Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2011, 18:57   #286
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

All this talk about the Yen reminds me of Honda's behavior a few years back. It would greatly help Toyota if it look at Honda's situation.

If Toyota increases prices riding on the Yen excuse, why have the prices of the Prado, LC200 and Camry remained almost static for this long? And aren't the Innova/ Fortuner components sourced from SE Asia mainly?

The Innova has no real competitor, and the Fortuner has little by way of competition- so Toyota can do whatever they want. Let us hope the Ertiga to be reasonably spacious, Mitsubishi packages its Pajero Sport wisely, and the facelifted Captiva would be substantially improved without significant price revisions. The latter two, I know, are just "hope", not reasonable "expectation"!
Old 30th November 2011, 19:09   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
All this talk about the Yen reminds me of Honda's behavior a few years back. It would greatly help Toyota if it look at Honda's situation.

If Toyota increases prices riding on the Yen excuse, why have the prices of the Prado, LC200 and Camry remained almost static for this long? And aren't the Innova/ Fortuner components sourced from SE Asia mainly?
Exactly my point. I am not an expert in economics. But its not too tough to understand the basic logic that in today's competitive world when you start a business you factor in all these things. You cant give the excuse of rising yen etc and increase prices. You are only doing that because you know that you car is selling right now. But it doesn't take long these days for a competitor to gauge the market mood and launch a product which then becomes more VFM. A classic case of the Vento. For years together Honda had us believe that they will not provide any basic gadgets also in the car. They increased prices many a times. And then suddenly an equally good brand came out with a car and priced it much cheaper. Now no one sees Honda crying over increasing Yen or anyother excuse. They have drastically made price corrections. Toyota will follow the same course pretty soon. A simple case in point being the Altis. Toyota should seriously be ashamed that the diesel altis costs more then the Diesel cruze which has a way higher capacity engine and comes with all the bells and whistles. Whereas for the same model Toyota fails to even provide leather seats, forget about keyless entry, sensors everywhere and stuff.
Old 30th November 2011, 19:10   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath

I dont think 1000 units a month would warrant a case to manufacture locally. The amount of cost that they would spend in setting up a plant and mahinery would offset the gains that one would make and would be priced on equal grounds.
In fact, the Fortuner is already being made locally from CKD kits imported from Thailand factory (also getting benefit from the FTA that India has with Thailand) in the Bidadi plant. It also has almost 50 % local content ( current version). A lot of the parts are common with the Innova, as is Toyota's strategy for the IMV platform, on which the Innova, Fortuner and Hilux truck is based. The reasoning to raise Fortuner prices could be more to subsidize Innova and keep prices low for the Innova. The Fortuner is the provebial cash cow for Toyota in India, and they intend to milk it fully. But disruptive launches like the XUV can threaten their plans and Toyota will need to think fast and price the new Fortuner agressively to ensure that they maintain sales, else they will kill their golden goose!

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 30th November 2011 at 19:12.
Old 30th November 2011, 19:15   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
In fact, the Fortuner is already being made locally in the Bidadi plant. It also has almost 50 % local content ( current version). A lot of the parts are common with the Innova, as is Toyota's strategy for the IMV platform, on which the Innova, Fortuner and Hilux truck is based. The reasoning to raise Fortuner prices could be more to subsidize Innova and keep prices low for the Innova. The Fortuner is the provebial cash cow for Toyota in India, and they intend to milk it fully. But disruptive launches like the XUV can threaten their plans and Toyota will need to think fast and price the new Fortuner agressively to ensure that they maintain sales, else they will kill their golden goose!

Regards,
Behemoth
@Behemoth. Just trying to understand the 50% localisation a little better.

I think the following are imported for Fortuner and not made in India

Body Panels
Engine
Drivetrain
Tyres
Dash
Electronics

Are the following shared with Innova?

Seats
Steering

and what else do you think is shared that makes it 50% localised?
Old 30th November 2011, 19:34   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven

@Behemoth. Just trying to understand the 50% localisation a little better.

I think the following are imported for Fortuner and not made in India

Body Panels
Engine
Drivetrain
Tyres
Dash
Electronics

Are the following shared with Innova?

Seats
Steering

and what else do you think is shared that makes it 50% localised?
In my knowledge,most body panels are made in India, even though they are not shared with Innova. The interiors and dash are also local, including the seats. Apart from this the underbody or frame is same as Innova and made locally. Gearbox is also made locally. 50% localization is by value.
The biggest problem area for Toyota is the engine, which is imported assembled and now attracts higher duty slab of 30% for the CKd under the new rules. They already have plans for the engine manufacturing, but that will not be ready before end 2012, and is one of the cause of cost escalation.
Maybe someone with more information from other sources can also share their views.
Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 30th November 2011 at 19:41.
Old 30th November 2011, 19:38   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
In fact, the Fortuner is already being made locally from CKD kits imported from Thailand factory (also getting benefit from the FTA that India has with Thailand) in the Bidadi plant. It also has almost 50 % local content ( current version). A lot of the parts are common with the Innova, as is Toyota's strategy for the IMV platform, on which the Innova, Fortuner and Hilux truck is based. The reasoning to raise Fortuner prices could be more to subsidize Innova and keep prices low for the Innova. The Fortuner is the provebial cash cow for Toyota in India, and they intend to milk it fully. But disruptive launches like the XUV can threaten their plans and Toyota will need to think fast and price the new Fortuner agressively to ensure that they maintain sales, else they will kill their golden goose!

Regards,
Behemoth
Innova facelift is already seeing a drop in features and increase in price of 80K - 1 lac. Now sure how fortuner would subsidize innova.

I really wish they reduce / keep prices intact at the very least.
Old 1st December 2011, 20:33   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

From my friend who works in Toyota plant, "Fortuner facelift production started. The plan is to roll out the new ones from January onwards" This holds good for Facelifted Innova as well. The price hike he expects is in the range of 30K & not 80K.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 22:24   #293
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
From my friend who works in Toyota plant, "Fortuner facelift production started. The plan is to roll out the new ones from January onwards" This holds good for Facelifted Innova as well. The price hike he expects is in the range of 30K & not 80K.
This is good news. 30 K increase with the additions is welcome. Any insight on the pricing for the 2WD Manual and WD Auto?
Old 1st December 2011, 23:07   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
This is good news. 30 K increase with the additions is welcome. Any insight on the pricing for the 2WD Manual and WD Auto?
Nop, as I said he was traveling and could not extract much info!
Old 2nd December 2011, 18:27   #295
BHPian

Source: Car & Bike Facebook Page

Good news fortuner Autobox confirmed. January launch

Quote:
Toyota's Fortuner and Innova facelifts coming in Jan - minor facelifts but Fortuner will get an autobox. SVP
Old 2nd December 2011, 21:29   #296
Team-BHP Support

30 k may be doable for Fortuner but on the Innova I think they ought to hold price. It's already expensive IMHO.

Good to hear AT Fortuner coming. I'm a big fan of ATs but i have to say I spent a day with the Fortuner AT in Thailand and was a little disappointed. Very uninvolving drive. Hsvent driven a manual Fortuner so don't have a direct comparison perspective though
Old 3rd December 2011, 02:23   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Anyone knows what prices did the Fortuner start selling at and the current prices, both Ex showroom Delhi? Just wanted to know how much they have increased the prices in the last 2-3 years.
Fortuner started selling in Aug 2009 at 18,47,000 Ex-showroom Delhi. I am not aware of what the price is now but in July 2010 they were 19,53,000 Ex-showroom Delhi.

Hope this helps.
D4d-maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 06:31   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
Fortuner started selling in Aug 2009 at 18,47,000 Ex-showroom Delhi. I am not aware of what the price is now but in July 2010 they were 19,53,000 Ex-showroom Delhi.

Hope this helps.
Its Rs. 20,45,030 now, ex-showroom Delhi! Thats a neat 2L price rise in just 2 years. Toyota is really milking customers on this car.
Old 3rd December 2011, 07:05   #299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Its Rs. 20,45,030 now, ex-showroom Delhi! Thats a neat 2L price rise in just 2 years. Toyota is really milking customers on this car.
Petrol CRV 4*4 is Rs. 24,13,432.
Santa FE 4*4 is 23,46,500.
Captiva AWD is 19,93,547.

Fortuner 4WD is 20,24,030.

IMO Fortuner is still priced competitively compared to what the competition offers. Its only when compared to superb VFM products like the XUV5OO (from a segment down) that the fortuner appears to be overpriced.
Old 3rd December 2011, 07:26   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Petrol CRV 4*4 is Rs. 24,13,432.
Santa FE 4*4 is 23,46,500.
Captiva AWD is 19,93,547.

Fortuner 4WD is 20,24,030.

IMO Fortuner is still priced competitively compared to what the competition offers.
Absolutely, unless others reduce prices Toyota will continue to sell Fortuner at current levels. XUV/Safari are great products but not niggle free. Safari has the potential to challenge Fortuner as its got the same off-roading DNA but i do not see that happening anytime soon as far as quality issues with Safari is concerned.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed