Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2011, 14:23   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Yes, I heard about that and yet, the drum set up at rear, seems a bit out of trend considering the power weight factor- that would add to momentum at top speed. A disc set up would have been far more confidence inspiring set up IMHO.
Absolutely right. I was in a Fortuner yesterday only taking a spin with the owner, the brakes were absolutely upto the mark when applied at 90+.

The rear discs are definately a miss specially for the cost of the vehicle.
Old 31st October 2011, 16:45   #212
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Happened to read this on IAB.

Quote:
The Toyota Fortuner facelift, shown at the Indonesian Motor Show earlier in the year reached dealerships in the SUV-loving country of Oman. The 2012 Fortuner is a cosmetic upgrade featuring chrome radiator grill, cylindrical-shaped projector lamp, rear license plate garnish and black wood grain paneling in the cabin.

The facelift provides Fortuner familiarity to other siblings in the SUV range. The Prado and Land Cruiser are also sold in India. Whether it is petrol or diesel, Toyota has not made changes to any mechanicals.

Three variants of the Fortuner are available with two petrol engines – 2.7-liter Premium, 4.0-liter Exclusive, and 4.0- liter Grand. The larger motor packs a V6 with 24 variably-operating valves. Both mills are mated to a 5-speed automatic transmission.

Toyota is yet to determine the extent of damage the Thai floods have caused to its vendors and production line. TKM imports kits for Fortuner from Thailand which then are assembled at the Bidadi plant in Karnataka. Will the floods delay the introduction of the facelift in India?
As we have already seen spy-shots of the face-lifted Fortuner in Delhi, IMO it will be launched during the Auto Expo in Jan 2012.

The monstrous V6 4 litre, 24-valve VVT-i engine delivers an output of 235 HP and torque of 38.3 kg-m. I also read that added privileges are available to Toyota customers in Oman which includes a 6-year unlimited mileage protection plan. That is what i call confidence.
Old 31st October 2011, 17:53   #213
BHPian

With the flood in Thailand affecting Toyota as well, I am guessing fortuner deliveries in India will also be affected since it sources CKD from Thailand.

Hope Toyota does not postpone the launch due to this.
Old 8th November 2011, 18:15   #214
BHPian

I am hearing that Toyota is not going to phase out the old fortuner. They are going to introduce new variants below and above the current fortuner. bookings opening in december is what I was told.

My Speculation below

2WD - Facelifted
AWD - Manual - Current Model
AWD - AT - Facelifted

or

2WD - Manual - Current Model - 15L (2.5G Innova Engine in a better tune)
2WD - Manual - Facelifted - 17L (3.0)
AWD - Manual - Facelifted - 19L (3.0)
AWD - AT - Facelifted - 21L (3.0)

All my speculated prices are prices ex-showroom
Old 8th November 2011, 18:59   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
I am hearing that Toyota is not going to phase out the old fortuner. They are going to introduce new variants below and above the current fortuner. bookings opening in december is what I was told.
Toyota never does that and I will be surprised if they break the norm this time. Remember they just phased out the hot selling Qualis with the Innova in one go. No chance of the petrol V6 heading here either with our current fuel scenario.

Facelift will take over the current model, though I dont see the price reducing either, for the 4WD variant. Only the 2WD 'may' be introduced at a lower price point (18L) and the AT at a 1L premium over the current one. The Manual AWD has always been their strong point and should continue with the facelift in current Indian scenario.

Last edited by dkaile : 8th November 2011 at 19:11.
Old 8th November 2011, 19:10   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@BlackRaven,

I really doubt, Toyota will EVER sell the old and new model together. It makes absolutely no sense from a logistics perspective. It is a CKD vehicle and given that the model has been discontinued in most other markets, where would they import the CKD kit from?
Old 8th November 2011, 19:21   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Toyota never does that and neither will it this time. Remember they just phased out the hot selling Qualis with the Innova in one go. No chance of the petrol V6 heading here either with our current fuel scenario.

Facelift will take over the current model, though I dont see the price reducing either, for the 4WD variant. Only the 2WD 'may' be introduced at a lower price point (18L).
Agreed dkaile,Toyota has not done it in the past. But at that point the market was different and they have more competition now in all segments.

I believe it makes sense to keep these together and capture the 15-20 bracket as well with good volumes.

BTW I got this information from a Sales Manager in a dealership. So let's take it with a pinch of salt. There is a good probability it might not happen given the history.
Old 9th November 2011, 15:14   #218
BHPian

Quote:

Good this is the time i shall be back in india , so can decide whats on offer with respect to the new model and take a call .
Thanks to mahindra and the other competition , we are sure to get good latest products available worldwide.
Old 9th November 2011, 15:38   #219
Senior - BHPian

Sir what you are hearing is what dealers say to customers. A bunch of lies to make sure they dont loose sales on the current model. Plus, the Fortuners so much in demand that people still pay a premium for it and in case a new ones around, no one will ever pay the premium at least.

Quote:

My Speculation below

2WD - Facelifted
AWD - Manual - Current Model
AWD - AT - Facelifted

or

2WD - Manual - Current Model - 15L (2.5G Innova Engine in a better tune)
2WD - Manual - Facelifted - 17L (3.0)
AWD - Manual - Facelifted - 19L (3.0)
AWD - AT - Facelifted - 21L (3.0)

nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 20:20   #220
Senior - BHPian

Any idea of dates of the launch? Today while talking to the sales guy at Nandi he mentioned it would be sometime in next June that the car will be launched. I feel it could be sooner, as it sounded like a generic sell the current one (rather then the future one few months away) trick. The interiors do look fresher then the current one (specifically interested in the ICE with AUX/USB and Bluetooth for pairing phones)
Old 9th November 2011, 22:59   #221
Senior - BHPian

I feel toyota must launch the fortuner in India with Innova's 2.5 engine as well. I am sure that would help in price reduction and it would be an instant hit in the fleet market
Old 10th November 2011, 20:21   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
I feel toyota must launch the fortuner in India with Innova's 2.5 engine as well. I am sure that would help in price reduction and it would be an instant hit in the fleet market
Were you being sarcastic? It would be underpowered, and impractical. If you do away with the Fortuner's 4WD/low range, and the gem of an engine, there are no reasons to opt for the Fortuner apart from the looks and reliability. There would be many vehicles tha beat it in terms of ride quality, brakes, handling, seating comfort e.g. its cousin Innova etc. This is, of course, my humble opinion as a Fortuner owner who likes taking the vehicle on roads less traveled. However, maybe looks/Toyota brand matters a lot to certain segments of buyers, who are willing to ignore the other 'less than ideal' aspects.
Old 10th November 2011, 21:21   #223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Sorry, what made you think that the Fortuner will be a success in fleet market? And why an SUV for the fleet market? Something wrong there!
Old 10th November 2011, 21:43   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Were you being sarcastic? It would be underpowered, and impractical. If you do away with the Fortuner's 4WD/low range, and the gem of an engine, there are no reasons to opt for the Fortuner apart from the looks and reliability. There would be many vehicles tha beat it in terms of ride quality, brakes, handling, seating comfort e.g. its cousin Innova etc. This is, of course, my humble opinion as a Fortuner owner who likes taking the vehicle on roads less traveled. However, maybe looks/Toyota brand matters a lot to certain segments of buyers, who are willing to ignore the other 'less than ideal' aspects.
IIRC, Innova was available with 26 kgm torque and 102 bhp. For India, even the torque was detuned.
Next, when the intercooler was added, Toyota again did not opt for any rise in power, but in other countries Innova with Intercooler had 33 kgm of torque and 118 bhp. What we got ? 102 bhp and 20.4 kgm torque.

Now, internationally the 2.5 is available with 145 bhp and 35 kgm of torque, thanks to VGT.
Internationally the Forutner sold as pick up as Hilux is sold with the 145/35 ( bhp/kgm ) format of Innova engine.

So why not Fortuner. By no means the Fortuner will be underpowered. The torque figure is not too far off from what the current 3.0 offers.

In fact, 145 bhp, 35 kgm torque 4X2 fortuner will bring in more sales number provided the range starts from Rs. 15 lakh. Would be giving stiff competition to XUV and Innova along with Arai.

Toyota should consider VGT 2.5 Fortuner with 4X2 IMO.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 22:19   #225
BHPian

Why is it so that all the new Toyota's coming up having similar headlamps like the current Corolla Altis?
Cant they come up with some other style of headlamps? Especially, the Fortuner, being a brute on the road, should have a cunning design on the headlamps.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks