Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2013, 14:39   #91
BHPian

Re: Honda plans diesel City to beat heat from competition EDIT: It's still 2+Years aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshblue View Post
I have booked a Honda City MT AVN model and expecting delivery in June. Meanwhile, I need opinion from fellow BHPians on whether it is advisable to wait some more time just in case Honda comes out with a Diesel version. I would also like to know whether the current model of City which was probably launched in 2008 is likely to continue for some more time or I am in for an outdated car as soon as I buy it. Thanks.
As per the reports the new gen Honda City will not be launched before mid-2014(maybe even later).I think as per their plans they will first introduce the next generation Jazz in late 2013 or early 2014 and then the City will be launched.
Knowing Honda I don't think they will keep the current City even after launching the new generation (a la Ford Classic).Also,now they have Amaze below the City.
So,if you will have to wait a year or so for the latest model.
Marauder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 14:48   #92
BHPian

Re: Honda plans diesel City to beat heat from competition EDIT: It's still 2+Years aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
The general consensus in the market is that a new Model is going to be out pretty soon. I don't know, though, if it'll be out this year or the next.

As for the diesel, they will come out with it but no one knows when.
I feel its unlikely that the new model will come out soon. There are no test mules caught anywhere in South East Asian markets. In some forums, CRider, the new model just below Civic was being mistaken for City, but now it seems to be only for China. Plus Honda City's cycle is typically 6 years - the last two were from 1996-2002, and from 2002-2008 and that makes it possible to be launched in the second half of 2014.

Having said that, Honda will not come to the market with petrol only City. The next City will have a diesel option, and that will have to wait until 1.5 d-TEC reports are out (the diesel for City might have a higher CC engine as well) and they might give it a miss for a while like they did for Civic.
Old 8th May 2013, 12:40   #93
BHPian

I am thinking of gifting City petrol MT with sunroof for parents on retirement. Is it worth waiting for Diesel? I hope maintenence of diesel is not a deal breaker here? Any thoughts? I assume new diesel engines are almost equally refined as petrol?
Old 8th May 2013, 14:02   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayrec View Post
I am thinking of gifting City petrol MT with sunroof for parents on retirement. Is it worth waiting for Diesel? I hope maintenence of diesel is not a deal breaker here? Any thoughts? I assume new diesel engines are almost equally refined as petrol?
I'm assuming:
  • Usage for retired parents may not be very high
  • Diesel with the same features such as sunroof, when it arrives, i.e., will be higher priced
  • Diesel City is still more than a year away
  • Petrol-diesel price difference will come down further

Given these points, it might be worthwhile to go for a petrol model now, rather than wait for the diesel more than a year later.

Cannot comment about the maintenance for new age diesels, but the refinement (at least for cars in the same segment such as Vento etc.) is still lower than petrol. I personally do not prefer a heavy shuddering clutch, and a shuddering gear stick. But that's my view.
Tats07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 14:06   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
I'm assuming:
  • Usage for retired parents may not be very high
  • Diesel with the same features such as sunroof, when it arrives, i.e., will be higher priced
  • Diesel City is still more than a year away
  • Petrol-diesel price difference will come down further
Given these points, it might be worthwhile to go for a petrol model now, rather than wait for the diesel more than a year later.

Cannot comment about the maintenance for new age diesels, but the refinement (at least for cars in the same segment such as Vento etc.) is still lower than petrol. I personally do not prefer a heavy shuddering clutch, and a shuddering gear stick. But that's my view.
Fair enough. I wanted to have a second opinion. I too thought of a petrol for parents because of its refinement, low maintenance. For diesel engine, I guess usage should be considerably high. Thanks buddy.
Old 8th May 2013, 18:49   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshblue View Post
I have booked a Honda City MT AVN model and expecting delivery in June. Meanwhile, I need opinion from fellow BHPians on whether it is advisable to wait some more time just in case Honda comes out with a Diesel version. I would also like to know whether the current model of City which was probably launched in 2008 is likely to continue for some more time or I am in for an outdated car as soon as I buy it. Thanks.
Most probably by next year we should have the diesel City out with updated exteriors. But chances are very bleak for the current year.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks