Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2011, 00:55   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
For an answer a look at the sales figures of CRV should be good. Inspite of all positives the car has with respect to the competition, it hardly sells. And the main reason being the petrol motor only option!
Not to forget the price. Being a CBU it was always on the higher side and out of reach for many.
That way Toyota has been smart, they could have launched the Fortuner much earlier as a CBU.
But they waited it out until they were ready to launch it locally properly.
This has made a huge difference as it is relatively priced right, compared to the CRV.
Even BMW has done well with the pricing of the X1, thanks to it not being a CBU.
As the old saying goes, slow and steady wins the race
Old 4th August 2011, 02:28   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Yes i agree with you. But most manufacturers in India were offering their premium vehicles with hardly any features.
Look at the pre-facelift Civic as an example.
It's only now that manufacturers have woken up.
and we have Hyundai to thank for this.
Yes, buddy you heard it right. Thank you Hyundai.
(I have never said that before)
Couldn't agree with you more! I have the 2007 Civic (R18). Trust me it is very low on equipment! No Aux, No USB, No Electric adjust seats, No steering mounted controls.

Hyundai did start this trend with introducing things like bluetooth, mobile phone connectivity, sunroof, etc. in a car which is in the hatch segment (read: i10). Now such levels of kit are expected in a 15-lakh rupee + car.

About the new T-fort, I really hope we do get more levels of equipment as its placed at a premium price in our market. Addition of a sunroof would've made it the SUV to die for! But still the more expected items include touch-screen DVD with AUX & USB, bluetooth, steering mounted controls for the phone, electric seats with memory, electric OVRM's, automatic tranny etc.
n:CorE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 10:11   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
Couldn't agree with you more! I have the 2007 Civic (R18). Trust me it is very low on equipment! No Aux, No USB, No Electric adjust seats, No steering mounted controls.

Hyundai did start this trend with introducing things like bluetooth, mobile phone connectivity, sunroof, etc. in a car which is in the hatch segment (read: i10). Now such levels of kit are expected in a 15-lakh rupee + car.

About the new T-fort, I really hope we do get more levels of equipment as its placed at a premium price in our market. Addition of a sunroof would've made it the SUV to die for! But still the more expected items include touch-screen DVD with AUX & USB, bluetooth, steering mounted controls for the phone, electric seats with memory, electric OVRM's, automatic tranny etc.
Ah, so you have the Civic too.
Yes i would like to see a sunroof of the T-Fort.
what better than to go off the beaten track with the sunroof open.
i do feel electric seats will make it too, but am not sure about the memory function being available.
Actually it's quite odd that the Corolla is loaded with electric driver seat, and the fortuner is not. Sometimes the manufacturers get their placing wrong.
Obviously the customer spending more, expects more kit from his vehicle too.
Sure you get your money's worth when you buy the T-Fort.
But it's about time the manufacturers start the goodie loading hierarchy.
Where more expensive models get more kit.
even if it's a difference like more airbags.
for e.g 4 instead of 2.
Old 4th August 2011, 14:35   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
For an answer a look at the sales figures of CRV should be good. Inspite of all positives the car has with respect to the competition, it hardly sells. And the main reason being the petrol motor only option!
Nothing can be said better. With the ever increasing Petrol price in India, A petrol motor would fail terribly. As mentioned CRV is a live example. It will be definetly a diesel motor unless our govt reduces the subsidy on diesel for automobiles (Exemption only for Farm-Tractor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Yes i agree with you. But most manufacturers in India were offering their premium vehicles with hardly any features.
Look at the pre-facelift Civic as an example.
It's only now that manufacturers have woken up.
and we have Hyundai to thank for this.
Yes, buddy you heard it right. Thank you Hyundai.
(I have never said that before)
You just echoed my thoghts. Hyundai is the way to go. The first Santro when launched in 1998 had Factory Fit AC on their basic model. At that time the Tatas and Marutis did not offer AC even as an option on the basic model. Hyundai offers Bluetooth and Sunroof in an i10. Thats really called a benchmark. If someone wants the features of a sedan in a small car this is it. One may want a smaller car for city use (may not be affordability). Why deny him the Luxury of a big car, if he is ready to pay.

I am from Chennai and whenever i go shopping (T.Nagar) i use my 2-wheeler. I can very well afford to take my car or a taxi. The traffic and pedestrians deter me from taking anything other than a two-wheeler.

Example Bluetooth Controls on Steering wheel is a necessity whether it is a Nano or a 7-Series. Phone distractions will cause damage whether on a Nano or on a 7 series. This must be offered on all cars at least as an option to those who are ready to pay for the kit.

Last edited by Zappo : 7th December 2011 at 00:25. Reason: Lets not make so many of these back to back posts
Old 12th September 2011, 11:29   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Test Drive & Review

Hi Everyone,

Came across this news on the launch of the new Fortuner launch with AT on Steeroids.

2012 Toyota Fortuner AT :Spy Pictures

There are vehicles already in India, facelifted versions and also with AT, which are being tested / in final stages. Anyone have any news on whether the vehicle has already been homologated by ARAI or not?

The launch is definitely planned for Auto Expo 2012!

Bring it on!
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 12:30   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Everyone,

Came across this news on the launch of the new Fortuner launch with AT on Steeroids.

There are vehicles already in India, facelifted versions and also with AT, which are being tested / in final stages. Anyone have any news on whether the vehicle has already been homologated by ARAI or not?

Bring it on!
Nice Find Behemoth; (Though the mods can shift this to the Face-Lifted Toyota Fortuner Topic). These look indeed the Indian Facelifted Fortuner photos. Nice to see they are continuing the beige theme inside. Rest they are exactly similar to the Thai/Indonesian models we have already seen in detail. Some upgrades (like those backlights, silver on the steering and the colour of wood) are looking garish. The front headlights seems to have got the HID's with the headlight washer (visible). But where'a the H/L Lever gone? that we saw here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-pg-6-a-6.html . Also I dont see the Audio Bluetooth Controls for the phone on the steering? Big question will be the amount of price hike they do. Hope to steal that ICE from that model, somehow

Last edited by dkaile : 12th September 2011 at 12:58.
Old 12th September 2011, 13:01   #142
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Bring it on!
Excellent find

Time to tighten the belts and whatever possible. Have been waiting for the new Fortuner ever since it was launched in Indonesia. Nowadays, Toyota is very quick to react. AT will make the Endeavour AT run for cover.

Few observations -
- From the pictures, it seems to be a 2WD as the 4WD shift lever is missing.
- If it is true, we will have a 2WD Fortuner at a lower price point
- The two tone interior (Grey & beige) are more proportionate with the top portion of doors (window sill?) and the central console (including the ones next to the gear) having the darker colour.
- Front cup holders add to practicality.
- Touch screen ICE is good, but the colour of the HU makes it look garish.
- The link mentions the power bumped up to 180 BHP. Is it possible?

The car seems to be ready even for an earlier launch (Diwali?). Bring it on Toyota....

@MODS: Please create a new thread.

Last edited by MAS : 12th September 2011 at 13:09.
Old 12th September 2011, 13:12   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Bring it on!
seems , it is a 2WD and not 4 WD as there's no Ratio Gear lever there in the picture courtesy : 2012 Toyota Fortuner AT :Spy Pictures

Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6-fortuner-gear.jpg

But i found it in Toyota Thailand website. posting the picture here.

Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6-fortuner.jpg

As per the Thai site, the DVD Unit is with Navigation and Reverse Camera and USB with iPOD support too.
Great to have all in Indian version too. Hoping too with all goodies and with reasonable price, Definitely it should be a Hot Cake.

Last edited by aks_karthik : 12th September 2011 at 13:16.
Old 12th September 2011, 13:14   #144
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Excellent find

Time to tighten the belts and whatever possible. Have been waiting for the new Fortuner ever since it was launched in Indonesia. Nowadays, Toyota is very quick to react. AT will make the Endeavour AT run for cover.

Few observations -
- From the pictures, it seems to be a 2WD as the 4WD shift lever is missing.
- If it is true, we will have a 2WD Fortuner at a lower price point
- The two tone interior (Grey & beige) are more proportionate with the top portion of doors (window sill?) and the central console (including the ones next to the gear) having the darker colour.
- Front cup holders add to practicality.
- Touch screen ICE is good, but the colour of the HU makes it look garish.
- The link mentions the power bumped up to 180 BHP. Is it possible?

The car seems to be ready even for an earlier launch (Diwali?). Bring it on Toyota....

@MODS: Please create a new thread.
A pictorial comparison of the interiors is given below. The car spied in India is a 2WD

@ MODS: Apologies for these back to back posts. Request you to merge them.

The steering wheel does not have any buttons on the right side, but seems to have extra buttons as marked in the pictures. These seem to be the bluetooth hands free buttons.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6-2012-fortuner-interior.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6-2012-fortuner-interior-spy.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6-2012-fortuner-interior-spy.jpg  

Last edited by Zappo : 7th December 2011 at 00:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 12th September 2011, 14:35   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
The steering wheel does not have any buttons on the right side, but seems to have extra buttons as marked in the pictures. These seem to be the bluetooth hands free buttons.
Nope MAS, That's just the DISP button. Here's a clearer picture of the same model. Note the (horrendously garish) wood colour inserts.

Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6-fortuner12.jpg

Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6-fortuner24.jpg

The ICE too might not get GPS (aka the Altis here) as Toyota believes (wrongly) that GPS has still not come of age in India.
Old 12th September 2011, 16:20   #146
BHPian

The Launch of the Auto box will definitely do good for Toyota. Lot of people were eagerly waiting for the Autobox and with 2 wheel drive makes more sense .

Is there any news of the manual 2 wheel drive as well ? Afterall how many people take an SUV like fortuner to places where it truly belongs to .

Last edited by Fortuner71 : 12th September 2011 at 16:22. Reason: added few lines
Old 12th September 2011, 18:26   #147
mxx
BHPian

What good is a 2wd fortuner? What sets fortuner apart is its off-road capabilities. Despite its low rent interiors and lack of refinement(wrt competitors) its off-road capability is what defines it and to an extend the only justification for its high price.
If no 4wd, then why should someone not go for captiva, whose at version is priced very competitively?
mxx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 22:11   #148
Senior - BHPian

@ mxx: +1

If you don't need the toughness and 4WD of the Fortuner, then there are better (read more luxurious/comfortable) softroaders around.

But if 90% of people buy it for its looks and T brand, then people would continue to buy the 2WD version. I wonder what are the ratios b/w sales of 4WD/AWD and 2WD versions of other SUVs in India (e.g. CRV earlier, Endy, Captiva etc.)

I am waiting for the launch so that I can add a few things to my Classic one - HU, HID etc.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 12th September 2011 at 22:21.
Old 12th September 2011, 22:36   #149
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I know many Fortuner owners who bought the car for its looks and the status it brings along with it. Think of the politicians who are now buying Fortuners by the dozen. Yes, a 4WD Fortuner is meant for off-roading, but an off-rod enthusiast would buy a Pajero or a Gypsy too. There exists a market for the 2WD SUV and Toyota is doing well addressing it.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 23:10   #150
Senior - BHPian

This is swell news. Nice find. So the launch may be earlier than expected. Making it 2WD won't actually tarnish its SUV image, due to its superbly powerful engine, power and torque deliveries, though it would certainly limit the high end off-roading capabilities. Good move by Toyota to pitch in the 2WD and AT market at the same time and address the customers and hit the 2WD/AT Endy and others market.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks