Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2011, 12:11   #241
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

Source: GOW

The Toyota Fortuner & Innova Facelift will launched in December 2011 and the Fortuner the 4X2 variant will be priced below 18 Lakhs and AT version will priced around 23-25 Lakhs that will give a boost to sales of the Fortuner!!
Y@SH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 18:18   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
IIRC, Innova was available with 26 kgm torque and 102 bhp. For India, even the torque was detuned.
Next, when the intercooler was added, Toyota again did not opt for any rise in power, but in other countries Innova with Intercooler had 33 kgm of torque and 118 bhp. What we got ? 102 bhp and 20.4 kgm torque.
Can you pls let me know which manual shift Innova was available with 26kgm torque - IIRC, it was always the automatic that had 26kgm with a narrower (1600-2600). The manual always had 20.2 kgm with a wider (1400-3400 rpm) power band. In both the cases though the peak power was 102 bhp.

Quote:
Now, internationally the 2.5 is available with 145 bhp and 35 kgm of torque, thanks to VGT.
The 2KDFTV (model number for the "2.5") is used in a variety of vehicles - Fortuner, Hilux pickup truck, Innova, Minibuses. The power and torque depend on the type of application. AFAIK, the Innova application has 102 bhp output in all the countries.
Old 18th November 2011, 13:43   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
The Toyota Fortuner & Innova Facelift will launched in December 2011 and the Fortuner the 4X2 variant will be priced below 18 Lakhs and AT version will priced around 23-25 Lakhs that will give a boost to sales of the Fortuner!!
Excellent news, thanks for that. No wonder the dealer is trying hard to sell the Fortuner says can give it to me in a weeks time. A week for Fortuner delivery is unheard off.
Old 18th November 2011, 15:06   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Can you pls let me know which manual shift Innova was available with 26kgm torque - IIRC, it was always the automatic that had 26kgm with a narrower (1600-2600). The manual always had 20.2 kgm with a wider (1400-3400 rpm) power band. In both the cases though the peak power was 102 bhp.

The 2KDFTV (model number for the "2.5") is used in a variety of vehicles - Fortuner, Hilux pickup truck, Innova, Minibuses. The power and torque depend on the type of application. AFAIK, the Innova application has 102 bhp output in all the countries.
1) Innova placement in market is not similar in all countries. Here, Innova is placed in higher price bracket so things have to be accordingly tuned ( just like ride height, suspension is tuned )
2) If Hilux can have MT 26 kgm 102 bhp, why cant MT Innova ?
If we can be the first to get 2NR-FE in Etios and 3NR-FE in Liva, why not Innova with MT/26kgm. Why also not an automatic Innova ?

Its just the ECU up-gradation which will manage the change, nothing more.

And again, I am in favor ( i.e. my view ) is that we must have the VGT 2KDFTV 4X2 Manual Fortuner.
A couple of images showing MT and 26 kgm. torque in Hilux.
Old 18th November 2011, 15:28   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm, A lower priced 2WD Fortuner & an Automatic could bring down the prices of current models in the used car market? I hope rest of the pack also follows these trends and reduce their prices [Aria, Captiva etc]. Or with a lower priced Fortuner, things will automatically be in place?

Quote:
Did you miss the images? Can't see any of those.
Old 18th November 2011, 15:32   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This should be worth the wait and a treat to watch
Old 18th November 2011, 16:01   #247
Senior - BHPian

Finally the SA accepted that the new one is coming on Jan 10th (or maybe start selling from Jan 10th) not sure. He seems to suggest there is not much change other then the front grill (No headlamps design change, no small gear lever), the Music system is changing as per him, it would be a touch screen without the Video and Bluetooth

Also seems like there will be new alloy wheels that will come with this truck.
Old 18th November 2011, 19:55   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As per the above post, would the 4WD manual sell at the same 20.5 lacs ex showroom ? if 4X2 sells at 18 lacs, 4X4 at 20.5 lacs seems targetable.
Old 18th November 2011, 23:52   #249
BHPian

Hope the newer, competitive pricing strategy due to be rolled out by TKM early next year does not drastically take it away from people who have recently bought the Fortuner (current gen).

Similar to the recent spectacle faced by Honda-Jazz owners..
Old 19th November 2011, 00:05   #250
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That is some good news. I simply hope the launch dates are true. If you "flip" a few pages backwards, the 4 x 2 AT was spotted in New Delhi. Where would this slot in? Possibly the new Fortuner versions could be

2WD MT - 18 Lakhs
2WD AT - 19.5 Lakhs
4WD MT - 21 Lakhs
4WD AT - 23 Lakhs

I just hope Toyota spoils its customers with such choices!!!
The Fortuner Classic will lose some of its value in the pre-worshipped car market.
Old 19th November 2011, 00:36   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Innova placement in market is not similar in all countries. Here, Innova is placed in higher price bracket so things have to be accordingly tuned ( just like ride height, suspension is tuned )
Is the ride height and suspension tuned for India. AFAIK, it is standard across, apart from the filipino "sport runner" model that comes with 215/60R15 tires and hence a few mm lower GC.

Quote:
2) If Hilux can have MT 26 kgm 102 bhp, why cant MT Innova ?
If we can be the first to get 2NR-FE in Etios and 3NR-FE in Liva, why not Innova with MT/26kgm. Why also not an automatic Innova ?
We can, BTW, does the Hilux have the same power band? check this link that talks about different hilux tunes
D-4D Engine of Toyota Hilux Vigo & Toyota Tiger 2.5 2KD FTV and 3.0 1KD FTV D4D D-4D 4x4 2500 cc 3000cc Engine 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 at Soni Motors - World's top 4x4 new and used second hand Vigo Exporter of Toyota Hilux Tiger,
It says " The direct injection engine under the code name " 2KD-FTV " with 2494 cc capacity, generates a peak power of 75 kw at 3,600 rpm, a maximum torque of 260 Newton-meter at 1,600-2,400 rpm. for the 4-wheel drive version. For the 2-wheel drive version, the peak power is 75 kw at 3,800 rpm, a maximum torque of 1,400-3,200 Newton-meter at 1,400-3,200 rpm. "

so the choice is again a peaky torque and a lower band or a lower torque but a very very wide band. If you need traction you will go for the former. For the Innova, I would prefer the latter - linear pull that lasts across the rev range. Note that peak power is same in both the cases.

Quote:
Its just the ECU up-gradation which will manage the change, nothing more.

And again, I am in favor ( i.e. my view ) is that we must have the VGT 2KDFTV 4X2 Manual Fortuner.
Unfortunately, no. Power upgrade means that Toyota needs to ensure that all components have to exhibit the same legendary reliability under a higher stress level. Right from the crankshaft bearings to gearbox to the rear drive-shaft. Heck, even the engine mounts will have a greater strain in this longitudinal engine mount design.
Please dont get me wrong, I am just stating the facts here. Of course we should expect a higher power and pickup in Innova. But the point is that apart from the 2.7VTVT gasoline version that comes in gulf, the diesel options are pretty much the same across the world. The biggest missing link in India is an Automatic that is available elsewhere.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 19th November 2011 at 00:38.
Old 19th November 2011, 09:57   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Did you miss the images? Can't see any of those.
My BNSL net connection would make world's most unreliable car brand proud....jokes apart, I did try to upload, but it was net issue which could not complete the procedure. Uploading in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
1) Is the ride height and suspension tuned for India. AFAIK, it is standard across, apart from the filipino "sport runner" model that comes with 215/60R15 tires and hence a few mm lower GC.

2) We can, BTW, does the Hilux have the same power band? check this link that talks about different hilux tunes
D-4D Engine of Toyota Hilux Vigo & Toyota Tiger 2.5 2KD FTV and 3.0 1KD FTV D4D D-4D 4x4 2500 cc 3000cc Engine 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 at Soni Motors - World's top 4x4 new and used second hand Vigo Exporter of Toyota Hilux Tiger,
It says " The direct injection engine under the code name " 2KD-FTV " with 2494 cc capacity, generates a peak power of 75 kw at 3,600 rpm, a maximum torque of 260 Newton-meter at 1,600-2,400 rpm. for the 4-wheel drive version. For the 2-wheel drive version, the peak power is 75 kw at 3,800 rpm, a maximum torque of 1,400-3,200 Newton-meter at 1,400-3,200 rpm. "

so the choice is again a peaky torque and a lower band or a lower torque but a very very wide band. If you need traction you will go for the former. For the Innova, I would prefer the latter - linear pull that lasts across the rev range. Note that peak power is same in both the cases.

3) Unfortunately, no. Power upgrade means that Toyota needs to ensure that all components have to exhibit the same legendary reliability under a higher stress level. Right from the crankshaft bearings to gearbox to the rear drive-shaft. Heck, even the engine mounts will have a greater strain in this longitudinal engine mount design.
Please dont get me wrong, I am just stating the facts here. Of course we should expect a higher power and pickup in Innova. But the point is that apart from the 2.7VTVT gasoline version that comes in gulf, the diesel options are pretty much the same across the world. The biggest missing link in India is an Automatic that is available elsewhere.
1) The suspension,etc. were fine tuned for Indian Conditions. Similarly, we can have better more powerful states of tunes, that is all I want to say.

2) Well, here are two images showing Hilux with 26 kgm. MT. If pickups can have it, why cant we ? Why not even around 115 bhp version with higher torque ? We had the Etios's unit as unique one ( we are the first one to get that ), why not being first in India to provide higher power and torque in Innova's 2KD-FTV ?
Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6-toyota-stuff.png
Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6-toyota-stuff-2.png

3) Well, its the same. The engines from Toyota generally are said to operate in state of tune of around 50%-60%. Generally, manufacturers keep the state of tune as 70-75%. Thats why when Pete's, etc. tuning boxes are installed, engines do not fail. Similar is case with the 20.4-26 kgm Toyota 2KD-FTV. Its just ECU ( but manufacturer tested ), not entirely different parts, etc.
Old 21st November 2011, 19:44   #253
BHPian

hello everyone
Today i have booked 2012 Toyota fortuner in silver , with strict condition with dealer is that the first new model will be mine in Surat (lets see how it goes)
After a long pursue behind Mahindra Xuv500 is finally not coming in Gujarat in 5 months so i decided to go for Toyota fortuner with new look 2012 and 4x4 Manual and booked one today.
My expected delivery time is MAY2012
Right now i am driving Toyota Innova 2.0 V (done 110000) is very good vehicle indeed.
Old 21st November 2011, 19:50   #254
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to kill everyones happiness, but I would be happier if Toyota were to improve the brakes and the performance of the fortuner! I find the brakes to be quite spongy and the performance does not at all feel like a 3 liter engine.

The Fortuner is an SUV in the luxury segment hence should have the proper sporty feel in terms of comfort, drive-feel and safety and not just a truck on four wheels.

This is were I feel very sad that Indians have to work twice as hard to obtain something which is doubly priced to them at half the quality. :-(.

Nitin
Old 21st November 2011, 20:09   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_trace View Post
...with strict condition with dealer is that the first new model will be mine in Surat (lets see how it goes)
Would not the new Fortuner start deliveries before May? If the car is launched in Auto Expo in Jan, is it going to take time till May for deliveries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Sorry to kill everyones happiness, but I would be happier if Toyota were to improve the brakes and the performance of the fortuner!
You might need to explain these better. From what I have read on the forum, the brakes were updated with a larger disc in the front and have been remarked as quite adequate by almost all owners. And regarding performance, the car has mighty torque from 1600 rpm or so, reaches to about 170 kmph without any fuss and also has a 12.5 seconds to the ton timing which is quite good by current SUV standards [C'mon it's better than some hatches and sedans (including petrol) as well].

Would you mind explaining these concerns a little more in detail so that we can understand the points well ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed