Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2011, 13:00   #181
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
I wish they would give 50% discount on first 100 bookings..
Just imagine what that would do to Mahindra and Tata
Old 7th October 2011, 15:31   #182
BHPian

I wanted to pick up my next car in Jan. Given the long waiting periods, I have booked both Facelifted TFort and have called the SR to come and collect the booking amount for XUV 'five double ooh' .

I will take a decision based on TBHP reviews for both when they come out and will pull the plug on one of the two.

Given the festival season, something tells me that Toyota will start bookings for facelifted TFort early during the festival season and begin deliveries in Jan.

There is another reason for saying this. It is about 3 weeks since I booked my Facelifted Tfort and about 2 weeks back the Salesperson called me asking If I wanted the White classic TFort, I could get it in a week. I was stunned on how I could get a White TFort in flat 2 weeks when I was told it would take 3 months when they accepted the booking. I politely declined and told him I will wait for the Facelifted model.

Though TFort can't match the bling features on XUV, they can pull a surprise pricing with the 2WD A/T model. I really hope so.
Old 7th October 2011, 15:45   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
I wanted to pick up my next car in Jan. Given the long waiting periods, I have booked both Facelifted TFort and have called the SR to come and collect the booking amount for XUV 'five double ooh' .
Are you saying that they accept bookings specifically for "Facelifted" Fortuner?
Old 7th October 2011, 16:00   #184
BHPian

I don't think they have officially announced and started accepting since it would drive away some customers who could come to pick up the classic TFort.

I gave 1L saying this is for the facelifted TFort and the Sales Person accepted it amd did mention the same in my booking form. When Toyota opens booking officially, he would shift mine from classic to Facelifted model.

BTW I checked your profile and guess what? I have a bullet, lancer and a civic (which I just sold to get my next car)

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Are you saying that they accept bookings specifically for "Facelifted" Fortuner?
Old 7th October 2011, 16:04   #185
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think they have officially announced and started accepting since it would drive away some customers who could come to pick up the classic TFort.

I gave 1L saying this is for the facelifted TFort and the Sales Person accepted it amd did mention the same in my booking form. When Toyota opens booking officially, he would shift mine from classic to Facelifted model.

BTW I checked your profile and guess what? I have a bullet, lancer and a civic (which I just sold to get my next car)

Cheers
That's interesting. I will check it out. Would that accept booking against "Automatic Transmission"? I will PM you for more details instead of boring others.
Old 7th October 2011, 16:28   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though TFort can't match the bling features on XUV, they can pull a surprise pricing with the 2WD A/T model. I really hope so.
I do hope so they come up with a 2WD Fortuner.
Having a Scorpio VLX which has almost all the bling features carried over to the XUV, I feel we can live without most of them .
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 16:39   #187
BHPian

i don't know what toyota might have to do to fight the now "mighty" XUV 500. as it would be just too difficult to win the customers of xuv and covince them to pay extra 10 lacs for the car which would do basically the same thing with much less features!

and don't get me wrong... I personally love the fortuner and the AT with facelift looks even better BUT... 10 big ones more... gee i don't know... it might take a lot more convincing! and i am sure that toyota might be thinking the same right now so they might see the XUV's response for a month or so more and then maybe launch the facelift version with reduced price coz it will just take mahindra to launch the XUV AT to bury the competition!
Old 7th October 2011, 17:00   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
It would be worth a wait, both to see if Toyota can bring in a cheaper SUV to counter the XUV and see the XUV's actual performance when the initial hype dies down.
Fortuner sells in 2WD AT 2.7 ltr Petrol engine in Kuwait.

Fortuner sells in 2WD AT 2.5 ltr Diesel engine in Thailand.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6-031020111118.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6-031020111116.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6-031020111117.jpg  

Parm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 18:25   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
i don't know what toyota might have to do to fight the now "mighty" XUV 500. as it would be just too difficult to win the customers of xuv and covince them to pay extra 10 lacs for the car which would do basically the same thing with much less features!

and don't get me wrong... I personally love the fortuner and the AT with facelift looks even better BUT... 10 big ones more... gee i don't know... it might take a lot more convincing! and i am sure that toyota might be thinking the same right now so they might see the XUV's response for a month or so more and then maybe launch the facelift version with reduced price coz it will just take mahindra to launch the XUV AT to bury the competition!
IMO, it will be other way round. Will XUV500 be able to take on the might of "Mighty" Fortuner even with the cost and features advantage? Yes TFort is high priced and all Toyota products are priced at premium to what they offer, but it is a different story what they stand for and how they stand. Yes there may be some going for XUV500 given the cost and features advantage ignoring all other aspects, BUT I doubt if XUV500 will even shake TFort from its ground. But TFort does need to bring some more value into the package. Our Team-BHP review would surely throw some light on this. I doubt if Toyota needs to worry about XUV500 competition, did not have to worry about Aria yet.

Disclaimer: I am not a Toyota Die-Hard fan But I do love TFort.
Old 7th October 2011, 21:47   #190
BHPian

Today called the Toyota showroom to check in Mysore . They had no clue on the new model coming .they mentioned that the current model had a 4 month waiting period .
Old 7th October 2011, 23:01   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
I doubt if Toyota needs to worry about XUV500 competition, did not have to worry about Aria yet.
@parsh, Toyota didn't worry about the Aria because it didn't sell well. The XUV on the other hand has the *potential* (yet to be proven) to steal not just some Fortuner sales, but also some Innova sales. I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota brings down the pricing of the Fortuner and the Innova or at the very least adds more features for the same price. The Fortuner seems overpriced at the current levels. There is scope for 'correction' here. Would I then cancel my XUV booking and go with the Fortuner as I originally planned? Sure, competition is good for consumers.
Old 8th October 2011, 02:01   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveller View Post
. I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota brings down the pricing of the Fortuner and the Innova or at the very least adds more features for the same price. The Fortuner seems overpriced at the current levels. There is scope for 'correction' here.
Absolutely Agree, I always had the TFort in mind as my next car. but when XUV came in with bells and whistles at an amazing price, mind is working against the heart to justify the 10L price difference. of course M&M are nowhere near Toyota quality, Brand recall and resale value. But 10L seems way too much a price to pay for that.

But given that Toyota has launched Facelifted TFort in ME and SEA regions, I doubt if Toyota India can add features to the model being launched in India. It is a CKD kit and what comes from the factories abroad is what they have to live with.

IMHO They have couple of choices.

1) Launch 2WD Manual @ 16-17 Ex-Showroom and shake the SUV market
2) Launch 2WD A/T @ 18-19 and pull those A/T customers before M&M launches A/T

The above two may not cause much heartburn over current classic TFort customer since they have a 4WD.

3) Launch 4WD Manual @ the current prices 20.5

Else

4) Be arrogant about their brand value and stay at their current overpriced levels and slowly over a period loose market to local brands and leave us

Just a matter of few weeks or months. let's see.
Old 8th October 2011, 08:25   #193
Senior - BHPian

I had a feeling Toyota would have launched the Fortuner facelift at a premium. That means lauching the 2WD at the current price of the 4WD and pushing the facelifted 4WD into a higher bracket. And they could have very well got away with it.

But, the XUV has come and disturbed everything from the Verna to the Fortuner. And let's hope the Mahindra can deliver on the initial excitement as a product. And, that may force Toyota to play the value game again.
Old 8th October 2011, 08:42   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveller View Post
The XUV on the other hand has the *potential* (yet to be proven) to steal not just some Fortuner sales, but also some Innova sales. I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota brings down the pricing of the Fortuner and the Innova or at the very least adds more features for the same price. The Fortuner seems overpriced at the current levels. There is scope for 'correction' here. Would I then cancel my XUV booking and go with the Fortuner as I originally planned? Sure, competition is good for consumers.
This is really very optimistic of you to think that XUV is going to hurt fortuner's sales. Seriously? 99% of the customers of T-Fort buy it for the Bling factor. None of them buys it for its off-roading abilities. And all those customers are not going to move down a segment since $$ for them was never an issue.
Fortuner sales will in no way be affected by XUV sales or for that matter any product in that price range.

Innova on the other hand will surely lose some market share even though its USP still holds good ie reliable, niggle free and comfortable work horse. But yes if today I had to go and book an Innova, I will surely consider the XUV for all that extra gadgetry, fresh looks and SUV image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I had a feeling Toyota would have launched the Fortuner facelift at a premium. That means lauching the 2WD at the current price of the 4WD and pushing the facelifted 4WD into a higher bracket. And they could have very well got away with it.
Yea most probably that is what we are going to see. But with the pending launch of ssanyong SUVs they might want to launch the 2WD version at less then 20L. Increasing the prices further for the top variant may not work since then it comes head to head with the X1, Renault Koleos and the likes which are much more loaded and premium. Also the Q3 may too be launched close to 25L.
Old 8th October 2011, 09:34   #195
BHPian

Not a major change outside but the interior seems to be quite good. We have to wait probably till Diwali.
Toyota Fortuner has already made a mark in India Market, but after launch of XUV500 all SUVs are under extreme pressure. However, if Toyota want to retain its market share they have to pass 2 tests:
1: Make the pricing correct
2: Additional cabin accessories unlike the current one.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed