Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 21:03   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda plans diesel City to beat heat from competition EDIT: It's still 2+Years aw

These two words - 'Honda' & 'Diesel', always make me uncomfortable. I'm not saying that they shouldn't do it but

1) They haven't yet brought the 2.2 motor to India (Civic/Accord/CR-V)
2) They have dropped other diesel plans in the past. Around 2006-2007, they were working on a V6 diesel motor but eventually stopped that work.
Old 13th May 2011, 21:17   #32
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda plans diesel City to beat heat from competition EDIT: It's still 2+Years aw

2 years! Thats quite a joke. Is it that they are not getting the pace in which our industry is evolving?
They could have actually made the CR-V a hot seller with the 2.2 diesel. Instead they decided to kill off the product. Maybe its ignorance, or it could be that they're still in recession.
Old 13th May 2011, 21:19   #33
BHPian

2+ years is a long time considering the rate at which the Indian automotive scene is growing. Can't they buy out diesel engines from some other source. Like Maruti and many others do with fiat ??
Old 13th May 2011, 21:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

The test of a diesel CRV was reported on the forum some year or two back. So they do have an engine undergoing tests in India.

They just want to live up to their holier than thou image & is the reason they give out all of that trash about taking 2 years to develop an engine....are they primitive ? No I do not think so - then why can they not get the diesel ?? Pathetic strategy to put it mildly.

Toyota which is their CHIEF COMPETITOR has sailed on success because of the diesel powered Fortuner..is Honda "really that Naive" I think not.

So they have done a lot of wrongs like pricing of their cars, not getting in diesels, pretending to be holier than thou etc. It is only going to cost them numbers - which is what the game here is ALL about.

Wake up to reality HONDA

BEFORE you miss the bus !!!!!

Cheers
Old 13th May 2011, 21:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

Their 2.2 engine is quite decent but not the best diesel engine out there, almost all the european makers have better +- 2 litre diesel powerplants. The other major issue is they insist on making the diesel engines in Japan making a Honda diesel variant prohibitively expensive.

A major reason why the previous generation Civic became a success in Europe was due to the 1.7 diesel they sourced from Isuzu. High time they swallow their pride and false notion of superiority and get their diesels from another manufacturer.
Old 13th May 2011, 22:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Finally some news from Honda that they have plans for a diesel engine in near future. If they are developing an engine from scrap then this will definitely take more than two years. But I highly doubt that situation will remain same after two years. Diesel prices may be deregulated and then one may not prefer a diesel over petrol. But still it will be interesting after all it will be a Honda engine.

PS- Honda should concentrate more on marketing/advertising of the Honda City to increase its sales. I can hardly see its advertisement on TV even after drop in sales. May be Honda has faith in its fans.
Old 13th May 2011, 22:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

Too little and too late.
Are they planning to quit motor making and foray into something else, like H-pad, H-phone or H-pod?
Or maybe they feel that anyways industry is doomed since the oil is going to dry up soon.
What are they thinking?
Old 13th May 2011, 22:59   #38
Senior - BHPian

A premium of about a lakh over the petrol version will push the ANHC into the next segment pricing! Oops, I don't think the Diesel is going to help bring in the numbers for Honda. And we would have to wait for 2 more years to see that absurd priced city to be launched?
Old 15th May 2011, 10:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

Why do I get the feeling that Honda has shot itself in the leg ?? They have lived too long with the superiority complex that no one can touch them. They have produced some remarkable cars with engines to match, but then they got carried away & priced their products way above justifiable numbers.

Now they are up against the German brigade with brilliant diesels. IF they do not come up with a good diesel that is sensibly priced & works well, I can only see the sales going down & down.

They have the New Verna Diesel & Petrol, and the Vento Diesel / Petrol, soon the Redesigned Fiesta, all of which are running great diesel options.

So wake up to reality before reality hits you in the face.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 15th May 2011 at 10:25.
Old 15th May 2011, 14:10   #40
Senior - BHPian

Honda going Mitsubishi way. Today, we are asking, "where is Mitsubishi"? Three years later, we may ask, " where is Honda"?
Old 18th May 2011, 21:24   #41
BHPian

Folks, I guess we are writing off Honda too soon. Let's not forget they have been selling cars in various segments in different parts of the world without a diesel for a long time now. The 2.2 CTDI was introduced just a couple of years back.

The heart of the Honda design is the engine. The entire car is built around the engine, in their own words. So, I guess they would be reluctant to buy-out an engine much like other manufacturers. They would want to built it ground-up just like the way they want it.

And when Honda sets about doing something, they really pull it off. Just FYI, when AVL sold the design of the 2.2L engine and block few years back, there were 3 major buyers. Honda, Tata and Mahindra. While we know how the tuning of the engine has been by both the Indian firms, Honda have done an impressive job. Their diesels are the pick of the range wherever they are offered, as already indicated in another post earlier.

I am sure Honda understands the need for diesels more than any of us. Every company has a strategy and budget constraint to work with. May be they see the importance of the small car (read Brio) more than this. Their resource allocation would be skewed towards the small car project.
Old 19th May 2011, 03:49   #42
BHPian

Oops, Did You just miss the Bus Honda?

2 Years, the Automotive scene could change by then and so could the user preferences.

Also, If the current VMT of the city costs close to the new Fluidic Verna CRDI SX, and the City diesel bound to be priced above it, Wouldn't the Verna RB Win Hands down even in Today's scenario with All its bells and whistles?
Old 20th May 2011, 11:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
A premium of about a lakh over the petrol version will push the ANHC into the next segment pricing! Oops, I don't think the Diesel is going to help bring in the numbers for Honda. And we would have to wait for 2 more years to see that absurd priced city to be launched?
+1 to that. The ANHC is already ridiculously priced. The Hyundai Verna diesels are in a similar price range, are well built, handle better than the outgoing Verna (though nowhere as good as the City), have the new superbly equipped and put togrther interiors, and also look great.

Hyundai has a good image in India, and is gaining a good rep abroad too. Honda seems to be in la la land, disconnected from reality. The reality is that Honda petrol engines are really good, but that alone is no reason for the ridiculous premium.

Methinks they should stick to building petrols, outsource the diesel engines and re-think their pricing strategy before it's too late.
Old 20th May 2011, 12:03   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

In the portal it's written that the diesel City is confirmed, but in the forum here nothing is given about it.
Am i missing something? Help!
Old 20th May 2011, 13:12   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
In the portal it's written that the diesel City is confirmed, but in the forum here nothing is given about it.
Am i missing something? Help!
Go a few pages back and you will find links to pages that contain the press release by Honda, in which they have stated that works for the Diesel City have begun, but it will not be in the market at least for 2 more years
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks