Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2011, 14:32   #1
BHPian

Is Skoda planning to launch Fabia Scout in India?

Read it on Motoroids that Skoda may be gearing up for the Fabia Scout launch in India. Also there have been an incident (10th May, 2011) of spotting a test mule around Pune. So whats your take on Fabia Scout?

EDIT : More detailed pictures available on Motorbeam

Courtesy: Pics from Motoroids.

Is Skoda planning to launch Fabia Scout in India?-skodafabiascout3.jpg

Test mule snap from IndiaOnCars.com, link to original post.

Is Skoda planning to launch Fabia Scout in India?-may102011skodafabiascouttestmulespyshot.jpg

Clearly shows the MH-14 passing!

Mods: I didn't found Fabia Scout thread anywhere, so just starting the new one. Please merge/move it as desired.

Last edited by GTO : 13th May 2011 at 09:30. Reason: Adding link to Motorbeam as well
Old 11th May 2011, 14:44   #2
BHPian

Re: Is Skoda planning to launch Fabia Scout in India?

so what are the main differences between the current Fabia sold in India and Fabia Scout?

From the pictures it seems to be taller, and has got more of a mini SUVish feel with those roof luggage bars.
Old 11th May 2011, 15:20   #3
BHPian

Skoda Scout is going to be roaring success, if priced reasonably that is (5.5-7L). It is more suited to Indian road conditions and will be more durable. It will be God sent for the young adventurers while still offering well crafted comfortable interiors. I expect it to sell 4K/month at least.
Old 11th May 2011, 15:49   #4
BHPian

Actually, it makes for a very good car. A taller and more aggressive Fabia will benefit many. Like ajay0612 mentioned, suits India more than any other market

It will also help differentiate the Fabia from the rest of the current crop of hatchbacks. Good sales numbers are assured provided Skoda price it just a little above the standard Fabia. I just hope VW brings in the Crosspolo as well
Old 11th May 2011, 16:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Saw this car testing on the Mumbai-Pune expressway last week.Was sustaining serious speeds. The Scout's just another wannabe soft-roader. Its just the aggressive body-kit and nothing else.No technical changes whatsoever.

Hope it doesn't meet the same fate as the Palio Adventure!
Old 11th May 2011, 16:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Saw this car testing on the Mumbai-Pune expressway last week.Was sustaining serious speeds. The Scout's just another wannabe soft-roader. Its just the aggressive body-kit and nothing else.No technical changes whatsoever.

Hope it doesn't meet the same fate as the Palio Adventure!
Atleast some extra inches of ground clearance? That should do the trick. Some extra CL and styling tweaks will have me lining up as well. Will also help driving in the rough roads in Chennai
Old 11th May 2011, 17:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
Atleast some extra inches of ground clearance? That should do the trick. Some extra CL and styling tweaks will have me lining up as well.
None,whatsoever. Its only new bumpers,alloys,body claddings and roof rails.
Old 11th May 2011, 17:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
None,whatsoever. Its only new bumpers,alloys,body claddings and roof rails.
Ah..That's bad news. Just some plastic cladding and roof rails is what Mahindra added on the Logan and renamed it Verito
Old 11th May 2011, 17:21   #9
BHPian

In some of the Scout pics, there is a 3rd row glass. Like in a station wagon. This spy shot does not seem to have it. So, it may not be the actual 'Scout'.
I, for one, am a sucker for sporty station wagon. When in USA, lusted after the Subaru Outback, now owning Palio Adventure. If the 'actual' Scout came with a good diesel, I will be very very tempted.
Old 11th May 2011, 18:01   #10
Team-BHP Support

Doesn't it look like a cross between Fabia and Yeti (at least by looks)?!

It could be a MUV sorta offering.
Old 11th May 2011, 19:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

It has a very X1ish bumper design.I dont see why would anyone spend a premium to buy the scout,if it only has some cosmetic changes to it.I dont think i would spend extra money on that.Although someone who might often need to make a routine trip to the outskirts or to the factory/farmhouse might find it useful.
Old 13th May 2011, 10:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Doesn't it look like a cross between Fabia and Yeti (at least by looks)?!

It could be a MUV sorta offering.
It is indeed a crossover, a 4X4 vehicle. From the international reviews this wouldn't be much different than Fabia except its chunkier bumpers and bodyside cladding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
In some of the Scout pics, there is a 3rd row glass. Like in a station wagon. This spy shot does not seem to have it. So, it may not be the actual 'Scout'.
I, for one, am a sucker for sporty station wagon. When in USA, lusted after the Subaru Outback, now owning Palio Adventure. If the 'actual' Scout came with a good diesel, I will be very very tempted.
There is some confusion here, the Fabia with that 3rd row glass is Fabia Scout Estate or just Fabia Estate. Well, I'm no expert in this regards but what I understood from some research, it looks like Fabi Scout Estate is an estate varient over Fabia Scout. Just like our Indigo Marina over Indica.

But one thing is clear the model we are discussion here is a Fabia Scout and not the Estate.
iSpoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 14:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpoke View Post
It is indeed a crossover, a 4X4 vehicle.

There is some confusion here, the Fabia with that 3rd row glass is Fabia Scout Estate or just Fabia Estate. ....

But one thing is clear the model we are discussion here is a Fabia Scout and not the Estate.
a 4X4 hatch

This definitely isn't the Estate. Its just the Fabia with some extra fittings, that can even done aftermarket. Which means it wont offer any more space. To qualify as a offroader, will this atleast have different suspension set up?! Will Skoda put in that effort? What numbers are they expecting. Mind you, we are talking about a company that has removed rear wipers to cut cost. Fabia already comes with a 1.6L engine. What more do the power seekers of the world want?

Conclusion: The picture is damn nice (lovely color, and those Xenons!), but I dont think anything's cooking! Atleast not in this form.

The Skoda website does have this page though.
Old 13th May 2011, 17:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
a 4X4 hatch

Conclusion: The picture is damn nice (lovely color, and those Xenons!), but I dont think anything's cooking! Atleast not in this form.

The Skoda website does have this page though.
Have you checked that Motorbeam link?

Its clear that pictures are taken around Mumbai/Pune, you can see the BEST red bus. Also there are two of them, one clearly showing the Scout badge on back. Now I'm not claiming that its gonna launch on so and so date in India. Who knows it could be just on test for some bad terrain, rather then creating artificial terrain somewhere in Germany/Czech its quite economical to test it on our roads!
The point is something is cooking, and this thread exists on t-bhp forum!

Last edited by iSpoke : 13th May 2011 at 18:03.
Old 13th May 2011, 18:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think in India they may just try to creat some buzz with some extra fittings on the existing fabia, just to get a bit of enthusiast's attention. Unless its got extra space and higher ground clearance, I dont think It will have any impact to the 500-700 sales that Fabia is currently selling.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed