaguar and Land Rover luxury car brands, exported 498 units of the Nano in the past month, according to data issued Monday by the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers, the local automotive industry lobby group.

When contacted, Debasis Ray, a spokesman for Tata Motors, confirmed that the company has started overseas shipments of the Nano, but said further details will be disclosed at a later date.

Executives at two parts suppliers to Tata Motors told Dow Jones Newswires in March that the company may start exporting the Nano to Indonesia, Thailand, Sri Lanka and Africa by December.

The oval-shaped Nano comes with a 624-cubic-centimeter, rear gasoline engine and currently costs INR140,880 ($3,151) for the base model at showrooms in New Delhi.

Tata Motors has said previously it plans to sell the Nano in developing as well as developed markets.
article link - Tata Motors Starts Exports Of World's Cheapest Car From April - WSJ.com

Thats a good news for all Indians and the cute Nano. Nano has a lot of potential in areas like Sri Lanka and Malaysia where prospective buyers are much like the target buyers in India. The real test will surely be the Nano Europa sales. Its quite difficult to get a bite in that segment, but for sure Tata isn't new to these markets. There experience with a decent export business in Europe will help them a lot.

Long way to go Nano!

Nice to see Nano serving people in other countries. Do the monthly car sales figures which were about 10k for Nano, include the exports or they are just the domestic ones?

From Bloomberg News:

By Siddharth Philip
May 9 (Bloomberg) -- Tata Motors Ltd. will begin selling
its Nano car in Sri Lanka from this month as the automaker seeks
to expand sales of the world’s cheapest car outside India.
Diesel & Motor Engineering Plc, Tata Motors’ Sri Lankan
dealer, aims to begin sales of the car from May 28, Nadeesha
Fernando, a spokeswoman for the Colombo-based company, said by
phone today. Diesel & Motor has started taking orders for the
car, priced from 925,000 rupees ($8,426), she said.
Tata Motors may expand Nano’s sales to other Asian
countries such as Thailand and Bangladesh, Chief Executive
Officer Carl-Peter Forster said in January. The automaker sold
10,012 Nanos last month, the highest after opening a factory
with a capacity to build 250,000 models a year.
The company exported 498 Nanos in April, according to data
released by Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers in New
Delhi today. The industry group didn’t identify the overseas
markets for the car. Debasis Ray, a spokesman of Tata Motors,
declined to comment on the exports to Sri Lanka.
Sales of the Nano plunged to a record low of 509 units in
November after at least three cars caught fire and customers
faced difficulties obtaining loans to fund their purchases.
Sales rebounded after the company offered lengthier warranties
and easier financing.
Tata Motors fell 1.4 percent to 1,183.5 rupees at 1:25 p.m.
in Mumbai, after declining as much as 2.6 percent. Diesel &
Motor was little changed at 1,500 rupees in Colombo trading.
The version with air-conditioning and power windows will be
priced at 1.1 million rupees in Sri Lanka. The same model
retails at 211,902 rupees ($4,744) in Mumbai, according to Tata
Motors’ website.

A development that was just waiting to happen clap: Great news! I reiterate that the Nano has equal, or more, potential in international markets as it does on the domestic front. No one can build a car as cheap as Tata has; this car is extremely relevant to other developing countries as well. Period. What's more, Tata is rightly looking at the Nano as a "platform" that can be modified & fine-tuned to local tastes. The Tata Pixel is a recent example. Bring the variants, especially the diesels, on Tata!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saanil (Post 2344805)
Do the monthly car sales figures which were about 10k for Nano, include the exports or they are just the domestic ones?

Only domestic. Some manufacturers provide export numbers, but I don't include them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2347467)
A development that was just waiting to happen clap: Great news! I reiterate that the Nano has equal, or more, potential in international markets as it does on the domestic front. No one can build a car as cheap as Tata has; this car is extremely relevant to other developing countries as well. Period. What's more, Tata is rightly looking at the Nano as a "platform" that can be modified & fine-tuned to local tastes. The Tata Pixel is a recent example. Bring the variants, especially the diesels, on Tata!

Absolutely. IMO Nano has more potential in international market than in India because at least now majority Indians seem to have a social status concerns about Nano. A perception not helped a bit by Nano's Engine sound either :).

However once TATA brings in the Lateral upgrades with more refinement in the engine, A/T transmission, diesel, etc. and starts exports, NANO has great potential.

Great news for the Nano! Perhaps they will take some feeback onboard for the Nano Europa. Some of our clients in Europe have been waiting for the launch there; one of them was eager to see it in flesh (well, metal) when he visited here last month. I have done my bit in 'selling' the car to him.

I hope Tata launches the A/T and a diesel; well if I am hoping should I hope for a diesel A/T Nano?