Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2011, 21:21   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

^
Yes, Its lost it's butch and the bad dog has become tame... though lost none of it's capabilities.
Old 23rd July 2011, 21:50   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^
1. They have also added an AUTO ON/OFF Headlamp System
2. Do Comment on this Unique Illumination System for rear passengers
3. The Price of 22L is for the AT version. AFAIK they wont be offering any petrol versions here. Only 2 fully loaded Diesel versions will be offered, with and without AT. MT should be at nearly the same prices.
Hi dkaile,
2. I noticed that light strip in some snap but thought it was a reflection of some kind. How horrendous. Makes the interior look like a cheap Mumbai dance bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I didnt like the face-lifted Fortunner. Front bumper lower half picked from Polo or Vento, headlights are over grown altis headlamps and excessive chrome.

It looks good in the black(body color) and bad in white.
Quite true. All that chrome really gets my goat !
And like dkaile mentioned all the aggressive posturing is gone.
Old 24th July 2011, 13:39   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
"The Toyota folks do NOT know how to facelift. Period!"
I think they have learned how to facelift now. Earlier they used to just change lights, and the bumpers. Now look at the Altis, they got a 7 speed A/T, and a more powerful engine. Also upgraded the interiors, and added a touchscreen.

To be honest, this Fortuner facelift does look less mean, but that does not mean it looks bad at all. In my view its a welcome change, at least feature wise, and interior wise.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2011, 15:16   #124
dot
Senior - BHPian

I am not entirely sure of the meanness quotient of the new face (!) unless viewed in person. Sometimes photos does not do justice. (OT 1: Couple of days back spotted the new Fiesta, boy it was disappointing, the pics were much more flattering. Lets hope it grows upon us).

What is more important is, the current Fort is slowly and surely inching it way to the hall of classic vehicles. I am thinking whether the face body lift job is going to affect used car prices... Nah, may not happen. Too much popular. Did the face lifted Innova dent used Innova prices? Nada.

OT 2: Spotted the latest Rav4. Boy, it has grown too.
Old 24th July 2011, 16:49   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredenuemann View Post
mdsaab,
The fuel pump reimbursed the entire cost ie Rs 3246 , and with apologies too! Well, pretty decent of him( it was the owner who did that). The fortuner is running fine and seems to be no worse off for the experience.
Hi AEN,
Great to hear that. Good news indeed on both counts.
Truly you need to state now - What me worry !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
1. Guderian your humour is fantastic as always.
Asth-matic ~ sheer genius.

2. But here is the short and curt 1 liner for TOGO channel viewers.
"The Toyota folks do NOT know how to facelift. Period!"
Hi mdsaab,
1. Thank you. Lightning does strike fools too at times and makes them appear in a favourable light.

2. I too am rather upset with the facelift - looks wise atleast. Primarily for the reason as to why disturb a thing everything was running smooth on the looks front ? OK the additions on the features front is fine. ICE/reworked steering wheel controls etc. But the looks ?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
1. Yes, they have really tried to put Kareena Kapur's Face on a Silk Smitha Body...
2. Remember the Qualis, anyone?
Hi dkaile,
1. ...and they don't seem to have had luck with the face or the body by the looks of it !
2. Actually Qualis was an honest to goodness shape. You accepted it. But this ?
Yes it will grow on you as - if there is no option and you have to get the TFort then what option do you have anyway ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think they have learned how to facelift now. Earlier they used to just change lights, and the bumpers. Now look at the Altis, they got a 7 speed A/T, and a more powerful engine. Also upgraded the interiors, and added a touchscreen.

To be honest, this Fortuner facelift does look less mean, but that does not mean it looks bad at all. In my view its a welcome change, at least feature wise, and interior wise.
Hi Akshay,
Addition of features/gizmos is fine. That is a process of evolution.
But facelift/botox which means restructuring of the face has been a terrible let down.
And why so ? When you had a vehicle that sold in some geos only for the looks ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
1. What is more important is, the current Fort is slowly and surely inching it way to the hall of classic vehicles.

2. I am thinking whether the face body lift job is going to affect used car prices...
Hi dot,
1. What did I tell you a few posts ago dot ? About the current TForts turning into a collector's item ? I think they should sell the current one as CTF...Classic Toyota Fortuner !

2. My experience has been otherwise. After I got the Scorpio CRDe in just about 6 months there was a facelift and major feature lift including suspensions, later on at least 3 more major changes including an engine replacement in the newer ones. However ultimately when I sold it I was thrilled to realise that it had held its resale value really well !

Qualis - the resale value is still phenomenal - despite it having been chased off from the production lines !
Old 24th July 2011, 17:25   #126
Senior - BHPian

I was refering more to the "Face Value"
And not the other upgraded features. Which ofcourse are welcome.
Old 24th July 2011, 23:34   #127
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

Guys that LED strip in the cabin is for the show. During the show you don't want an unlit car from the inside.

I prefer the new colours dual tone grey and beige. The earlier one was a sea of beige.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:06   #128
BHPian

Have a look at this picture. It's the petrol version with the TRD Sportivo Kit.

Doesn't look that bad I suppose.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6-trd14_770.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th July 2011 at 10:20. Reason: Dotty post, please avoid typing like this.... Thanks.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:31   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Guys that LED strip in the cabin is for the show. During the show you don't want an unlit car from the inside.

I prefer the new colours dual tone grey and beige. The earlier one was a sea of beige.
Hi Vid,
That info on light strip is a relief !
I was trying to unravel the mystery behind it and would have wasted sometime on it but for the timely input.

Hi Guys,
Had put up a few snaps yesterday comparing the current TFort and the new one which was released in Indonesia. Which is slightly different from what I can see on the Thai site.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-sails-69.html

We can of course continue the comparison discussion here.

Last edited by Guderian : 25th July 2011 at 10:40.
Old 25th July 2011, 11:06   #130
Senior - BHPian

I think the face-lifted Fortuner still looks good.

But whereas the existing model would appear in your RVM and say "Move", the face-lifted one would appear in your RVM and say "Would you be kind enough to move aside?"
Old 25th July 2011, 12:35   #131
Senior - BHPian

The sport kit does add a little to the looks. and it doesn't look all bad with the kit on.
StarrySky ~ nice sense of humour. Me likes!
Old 1st August 2011, 14:34   #132
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Starry Sky nice humour.

That said, in an SUV one mostly wants to say MOVE rather than even "Please Move".

The Suiting up of an SUV if continued makes it look like an MUV at the other extreme.
Old 3rd August 2011, 00:04   #133
Senior - BHPian

I personally don't like the exterior. The "Macho" Looks are gone and sober looks are in. Are they trying to woo the corporate crowd ? Nah ! Corporates prefer a sedan than an SUV.

It Looks LC-200 ish but how many LC-200s are there around in India and even if an LC-200 drives along, how many will know that it is a 1 crore vehicle. LC-200 does not have that Market at least in India. For the common man who does not care much for an automobile, "800 is a Maruti" and "Kizashi is also a Maruti." On similar lines "Liva is a Toyota" and LC-200 is also a "Toyota". Some would be even Naive enough to ask "where was this Fortuner modified" or "where was this Qualis Modified to look like this" ?

In my opinion, they should make the interiors more Innovaish so as to save cost. Any new part re-design costs money and time and the same cost is passed on to us with an increase in Ex-Showroom Price. If interiors are similar to Innova that would help them cut costs. If they make exclusive interiors, we should see prices around 4 lacs more minimum. They are following the "Dodge Motors"/"Tata Motors" strategy of having similar looks to a vast range of models.

Take for example the Steering Wheel. This is nearly an 8 year old design. We saw this first on the Overseas Camry. Then it came to the Indian Camry, Then to corolla and now in Fortuner. Next, we should see the same steering in Innova Facelift 2012 also. This helps them to save costs as carrying forward the steering from Camry would be discussed and closed over a meeting rather than spending time and money on R&D and Testing a new Steering Design.

One Feature I would like to see is Bluetooth connectivity on HU and Steering Controls as OE or at least an Option. Hyundai i10 @ 6 lacs offers this feature. There is no reason why a near 25 lac SUV shouldn't offer this.

P.S.: I do not work for Toyota. I work for IT Industry where even if you sneeze or use the loo, your manager would think if there is cost involved and how it would effect the profitability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBIN004 View Post
Have a look at this picture. It's the petrol version with the TRD Sportivo Kit.

Doesn't look that bad I suppose.
I really doubt if Toyota would bring a petrol version to India. I Hear that Innova petrol is made to order only. Toyota will stick with the Diesel Unit. The only chance of bringing in the Petrol unit is if our government match Petrol and Diesel price. I am sure Govt will be thinking of a fool-proof way to provide diesel subsidy only to Tractor Owners and "Pump-Sets" in villages. I am sure someone would be debating on the diesel subsidiary to premium vehicles. If Govt matches the prices of diesel and petrol or atleast come within a Rs 5 price difference, we should see a demand for Petrol Vehicles.

I noticed one more thing. Someone had written Fortuner is positioned in the Non-premium segment in Indonesia. If you enlarge the 7th Picture on Page 6 (the picture right below the VVT Engine which shows the steering wheel and Fascia) you could see bluethooth controls on the steering wheel.

If Toyota is offering this option even in a Non-Premium Market / Segment they MUST offer this feature on the Indian version of the fortuner where Fortuner is placed in the Premium segment.

Last edited by Zappo : 7th December 2011 at 00:24. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:01   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I noticed one more thing. Someone had written Fortuner is positioned in the Non-premium segment in Indonesia. If you enlarge the 7th Picture on Page 6 (the picture right below the VVT Engine which shows the steering wheel and Fascia) you could see bluethooth controls on the steering wheel.

If Toyota is offering this option even in a Non-Premium Market / Segment they MUST offer this feature on the Indian version of the fortuner where Fortuner is placed in the Premium segment.
Yes i agree with you. But most manufacturers in India were offering their premium vehicles with hardly any features.
Look at the pre-facelift Civic as an example.
It's only now that manufacturers have woken up.
and we have Hyundai to thank for this.
Yes, buddy you heard it right. Thank you Hyundai.
(I have never said that before)
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:45   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I really doubt if Toyota would bring a petrol version to India.
For an answer a look at the sales figures of CRV should be good. Inspite of all positives the car has with respect to the competition, it hardly sells. And the main reason being the petrol motor only option!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed