Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2006, 04:38   #1

Why.. Less of Supercars in India?

Just wanted to know Fellow T-bhpians view over the matter that why there is not much rapid growth in nos. of supercars in India as compared to other country or places like Singapore. According to Forbes the no. of riches in India are growing enormously but the supercars & exotic cars nos. are increasing very slowly whereas its beleived that such cars are the best way to demonstrate that you are Rich.

So What say Guys what could be the main reson behind this?

Also read somewhere that high crime rate in cities like Mumbai & other major metros might also be responsible for this as riches would have been scared of getting themselves spotted easily by Bad guys in thier such supercars.
well although i found this reason not adequate.

so T-bhpians give your views over the matter.

Last edited by loveybana : 26th January 2006 at 04:49.
Old 26th January 2006, 05:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

one word...BLACK MONEY and lack of interest...but the growth in the last 2-3 years has been more than probably multiple decades put together..
Old 26th January 2006, 06:15   #3
BHPian

bcoz other costs associated with supercars like taxes and duties which exceed the figure most want to buy for...also govt has certain restrictions on imports..also

companies like ferrai and lamborghinis are few n far between when it comes to tradin in tumultous india...huge risk factor involved in such an investment..also

supercars demand a regular attention and tedious maintenance....service station and repair system are not as advanced..though a huge barrage of luxurious

cars are heading east ways....major reason being bad road conditions...bt things will change n it wont b long before v spot a DODGE VIPER OR A LAMBORGHINI

GALLARDO..
Old 26th January 2006, 08:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Also ppl are scared you dont want mafia to be messing up your life..i have heard, when people bought come big bran cars, they got calls..
Old 26th January 2006, 09:45   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambylimo
...bt things will change n it wont b long before v spot a DODGE VIPER OR A LAMBORGHINI

That was 5 years back, and both parked next to each other in the same garage!
Things have only got better...

Loveybana,
Atleast in bombay the number of supercars is growing by the day, and i see more supercars on a regular basis in bombay than i do in a lot of large cities around the world!

cya
R
Old 26th January 2006, 11:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day
Also ppl are scared you dont want mafia to be messing up your life..i have heard, when people bought come big bran cars, they got calls..

so do you really mean to say that they (mafia) mess up, if they see some expensive wheels with you. well i am totally unaware of this fact actually.
Old 26th January 2006, 12:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambylimo
bcoz other costs associated with supercars like taxes and duties which exceed the figure most want to buy for...also govt has certain restrictions on imports..also

companies like ferrai and lamborghinis are few n far between when it comes to tradin in tumultous india...huge risk factor involved in such an investment..also

supercars demand a regular attention and tedious maintenance....service station and repair system are not as advanced..though a huge barrage of luxurious

cars are heading east ways....major reason being bad road conditions...bt things will change n it wont b long before v spot a DODGE VIPER OR A LAMBORGHINI

GALLARDO..

What kind of Govt. Restrictions are you talking abt?

also you stated abt. some huge risk factor involved in such big exotic investments, so could show some more of light over the matter.
Old 26th January 2006, 12:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

The import taxes are way too much in India. I think its ~100% tax for a new car. And there are a lotta supercars right now in India.-Mercs, BMW's, Ferrari's, Porsche's, Maybachs...everyting
Old 26th January 2006, 12:20   #9
BHPian

Roads !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 26th January 2006, 13:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day

I reckon India is slow on the growth on super cars for one reason. And i had a little chat abt this with a fellow indian who i met in Monaco during the grand prix in summer. He was some bloke called vijay malya and owns brewreys in India. The Older generation have this thing abt not showing thier wealth and being 'Bling'!!! whereas the young ones are either following suite or some of them are sayn Boll***cks to that and yeah lets import a flash car.
Hence now there are more imports in India.
Old 26th January 2006, 14:10   #11
BHPian

To BAD 130Y: Haha... 'Tis the 1st time I'm hearing of someone calling Vijay Mallaya "that bloke"! He happens to be one of the richest people in India, supposedly one of the biggest vintage car collectors around, the maker of my fav beer, and is on the top of the list of India's "lifestyles of the rich and famous!"... leads the life all of us can only dream of and more! He would be the LAST person to say boll**ks to importing an exotic, keeping in mind his drives around in a spider (i think), amongst other exoticas owned by him! And the thing you saying about him not liking to show off his wealth... well, our dear man's the original "BLING KING"...sporting a diamond stud in one ear, and a diamond studded supermodel whispering into his other ear over the roar of his finely-tuned supercar!
Me thinks that the two biggest reasons for the low growth of supercars here are, like everyone mentioned... black money and the mafia! But yes, i have to agree that the amount of supercars here in our country have increased manifold over the last coupla years!

godspeed.

Alok.
Old 26th January 2006, 14:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider4385
To BAD 130Y: Haha... 'Tis the 1st time I'm hearing of someone calling Vijay Mallaya "that bloke"! He happens to be one of the richest people in India, supposedly one of the biggest vintage car collectors around, the maker of my fav beer, and is on the top of the list of India's "lifestyles of the rich and famous!"... leads the life all of us can only dream of and more! He would be the LAST person to say boll**ks to importing an exotic, keeping in mind his drives around in a spider (i think), amongst other exoticas owned by him! And the thing you saying about him not liking to show off his wealth... well, our dear man's the original "BLING KING"...sporting a diamond stud in one ear, and a diamond studded supermodel whispering into his other ear over the roar of his finely-tuned supercar!
Me thinks that the two biggest reasons for the low growth of supercars here are, like everyone mentioned... black money and the mafia! But yes, i have to agree that the amount of supercars here in our country have increased manifold over the last coupla years!

godspeed.

Alok.
Yoy Got it all wrong mate. I said he likes to not the other way round. What i said is he said that the majority of older generation Asians dont like showing Wealth i did not say he. When i met him in Monaco he was driving a 360 spyder with California plates BOOZE on it which said it all. I was in my F430 which i had collected from the factory and stopped at monaco for the grand prix and thats when we got chatting.
Old 26th January 2006, 15:34   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_DoN
Roads !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah!!! ROADS Might have been one of the big reason behind it.

also i see some people stating Mafia. i thought that there activities are decresing and might have been almost nil now. but don't know, well forget it

also are there any restirctions over the cars like for Enzo or Veyron bcoz of there high power. will such knid of be road legal here. so far i haven't heard of any such restriction so are there any such knid of restrictions here.
Old 26th January 2006, 19:53   #14
BHPian

To BAD 130Y: Sorry man, mis-interpreted what you said. My Bad!! HAHA... his car number reminds me of a friend of mine here who owns a brewery too... she names all her dogs after alcoholic drinks...and let me tell you...shes got loads of dogs!! Sorry for going off topic mods!

To loveybana & ThE_DoN: Do you REALLY think that bad roads gonna stop people from buying supercars? I'm saying this because here in Hyd, the people with all these exotics drive around only round their areas... I mean the area befitting their social status, where the raods are good. Mabe i'm wrong, but this is what I see everyday!

Godspeed.

Alok.
Old 26th January 2006, 20:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

roads is never a factor, I will tell you why..when you have the money and thats all the road you got what are going to do, sit in a M800 or drive a ferrari if you can..thats what I tell people, if I am sitting in a traffic jam, I much rather be in a maybach or a rolls or a S than a smaller indian car..cuz I am stuck anyways..

and as for the mafia..it might be on a decrease because all the new rich people already have paid these guys out for letting them be...

I know the harassing almost first hand..my fufaji got the call..but my nanna had big connections so got him off..the story was printed in the newspapers as well about 2-3 yrs back..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks