Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2011, 11:54   #61
BHPian

Re: Car Colours in India and what their makers call them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Thanks for that! By the way, "Rouge Red" is a tautology, since rouge *means* red in French!

That's a fail in my book
OT:

Rouge is a powder/cream used in cosmetics in shade of red. So the term could also mean 'Red like the rouge'.

It is similar to how 'orange is orange'.
Old 19th November 2011, 12:05   #62
BANNED

Maruti Swift 2011

Torque Blue - Do BLUE colored swifts have more torque..!!
Old 19th November 2011, 12:31   #63
BHPian

Artic white on the all new swift. Looks superb n awesome. My favourite is blushing red on the i10

Last edited by MutantX : 19th November 2011 at 12:33.
Old 19th November 2011, 12:44   #64
BHPian

I remember seeing this caption (or something similar) in the 2006/7 Dodge Caliber (or Nitro?) brochure.

"We could have named the colours based on mediterranean villages, but decided to keep it simple" and the colours were named Black, Blue, Red, White etc.
Skyline GT-R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 13:49   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice informative thread.I'll add my piece,we have a Santro and the color is Husky Blue!(I thought only a person's voice to be husky?)When we placed the order after seeing the color on paper and on a vehicle,we were happy with our choice,but when we got the vehicle,it was a pathetic shade of Blue mated to Grey,more like dusky blue.We asked the dealer why he is giving us a stupid color(because we had a Moonbeam Silver Maruti800 with bad memories) which we had not placed the order for to which he said that the company has changed the shade but not the name.(Confirmed from various sources.)
AFAIK,Maruti names white and silver with multiple prefixes-Pearl White(Swift),Superior White(Ritz),Silky silver and Pearl Silver.The Moonbeam Silver i mentioned has no speck of silver in it,its nearly same as Azure Grey,maybe a shade lighter.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 19th November 2011 at 13:57.
Old 28th November 2011, 20:03   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
AFAIK,Maruti names white and silver with multiple prefixes-Pearl White(Swift),Superior White(Ritz),Silky silver and Pearl Silver.The Moonbeam Silver i mentioned has no speck of silver in it,its nearly same as Azure Grey,maybe a shade lighter.

Not to forget the weird name they have given to the green color of the A-Star - "Healing Green". Nothing against the color, but the name is horrendous.
Old 29th November 2011, 17:02   #67
BHPian

There is one advantage of giving normal colors exotic names.

Suppose I own a car with the name Foxtrot azure. This color name is printed on RC. Now one fine day I want to change the color of the car, then I will go ahead and change it. In case police checks the RC, I am sure, I can convince the police officer that Foxtrot Azure means Yellow (In case I re-color my car to yellow from the original blue shade).
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 17:34   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
There is one advantage of giving normal colors exotic names....In case police checks the RC, I am sure, I can convince the police officer that Foxtrot Azure means Yellow (In case I re-color my car to yellow from the original blue shade).
That's pretty smart thinking there himavanth_m. But the number of car owners who go to the extent of repainting their car in a different color are less i feel !
Old 29th November 2011, 21:40   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
In case police checks the RC, I am sure, I can convince the police officer that Foxtrot Azure means Yellow (In case I re-color my car to yellow from the original blue shade).
That's brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
I remember seeing this caption (or something similar) in the 2006/7 Dodge Caliber (or Nitro?) brochure.

"We could have named the colours based on mediterranean villages, but decided to keep it simple" and the colours were named Black, Blue, Red, White etc.
Hall of fame entrant: who is this enlightened soul?
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 22:16   #70
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant thread !!

I have always wondered why the car companies have weird names for the simplest of color like black. white or silver ?

But I never thought this could turn out to be such an interesting discussion !!

Most names of car colours elude the common man, I guess it a way of "differenciation" between companies. Made no sense to me ever, never will

cheers
Old 29th November 2011, 23:45   #71
Senior - BHPian

Ford Fusion (I own one) used to come in four shades before getting facelift. Oyster, Tonique, Vitro and Steel Mist. No one can make out how they may look like until seen actually. I identify them as Oyster = Dark Grey Silver, Tonique = Silver Blue, Vitro = Silver Green, Steel Mist = Normal Silver.

One interesting thing to note that Fusions were not available in White or Black until relaunched as Fusion Plus (not +) after 2-3 years. Can someone tell us about any other car not available in white or black colour at the time of launch.

One more observation : Generally all cars look good in White and Black and look great in at least one particular shade for e.g. Urban Titanium on ANHC. In my observation for last 20 years or so, I noted 118 NE was one car on which NO colour looked perfect, you always feel like It could've been better. My dad used to have one (company provided) and when we sent her for complete overhaul It took me very long to finalize the colour. We told mechanic to change it from Tender Leaf (118 NE colour) to PAL Surf (Premier Padmini colour). PAL Surf is very light green shade (similar to green as Pista flavour ice cream) which is quite common with Premier Padmini. Believe me it went very well with 118NE.
Old 30th November 2011, 03:58   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
That's pretty smart thinking there himavanth_m. But the number of car owners who go to the extent of repainting their car in a different color are less i feel !
My comment was not meant to be serious. I dont think anyone will take the pains to change the color of their new car.
Old 30th November 2011, 08:35   #73
BHPian

Figo has a colour called 'Sea Grey'. I thought it was the work of an over-enthusiastic designer or somebody. Some time ago, when I visited the beach, I could see the exact colour in the waves during sunset. I was impressed. That name is apt indeed.
the_joker is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 10:10   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Ford Fusion (I own one) used to come in four shades before getting facelift. Oyster, Tonique, Vitro and Steel Mist. No one can make out how they may look like until seen actually.
Nice names! Though I do agree thery give nothing away in terms of how the car will actually look.

Quote:
In my observation for last 20 years or so, I noted 118 NE was one car on which NO colour looked perfect, you always feel like It could've been better.
The NE looked great in maroon- if I remember correctly that was also the communication colour.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 10:48   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

The NE looked great in maroon- if I remember correctly that was also the communication colour.
Agreed, the 118 NE looked great in maroon. We used to own one in maroon, which Dad drove down all the way upto Veraval from Belgaum or Hubli. I still remember the registration number: KA-25M-219. It was the first ever 118 in the entire Jungadh district and we got a special number for it - GJ-11-200.

Some years later, it started rusting. We got it repaired and re-painted it in silver. The silver colour never looked as elegant as Maroon on the 118.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks