Old 25th January 2006, 19:33   #1
Team-BHP Support

S Class and M Class launched

Prices look dopey esp M cLass

Maybe the Old Man knows real picture

http://www.business-standard.com/com...&autono=212856

Merc S-Class to get cheaper by Rs 15-20 lakh

Prabodh Chandrasekhar / Mumbai January 25, 2006

DaimlerChrysler’s new Mercedes-Benz S-Class (S 350 L) will be cheaper by about Rs 15-20 lakh by the end of calendar 2006 when the company starts assembling the luxury sedan in the country.

At present, S 350 L (petrol version) is imported as a completely built unit (CBU) and is priced in the range of Rs 70.4 lakh-Rs 90 lakh (ex-factory Mumbai). The car was launched in Mumbai on Friday.

“We are making some modifications at our Pune assembly plant to fit in the new S-Class. Once that is completed by the third quarter of 2006-07, we will start assembling the car in India, which would make it cheaper by 20 per cent,” said a senior DaimlerChrysler India official.

The all-new S-Class, considered the benchmark for luxury sedans, was launched at the Frankfurt Auto Show in September 2005.

“The company expects to sell about 180 new S-Classes in 2006,” said a source close to the company. Last year, DaimlerChrysler sold 144 old variants of S Class (S- 320), priced at about 68 lakh.

Daimler also plans to introduce the diesel variant of new S-Class by the second quarter of this year. “We do not plan to asseble the diesel variant in India,” said a senior DaimlerChrysler official.

The new S-Class marks the debut of a new feature - the night view system that uses infrared lights (invisible to human eye) to illuminate the road ahead and beam back an image on the instrument cluster.

This makes it easier to see pedestrians, animals or any other obstacles that are not illuminated by headlights. The powerful V8 engine accelerates the vehicle to a speed of up to 100 km per hour within 5.4 seconds. The older S-Class took 6.3 seconds to reach the speed.

There are also other optional features such as advanced radar system, automated acceleration and braking controls.

DaimlerChrysler is also set to launch its new M-Class, the sports utility vehicle this week. The M-Class diesel will be imported as CBU and priced at about Rs 70 lakh.

“We have no plans to assemble the M-Class in India, unless significant volumes are sold in the country,” said a DaimlerChrysler official.
Old 25th January 2006, 21:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

This made my day! Well it surely will make my 2007!!
15-20 Lakhs cheaper, this is grrr8 news....the S-class seems in close reach now @ 55 lakhs or so its a steal,specially the new S. Hats off to MBIL, they have made a very smart move. I guess it was long due as the price diff btwn the E and S was way to much for old E-class owners to jump up to the S. Now the company has made it easier for MB owners in India to keep climbing the "MBclass" ladder.
Old 25th January 2006, 21:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

no no..this is crap it cant be..the new S even when made here in India would still be about 70 lakhs with the options it didnt have before..if you currently want one its about 82-85lakhs thats what TNT told me..so we are waiting for it to come down to 70..but the car wouldnt cost 55 in any which way or form..

ok tell me wasnt the old S made here?

it was if i remember correctly..if it was then..how can the price go down..the govt hasnt adjusted the duty structure and in europe the car costs more than the old one..makes no sense to me..

Last edited by 1Day : 25th January 2006 at 21:49.
Old 25th January 2006, 22:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Maybe this was just a price correction.IMHO,The old S350, was way too overpriced for a 3.7 SOHC V6 car, compared to its international prices, even for our country. It could be that DCIL might just offer the S500 (S550?) now for the price of the old S350.

@1day : Even I used to think that the S was brought down as SKD kits. Maybe they are shifting to CKDs.

Last edited by sajo : 25th January 2006 at 22:41.
Old 25th January 2006, 23:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

in Europe a similarly priced S350 would run you about 86k Euros with VAT, if you remove that, multiply the amount by 1.66 cuz the duty I beleive works out to 65% on assembled units, and then multiply that by 53.25 which is the current rate of the euro you would get the price of the S sold in india...so I wouldnt say that the car is over priced in india as compared to the rest of the world..its just that the S is over priced period..with whatever it has it still needs to be 10k USD/Euro cheaper than it is..look at the similarly equiped 7 and A8 they would be cheaper by atleast 10k..and if you look at LS4xx, MB should bow down to their knees and ask for forgiveness..the new LS460 is going to be hot..but since the duty on assembled cars is less in india..S350 will sell more than the LS and also because of the image factor..

Last edited by 1Day : 25th January 2006 at 23:17.
Old 26th January 2006, 00:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

One thing i am curious to know is how reliably those new safety gizmos will work in India. The conditions of our roads will test the gizmos to their limits everytime the car is driven.

1day, the S may be priced more than the 7series and the A8 but its also a newer generation, right? And in France, the diesel version of the S is priced at abt 85-86k euros...not the petrol.
Old 26th January 2006, 14:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Let me clear the air of doubt.

The S-class till May will be available as a CBU. This is the S320CDi, the S500 and S350L. If you want delivery by May, you can book the S350L at the CBU price, which is Rs. 90 lakhs. If you want the CKD, you can book that too, but deliveries aren't until June. Its price is Rs. 70.43lakh, ex-showroom Mumbai. The S320CDi and S500 will be available as CBUs only. Engine and gearbox will be imported for the S350L even when as CKD.

Distronic, night vision and HUD won't be available for CKD assembly.

M-class is priced between Rs. 55 and 60 lakh for ML320CDi and ML350. These is ex-showroom price band for entire country.

Revv
Old 26th January 2006, 15:23   #8
BANNED

hey guys here r some pics enjoy
http://rapidshare.de/files/11856816/thief_v22_.zip.html

password for the rar file jst copy the link in the pw option
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/thiefsworld/

Last edited by thief : 26th January 2006 at 15:27.
Old 26th January 2006, 20:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster
Let me clear the air of doubt.

The S-class till May will be available as a CBU. This is the S320CDi, the S500 and S350L. If you want delivery by May, you can book the S350L at the CBU price, which is Rs. 90 lakhs. If you want the CKD, you can book that too, but deliveries aren't until June. Its price is Rs. 70.43lakh, ex-showroom Mumbai. The S320CDi and S500 will be available as CBUs only. Engine and gearbox will be imported for the S350L even when as CKD.

Distronic, night vision and HUD won't be available for CKD assembly.

M-class is priced between Rs. 55 and 60 lakh for ML320CDi and ML350. These is ex-showroom price band for entire country.

Revv
Are you sure about the 70.43L price tag, the time I was at TNT about last week of dec, he had no clue..but if thats the case..I better tell dad to book the car..do you know what colors are available, or are they again..screwing us SKD guys with 2-3 colors to choose from..thats just plain stupid..

anyhow..
this is a big jump from the old one...dont you think..6.5l thats about 7500 euro price jump over the previous model in europe..
Old 27th January 2006, 02:50   #10
BHPian

so what happes to the e class and the c class.. are they bound to ger cheaper. the m class needs a new stratergy to sell now since the porsche is on the anil with the cayenne...!
Old 27th January 2006, 05:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing4cure
so what happes to the e class and the c class.. are they bound to ger cheaper. the m class needs a new stratergy to sell now since the porsche is on the anil with the cayenne...!
nothing is getting cheaper my friend..this is miss information..S will never cost 55L with the current duty structure..

its 70..otherwise its 90..
Old 27th January 2006, 05:35   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Well i think what mercedes is trying to do is create a pattern of pricing between each model
C-class @ 25,E@40 and now the S@55-60
So the price diff is 15-20 lakhs as u move up.
Old 27th January 2006, 21:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

I doubt the S will ever be priced in 55-60 category..the diff there will always be 25-30 l and not 12-20..

S can not be priced @ 55-60 until govt has told mercedes that they are going to reduce duties for skd..
Old 29th January 2006, 00:20   #14

The government is not going to do any such thing for sometime.. My uncle was talking to a senior government official.. He says that as long as Maruti Udyog Ltd. and the Indian Government have ties, they will never reduce the duty structures, as they dont want the outside competition (like Hyundai or Chevy) to get cheaper than Maruti and steal all their sales.. Simply said, taxes wont be reduced.
[SIZE=2]The S-Class after being made as CKDs will cost almost the same as the current generation S-Class, if not cheaper. The E-Class will be in the 45 Lac range, with the C-Class in the 20-25 Lac bracket.. What Mercedes should do is get the CLS in between the E-Class and the S-Class, where it will serve properly.. (The M-Class should also be got to the same range as an X5..) [/SIZE]
Old 29th January 2006, 16:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

So 1day are you buying the new S.i had told you it was getting launched on 24th of Jan.

The S-will definately cost 70lacs+.traditionally Mercedes cars are costlier than either of their german rivals,and India is no different.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks